300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headache when I lift shoulders

This last month I have rededicated myself to lifting. I alternate chest-bicep-tricep one day and then shoulders-back the next...

The problem I am having is on days after I lift shoulders-back my neck gets so tight that it causes me to get a horrible headache later that evening... my neck gets real stiff and I can feel it all the way down my back...

I am doing the standard stuff... Military press, Shrugs, One arm raises, Fly raises, Pulldowns... nothing I really didnt do before... I am going heavy but thats because I want to gain strength... It has worked everywhere else.

Any ideas
    Retired 02/01/13

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post
    This last month I have rededicated myself to lifting. I alternate chest-bicep-tricep one day and then shoulders-back the next...

The problem I am having is on days after I lift shoulders-back my neck gets so tight that it causes me to get a horrible headache later that evening... my neck gets real stiff and I can feel it all the way down my back...

I am doing the standard stuff... Military press, Shrugs, One arm raises, Fly raises, Pulldowns... nothing I really didnt do before... I am going heavy but thats because I want to gain strength... It has worked everywhere else.

Any ideas
    could be a multitude of things however seeking a medical professional isnt a bad thing. I would guess thats its overtrainging....should probably limit day one to chest,shoulder, tri......heavy on the bench and mil.press will hit chest, shoulders, and tris....no need to do bicep same day because day two when doing back your using bicep in every back exercise

stretch stretch stretch...give yourself some time to foucs on stretching out the lats before hitting back....switch to a push/pull....day one push day/ bench press, db or bb, shoulder press, triceps, get rid of those fly raises, one arm raises..stick to your compound....day two pull/ lat pulldowns, rows, bo bbrows, shrugs(with shrugs go lighter weight and concentrate on the squeeze at the top) and replace your fly raises with face pulls....dont forget legs..if you want to increase size incorporating your legs(which are your strongest muscles) will release more natural gh and will lead to faster gain and overall strength..good luck.
    Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Thanks for the advice... Gonna try that stuff out...

I am getting rid of the fly raises... they just hurt, not the "good" hurt either...

Also, I have been going for about a mile jog every evening, so I have not been lifting with my legs... I am going to start though and on days I lift with legs I am going to go for a bike ride instead of run...
      Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Are you doing shoulder presses behind the neck? Or pulldowns behind the neck? IMO, that puts a great deal of stress on the shoulders as well and may be contributing to your headaches.
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post
          Thanks for the advice... Gonna try that stuff out...

I am getting rid of the fly raises... they just hurt, not the "good" hurt either...

Also, I have been going for about a mile jog every evening, so I have not been lifting with my legs... I am going to start though and on days I lift with legs I am going to go for a bike ride instead of run...

sounds like a plan. Another tip..when doing shrugs make sure you stick to shrugs with dumbbells...i was to the point of shrugging 300+ on barbell, and yes i got results and gained strength however i would always get what i considered stingers in my neck and shoulder area, however once i switched to dumbbell and made sure my arms were straight, and shoulders werepulled back before shrugging, i've seen better results and no pain......
          Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Stretch... My neck tightens up a lot and I get stiff. I just take a hot shower and stretch and I am like new again.

Comment

Sounds to me like lifters shoulder. There is one thing someone told me a long time ago which is a big cause of shoulder pain and problems. If you do a lot of dips, DO NOT go below a 90 angle angle with your elbows. When you do dips, don't dip down as far as you can go. It puts a lot of bad stress on your shoulders which will give you problems down the road, and a 90 degrees dip is just the same as dipping all the way down.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6486 users online. 354 members and 6132 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X