300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breathing techniques for running?

i was watching some old episodes of the academy season two and during running one morning one of the DI's was talking to a recruit and told her to remember the breathing techniques he taught her. do you guys know of any breathing techniques for running that might help? thank you
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Double the breathing pace about halfway through on a few of your more-than-one-mile runs. Then later try a gradually increasing breathing pace as the run proceeds. Also try varying how you let your abdominal muscles contain your diaphragm (low vs high breathing). Try some variations, and follow your intuition. As your muscles incur lactic acid buildup and go into oxygen debt, you need to increase the oxygen made available to them, and your breathing practices should be able to help.

Comment

ok thank you very much

Comment

I prefer gasping for breath and then waiting for the ambulance to come save me....

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz View Post
          I prefer gasping for breath and then waiting for the ambulance to come save me....
          haha same here but the ambulance company is tired of seeing me, lol

Comment

And it's also best to try to NOT inhale insects when you're running outside.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
              i was watching some old episodes of the academy season two and during running one morning one of the DI's was talking to a recruit and told her to remember the breathing techniques he taught her. do you guys know of any breathing techniques for running that might help? thank you
              In through your nose and out through your mouth is the best technique. I used to box professionally and did a lot of running. Eventually I was able to train myself to breathe out of my nose only. So to replicate having a mouth piece in when fighting. Once you're able to relax and not worry about your breathing, running becomes much more enjoyable. Then your body will get tired long before you run out of breathe.

Comment

I listen to headphones so I dont have to hear myself breathe... I cant stand it... its all mental... I hear myself breathing heavy and I think I am tired... I dont hear it, and I can keep going
                Retired 02/01/13

Comment

I think trying to control your breath during a run, only makes things worse. I think it is best to just breath naturally. Only thing I do is a few times throughout my run, I recite the ABC's out loud. If I can say the full alphabet without gasping between breaths, I am at a comfortable running pace. Depending on the training day, this would mean either speed up or keep the pace I have.

Comment

When I run it seems to me that my throat/nose area burns like H.E.L.L (Can you say that here?) If you can do it without choking on them, cough drops work well. Line your nose, throat area, wet the mouth and gives you something to focus on besides how much your lungs hurt, legs tired, back sore.
                    "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group
                    for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

Comment

philllyfighter is right..but that is hard for me to do.

I have always breathed very deep slow breaths to keep my body relaxed. This imo enables me to not freak out like big cop mentioned.
                      www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Well I had always hated running but somehow learned to like it. I am not one to listen to music while running because I like to hear what's going on around me. When the goin' gets tough, I say a mantra in my mind . . . "I love" (breathe in, two steps) "to run" (breathe out, two steps). If I run slow enough, I can do the breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth thing, but I get a much better workout if run at a faster pace and breathe in and out with my mouth. The bugs suck, but, hey, they're protein right?

Comment

in the military it is taught to breathe in for three and out on the fourth in a short bursts. so a straight inhale until your lungs are full enough and the a short bursts to expel out the CO2. this is what i use and i have never gotten a side cramp. i start running breathing in like this through my nose and out through my mouth like mentioned earlier and then after some distance it is both nose and mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                            in the military it is taught to breathe in for three and out on the fourth in a short bursts. so a straight inhale until your lungs are full enough and the a short bursts to expel out the CO2. this is what i use and i have never gotten a side cramp. i start running breathing in like this through my nose and out through my mouth like mentioned earlier and then after some distance it is both nose and mouth.
                            That's kind of how I do it. I actually say "Hi-Yah" as a I breathe when running hard because it makes me contract my abdominal muscles in a way that seems to be more oxygen efficient. Everyone has to find their own trick, but the theory is basically always the same-more efficient transfer of oxygen to your blood by your lungs.

Comment

When I'm running at a good pace I breathe in over three steps and out over three steps. I use it to judge my pace: four and four is too slow; two and two is too quick. I was taught to concentrate on contracting my abs to breathe out and really clear the lungs. To breathe in, just relax your abs and air is naturally drawn in. It apparently provides better air circulation and you get two workouts for the price of one!
                              No-one is completely useless, they can always serve as a bad example

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4617 users online. 289 members and 4328 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X