300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin for weight loss?

Has anyone had any experience with this? I saw my doc yesterday and he wants to put me on Wellbutrin to help me with weight loss. Since I already exercise A LOT and still don't lose any weight, it's obviously my food intake that is the issue.

I'm a food addict and an emotional eater (I eat when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I'm mad, when I'm irritated, etc). Basically, if my mood swings, I eat and my moods are swinging constantly

He thinks the Wellbutrin will help with all this...Anyone else heard of this?

Originally posted by JMTX View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with this? I saw my doc yesterday and he wants to put me on Wellbutrin to help me with weight loss. Since I already exercise A LOT and still don't lose any weight, it's obviously my food intake that is the issue.

I'm a food addict and an emotional eater (I eat when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I'm mad, when I'm irritated, etc). Basically, if my mood swings, I eat and my moods are swinging constantly

Interesting I've never heard of that. Most anti-depresent side effects actually can increase weight and appetite. I trained for boxing a long time. When people ask me I tell them that there is no secret to losing weight. You have to exercise or be active obviously, and burn more calories than you're eating. I know it's easier said then done. I'm Italian, we eat in all situations; Mad, Happy, Sad etc. :-) Plus I have a sweet tooth.

Fad diets really don't work unless you stick with it for good. I found the best way of losing weight is to eat 5 to 6 small healthy meals a day, high in protein and good carbs. It keeps your metabolism going. Then pick one day a week where you can eat anything you want. Do a search for "Body for Life".

Comment

Until you cut out all the crappy food and huge amounts of it that you eat you are not gonna lose any weight
      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Weight loss while on Wellbutrin is well documented, but all of the factors at play are not yet fully comprehended.

As an antidepressant, Wellbutrin may help you to become more active. I'm not saying that you aren't active enough, but you may become more active while on it. Also as an antidepressant, it will likely help level out the mood swings that you have admitted trigger your eating patterns. In most people, Wellbutrin curbs cravings. This is one of the reasons it's also prescribed to help people quit smoking.

Basically, the doc is looking at your overeating as a disease and is trying to treat the underlying causes of the disease (mood swings, impulse control, etc.).

As an added bonus, Wellbutrin generally doesn't cause the sexual dysfunction that is well documented with many other antidepressants.
        Last edited by hxd; 08-14-2008, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Thank you HXD. Glad to hear that info! Also glad to hear there are no sexual side effects (not that I have a sex life right now, but that's a different story...)

As to the other responses, I know (as do most people) that weight loss has to do with calories in vs calories out. I know I eat too much and I eat the wrong things...I've admitted that on numerous occasions.

It's not a case of not understanding the science behind weight loss (remember, I keep all my ANIMALS on extremely strict diet/exercise regimens and they are all in spectacular shape.) For me, it's about the impulse control and the emotional eating.

Simply saying "don't eat so much" doesn't work for someone like me who has a real food addiction and who is an emotional eater. I think my doctor is really trying to be pro-active by looking at the REASONS I over-eat and helping me try to overcome that.

Comment

i would be really careful about taking any anti depressant drug for anything else unless it is for depression. it may have the benefit of weight loss but there are many other options out there. if you do decide to take it for weight loss make sure you do tons and tons of research on it.
            This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Comment

Well it's also being taken FOR depression, lol. This particular drug is OFTEN prescribed for reasons other than depression though (including cessation of smoking and chronic overeating.)

Many people over-eat because they have emotional issues...it's treating the cause of the over-eating.

My depression is a big part of my weight problems...I get depressed and I eat. I also have no impulse control.

I have done lots of research already and found nothing negative.

I took the medicine for the first time yesterday, at the introductory dose (you work up to a higher one) and I can tell you that I already feel amazingly better. I only ate 900 calories yesterday and I felt full all day.

Comment

Originally posted by JMTX View Post

You argued with me for an entire thread about how you need to be your size to do your job effectively, and now you are saying you are trying to lose weight?!?!
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Oh I've been trying to lose weight for years. I never said I didn't want to lose weight. Apparently you don't keep up with ALL my posts.

