300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Shell Extractors

So, I recently purchased a broken shell extractor because I've heard on a few occasions that its a good tool to have for my soon to be complete AR. I feel silly asking this but I cannot find anywhere online that gives any kind of instruction for one. Its not something I need to know immediately but would like to know for the future. Thanks
    -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
    -Daniel Silva

Lock the bolt to the rear. Drop the extractor into the chamber, let the boltgo forward. Pull charging handle all the way to the rear, it will extract the extractor and hopefully the remaining brass. If you are not in the middle of a firefight, clean your chamber thoroughly before resuming fire.

Comment

Pretty much.

I have never had to use one, but I still keep one in my toolbox.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

about the only time I've ever needed one is when the head seperated from the body cause I reloaded a cartridge too many times out of lazynes .Seen a few busted extractors tho......
        Originally posted by mookster
        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
        Originally posted by CityCopDC
        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

I had a broken shell in one of my AKs. I went ahead and picked up a broken shell extractor for my AR after that.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

jwise,
            was it a case head seperation? was it in 7.62 x 39 ?
            Last edited by asullivan; 08-06-2008, 02:14 PM. Reason: addition
            Originally posted by mookster
            Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
            Originally posted by CityCopDC
            I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
            Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
            I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
            -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

I've been shooting ARs and M1As for 30+ years in high power. I never needed one until I tried using once fired federal match brass. I've had the extractor since I was Weapons Sgt in a NG SF Company and never used it. Until this summer using the above mentioned brass. What happens is the neck it pulled off at the shoulder, leaving the neck and top have of the shoulder in the Chamber. I was lucky, I was at home shooting in my back yard range and not at a match. Its never happened to any other brass I've use so its not the gun. Anyway, it stays in my shooting stool now. Maybe I wont have to use it, but it dont take up much room.

I made mine from a M-60 Broken Shell extractor. I just use the spring part, (not the center shaft). When I get a stuck case, I push the extractor through the case in the chamber until the lips click outside the neck, then I take a cleaning rod (using a rod guide) from the muzzle and the case comes right out.

I've never needed one in an AR but that don't mean I'm not gonna put one in the stool just in case.

The time to learn to use it is now and not when you need it. If you can't figure out how, post a picture of your BSE and I'll see if I can give a bit of guidence.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158498 users online. 135 members and 158363 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X