300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricep Exercises

Anyone have any unique ideas? I hate tricep extensions/skull crushers because I find it puts a lot of emphasis on my elbows and hurts my joints.

All I'm really doing now that concentrates on triceps specifically are weighted dips and close-grip bench press. I know other exercises like push-ups and flat bench-press contribute, but I'm looking for other good primary exercises for triceps. That's why I love dips so much, I feel like they're more concentrated than anything else.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Columbus View Post
    Anyone have any unique ideas? I hate tricep extensions/skull crushers because I find it puts a lot of emphasis on my elbows and hurts my joints.

All I'm really doing now that concentrates on triceps specifically are weighted dips and close-grip bench press. I know other exercises like push-ups and flat bench-press contribute, but I'm looking for other good primary exercises for triceps. That's why I love dips so much, I feel like they're more concentrated than anything else.

Ideas?

Thanks.
    dips can also be a lower chest workout as well. If you lean forward just a little as you do them it's hitting your chest primary. If you dip with your body vertical it hits the triceps more. but it is a great workout. I'll add triceps pull downs on the cables..
    Post clever signature here.....

Comment

Originally posted by Columbus View Post

Ideas?

Thanks.
      I know I proclaim to know everything about everything and I am the resident know it all about certain things, but when it comes to triceps I especially know what I am talking about

A long time ago a friend of mine, who to this day is the largest person I have seen in real life, told me to gain arm size work the triceps. They make up around 75% percent of the arm and go neglected by a lot of people.

The top two tricep exercises are the skull crusher and the close grip bench. If you are experiencing pain it could be due to form. 90% of the guys who do the skull crusher stick too much weight on and flair out their elbows which incorporates the shoulders -- this is bad form and adds pressure to the elbows which causes injury. Next time you are at the gym watch the guys, even the muscle heads, and their elbows will be out at their sides flairing out for the close grip and skull crushers. Concentrate on keeping your elbows tucked in and you will notice your tris are doing all the work.

The isolation exercises will hit the various triceps heads but the meat and bones are close grip and skull crushers, you can't sub for these exercises. Weighted dips are a distant third but as the other poster stated tilting forward hits the chest and staying erect hits the triceps. If you have V-shaped bars closer to the neck for tris and towards the opening and tilt forward for chest.

If you want to do the overhead tri extension, rope extenstion, or kickbacks go ahead, but if you want that envious horseshoe do the skull crushers.

Comment

try close grip bench with the ez curl bar. I usually hit the skull crushers and finish with the close grip(1-2 inches) makes for a nice burn....
        Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

I love dips between two benchs with a few 45's (3-5) stacked on your thighs. I get the most growth from them as compared to regular weighted dips, skull crushers, close grip bench (try it on a decline bench for more isolation), push downs, or kick backs. I also like doing behind the neck triceps extensions with larger dumbells, to grow the inner part of the muscle really thick, I have not gotten good results from the single arm version of the same exercise, for some unknown reason? The only problem is a spotter really helps with the bench dips and behind the neck extensions, but so do good close grip benches.

Comment

Just youtubed some videos of skull crushers...

How not do to them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c_YB...eature=related

More how not to do them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsftR...eature=related

Finally someone who can do them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgCRn...eature=related I alternate workouts between slow controlled and explosive movements on the way up --concentric contraction

Comment

Diamond pushups work for me! (make a diamond with your thumb/pointer finger of both hands)

Comment

If you concentrate on pushing heavier weights in the major exercises, your triceps will get bigger. I just don't bother with isolation exercises anymore. Get stronger on Shoulder/Military Press, any type of bench press, and/or dip and you will place respectable mass on your tris.
                Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Close Grip or Floor Press. You should be good to go with those.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

GrayPatriot: I'll give the skull crushers another shot and try to correct my form. Thanks.

Comment

Dips are great! I wear a backpack that I add weight to, I'm to 45 extra pounds...

Comment

I do the two handed dumbell above and behind the head while sitting in 3 sets of increasing weight....but after seeing that my form is probably wrong (elbows out), I am going to switch to this exercise instead - thank you!

Comment

can also try dumbbell pullovers. Not a primary tricep lift however triceps work as stabilizers, good way to beat em down before doing tricep isolation exercises.
                          Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Dips are great, expecially weighted dips. Just do not go below 90 degrees agle of a dip. Anything lower than that will put bad pressure on your shoulders. This can cause should pain which can turn into a bad deal.

Comment

check out this web site

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm
                              C H Hughes Rcso 27

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4241 users online. 250 members and 3991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X