300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey Bacon and Sausage

To those of you who eat turkey bacon and/or sausage, does it really taste GOOD? Does it taste close to the real thing?

Any brands, or tips regarding it?

I love bacon and sausage... i dont eat either very often anymore. I thought i might try the turkey versions of each instead.

Thanks.

I go out and buy the Oscar Mayer/Louis Rich brand turkey bacon 4lbs at a time at Sam's Club. No, it doesn't really taste the same as the real thing. But it IS a healthier alternative. And it really doesn't taste all that bad.

At 35 calories per strip, I really don't have any issues with doing a couple extra pieces with my breakfast.

You can't approach it with the mindset that it's going to be an exact replacement for regular bacon.

Comment

Just eat the real stuff and work out a little harder.

Comment

It tastes GREAT!
        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by hxd View Post
          I go out and buy the Oscar Mayer/Louis Rich brand turkey bacon 4lbs at a time at Sam's Club. No, it doesn't really taste the same as the real thing. But it IS a healthier alternative. And it really doesn't taste all that bad.

At 35 calories per strip, I really don't have any issues with doing a couple extra pieces with my breakfast.

You can't approach it with the mindset that it's going to be an exact replacement for regular bacon.
          Thanks.

Yeah, youre right - and i guess i DONT expect it to taste exactly the same. I just had turkey meatballs one time in spaghetti, and to me - they were horrendous and i couldnt eat them. And i'm not a picky eater lol.

So - i was just checking. Thanks to all for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by MNCopper View Post
            Just eat the real stuff and work out a little harder.
            I know - but what about nitrites and all, does the turkey stuff have them??

Comment

The turkey bacon tastes close enough, however you have to fry the H.E.L.L outta it to get it crunchy. Turkey sausage (Louis Rich) The texture was off. I've made Meat Loaf with turkey instead of beef. It turned out alright. Lots of tomato paste,and seasonings
              "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group
              for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

Comment

Thanks.

And i like my bacon crunchy as he!! LOL

Comment

Never tried turkey bacon

Jimmy Dean has awesome turkey sausage patties

ground turkey for burgers and tacos are awesome also
                  Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Crunchy bacon? yuck - only on salad. I like my bacon like a steak - juicy and flexible - way more taste. We get ours from a butcher at 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Very tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller View Post

Jimmy Dean has awesome turkey sausage patties
                      Thanks, i saw them.

Comment

I prefer ground turkey breast to hamburger, usually... I like the less greasy taste, and for some reason, ground hamburger meat just kind of freaks me out. Anyway, the trick to a good taste is in the seasoning. Sorry you didn't like the turkey meatballs. I would recommend trying them again, but add some sort of flavoring. Or, sautee some onions and mushrooms to eat with them or something.

I enjoy bacon, but I don't enjoy it enough to deal with the mess of cooking bacon, so I don't really eat it. Turkey sausage patties are pretty good... as are turkey franks.

My favorite though, is turkey kielbasa sausage. Delicious. You cut it up in slices, or in half and then split it down the middle then just pan fry it for a few minutes to brown it a little. Awesome.
                        Last edited by Presence; 09-02-2008, 05:32 PM. Reason: *added "breast" to specify type of ground turkey.

Comment

...and if you're choosing ground turkey over ground beef for the health benefits, you need to make sure you read the labels. There is a distinct difference between "ground turkey" and "ground turkey breast."

Ground turkey breast is more "clean" and more lean. Plain old ground turkey often has less desirable parts of the turkey (including the skin) ground into it. At that point, you may as well be eating beef.

Comment

^ precisely. something i forgot to mention.

Comment

...all this bacon talk is making me hungry!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5489 users online. 349 members and 5140 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X