300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling?

Recently I've been cycling up and down Big Shoals state park up in North Florida. First time I started, I got winded pretty quickly. Second time around I took it like a pro.

It seems to help me out endurance wise, and I feel good after every ride.

Any officers or prospective officer candidates around here cycle? If yes, how does it affect your health and fitness? Is it recommended for those looking to pursue a career in law enforcement; as in passing the academy?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Gringe View Post
    Recently I've been cycling up and down Big Shoals state park up in North Florida. First time I started, I got winded pretty quickly. Second time around I took it like a pro.

It seems to help me out endurance wise, and I feel good after every ride.

Any officers or prospective officer candidates around here cycle? If yes, how does it affect your health and fitness? Is it recommended for those looking to pursue a career in law enforcement; as in passing the academy?

Thanks in advance!
    Crossfit is my primary love and workout discipline, that always comes first everything else is second. But I do cycle two days a week now, nothing major, I ride no less than 40 miles each time out.

I was in the military and did the whole run, push-up, sit-up and pull-ups routines. It helped a little in basic but I should have done way more. To prepare for a LE Para-Military style academy I would be doing way more than cycling.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
      Crossfit is my primary love and workout discipline, that always comes first everything else is second. But I do cycle two days a week now, nothing major, I ride no less than 40 miles each time out.

I was in the military and did the whole run, push-up, sit-up and pull-ups routines. It helped a little in basic but I should have done way more. To prepare for a LE Para-Military style academy I would be doing way more than cycling.
      Wow! 40 Miles is a whole lot on a bike man! Any suggestions on what else I can do to prepare for academy? I've already looked up and down this forum for tips and advice, and have taken them all to heart.

Just looking for more as always.

Comment

Reason for Editing.
        Last edited by lazycop; 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM.
        Work smarter not harder!

Comment

Originally posted by Gringe View Post
          Wow! 40 Miles is a whole lot on a bike man! Any suggestions on what else I can do to prepare for academy? I've already looked up and down this forum for tips and advice, and have taken them all to heart.

Just looking for more as always.
          40 miles I the cycling world isn’t really much at all, it’s a warm up for the more serious riders. I have only been in the military and am working on getting into law enforcement but if the LEO academy is anything like basic training in the military I would do more than ride.

You would be a fool not to, make sure you can run. When I was prepping for basic training I started at 1 mile then the next week did 2, then 3 then, 4 etc.etc……

I was running five miles for fun on some days and would get up to 10 or 12 on the more serious days. I have the mentality that I would rather be over prepared instead of under prepared.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

There are few better ways to improve overall endurance than cycling. That being said, you probably won't be doing much cycling in the academy. If you want to improve your running, you need to run. Your body adapts to the stressors you put on it. Not only do you improve because you get stronger, your body also becomes more efficient at the movement. Running may seem like a simple activity, and at it's basic level it is. However, watch a novice runner, cyclist, weightlifter, etc. and an experinced one. You'll notice that the experinced runner, cyclist, weightlifter etc. does not seem to have any wasted motion, that all of their effort is used to propel them in the direction they want to go. Novices waste a good deal of effort on unnecessary movement.
            If you primarily ride the bike, and then start running in the academy, your lungs will probably be fine but your your legs and joints will be your downfall because they're not adapted to running and your form sucks. Likewise with pushups, situps and other academy staples. To improve on them you have to do them.
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I think cycling is one of the best ways to increase your overall fitness/endurance. You can still workout at a high rate, but when done properly, cycling is very easy on the body which decreases the time between workouts. Once you get going you can ride 3 hours each day, it'd be dumb to do that running.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3949 users online. 200 members and 3749 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X