300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Arms Bad for pull ups/push ups

Got a question for some of my lengthier fellows here. I absolutely hate push-ups and pull-ups because if I hold my arms out to my side....My Wing span is 74 inches. My arms are around 28 inches long and I have a bigger chest. I know short stockier guys have easier times doing these exercises because they're not going the distance I have to.

Are there any tips or tricks to make these exercises easier with such long arms? Trying to pull my frame up nearly 3 feet is rough

I hear ya. Try being long limbed and large in general. I'm 300 lbs and 6'4, and my wing span is up there too. Try widening your grip. Many will say its counter intuitive as it engages more pec in the push area then spreading it evenly between pec and tricep, and engages more upper back then shoulder in the pull up region, but I find it easier. It drastically cuts down on the total range of motion you have to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by Ra1nMak3R View Post
      Got a question for some of my lengthier fellows here. I absolutely hate push-ups and pull-ups because if I hold my arms out to my side....My Wing span is 74 inches. My arms are around 28 inches long and I have a bigger chest. I know short stockier guys have easier times doing these exercises because they're not going the distance I have to.

Are there any tips or tricks to make these exercises easier with such long arms? Trying to pull my frame up nearly 3 feet is rough
      Rainmaker, at just under 2m tall with the same wingspan, I understand where you're coming from but not sure what you need? What level are you at now? Where do you need to be? Are you really looking to make them easier or looking to do more?

About 3-4 months ago started getting back in shape but could only do 10 push-ups and zero pull-ups. Used the "100 pushups for breakfast" program (did have the link but goes somewhere else now) and the advice in this thread. Now up to 30 pushups and 5 pull-ups. My training hasn't been consistent over the last month but I'm sure you can do better

Also do a program of free weights stuff on off days and boxing.

Hope this helps and good luck.
      No-one is completely useless, they can always serve as a bad example

Comment

If you do it a lot more, it will get easier.

If you do it less, it will get harder.

Maintenence is the key.

M-11
        “All men dream...... But not equally..
        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

No offense but if it's harder for you build more muscle and it gets easier. I know it's easier said than done.
          Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

Comment

A wider grip can help out because it will be less move ment to the top of the bar. I am 6'2, a taller guy also and I can now do over 20 pull ups. There are a few things I have done to get me over 20. Pull up pyramids are a great thing! Start at one pull up, then do 5-10 pushups (or what is comfortable to you). Now to 2 pull ups and then 5-10 more push ups. Work your way to 5 pull ups and then push ups again. Now work your way back down to 1 pull up and then push ups. Once you can do that without a problem, just add more pull ups and push ups. Pushups by them selves is great also. Just do random pushups throughout the day, and do them as much as possible. Set yourself a daily pushup or pullup goal and then build on it. Get and stay on a good weightlifting back routine. I went from doing 10 pullups to over 20 by doing this. Just remember, a workout does not always have to be in a gym. Be creative, sneak in quick sets of pushups or anything like that in your work/office all throughout the day or when your on a run. STAY ON A ROUTINE and you will see positive results.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3746 users online. 218 members and 3528 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X