I didn't say I "need" to be this size to do my job. I said I think a girl my size is BETTER at holding her own in fights than a smaller girl. (And I stand by that statement.)

That said, I'm a woman (which means I'm capricious, prone to changing my mind, capable of fully believing in two contradictory view points, and unfathomable in general)...I'd rather be weaker in fights and better looking in a bikini if I had my choice After all, I can always count on you big strong men to come save the day right

I also feel that I'm better with my horseback riding when I'm smaller.

Besides, my mom says if I get to a size 5, she'll pay for my boob job and I'm getting to that age where I'm concerned about sagging
                  Last edited by JMTX; 08-16-2008, 05:29 PM.

Comment

It pleases me to hear that you've started to feel better. I'll offer a couple of additional pieces of unsolicited advice. You probably know this already; if so, let it act as a reminder.

1) Keep taking the meds as prescribed, even when you're feeling better. One of the things that frequently happens is people start feeling "normal" again and decide that they don't need their meds anymore. They subsequently take themselves off the meds, and often crash and are worse off than when they started.

2) Make sure you don't eat too little. Unless your doctor (or nutritionist) has instructed you otherwise, 900 calories isn't enough. At that low intake, your body tends to start burning muscle. When working with animals and inmates, you KNOW that can become dangerous.

Otherwise, keep working at it! Before long, you'll enjoy the new you!

Comment

Yeah, calorie wise I should probably be around 1300 actually.

I ate something I shouldn't have yesterday (cheese sticks) and then scimped to make up for it....by the end of the day, I guess I had scimped too much.

I also went grocery shopping and spent over 200$ on healthy food. I bought lots of lean meat and whole grain stuff, plus lots of healthy snacks (granola bars, yogurt, etc).

Because part of my problem is laziness, I went ahead and pre-portioned out EVERYTHING (meat, cereal, veggie slices, etc) into single serve portions where all I have to do is reach in the fridge and grab something when I'm hungry. Also got a hanging fruit basket and filled it with fruits and prepackaged low-cal snacks. Hopefully all these little things will help.

Comment

See if you can find someone in your area who has a Metacheck machine. To have the test done, they put you in a chair in a dark room and instruct you to relax as much as possible. Then you breathe (inhale AND exhale) through the machine. It takes a whole bunch of measurements and tells you what your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is. It's generally accurate to within 1-3%. That will give you a baseline for caloric intake.

Also consider eating multiple small meals throughout the day. If you should be taking in 1500 calories, shoot for 5 small meals of 300 calories each. This will help keep your metabolism more "even keeled" and you will have fewer dips and spikes.

And make sure you drink LOTS of water during the day.

Comment

I'd actually go for more than 5 small meals per day and go no less than six but maybe up to eight. The key is to graze.....but remain active as well. If possible, snack every couple of hours, and if you notice your putting on weight, adjust what needs to be adjusted. I always recommend the book Body For Life to give an outline.
                          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Wellbutrin (bupropion HCL) is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. As such it has stimulant effect that reduces depression and appetite, the latter of which effects is why it may be thought of as a weight loss drug.

There is a genetic variance in the population related to the ability of the body to destroy dopamine. Basically you get two copies of a certain gene that causes the production of a dopamine destroying enzyme, one copy from each parent. About a quarter of the population gets two "correct" copies, about a quarter gets two "incorrect" copies, and about half gets one of each.

Those with two incorrect copies are apt to be less susceptible to stimulant addiction, since inhibition of dopamine reuptake has less effect on them, and are more apt to have lower levels of endorphin-enkephalin production resultant from nociception.

Those with two correct copies, who consequently have lower dopamine levels, are apt to be more susceptible to stimulant addiction, and are more apt to find gratification from the internal endorphin-enkephalin production they encounter consequent to nociception.

About half the population is in between in these regards.

Comment

Wellbutrin = Zyban, which is approved to help people stop smoking.
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5410 users online. 275 members and 5135 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X