300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhawk SERPA level 3 holster question

I just got my new Blackhawk SERPA level 3 duty holster with the light-bearing module on it, and my new Xiphos weapon light. What an awesome holster! I can draw so much faster with this level 3 than I could with my previous level 2 holster.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what the extra screw hole is on the back side of the holster all the way at the bottom? There's no mention of it in the manual, but it has a threaded insert to accept a screw. I don't think it does anything honestly, but I was just wondering if anybody knew why it's there?

I don't have any first hand experience with the holster your talking about, but could it be used to attach the holster body to a drop leg platform?

Comment

I too have this set up and love it. My only complaint is that the xiphos will not fit in a normal light bearing holster nor will other lights fit in this holster. At first I did not like how low the holster was, but have since became accustomed to it.

I never noticed that hole that you speak of, but had to go look. I have no clue what that is for, but like omega said, maybe it is for a leg holster of something. Who knows.

Comment

Perhaps they use the same mold and construction for multiple platforms and leave off what they don't use in some models? Just a guess.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

As stated, the hole is for the thigh paltform. I like mine so much that I ordered a second one and removed the duty belt mount and replaced it with another serpa's paddle. 99% of the time I don't wear a whole duty belt but I feel better about the added retention.
          "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people [email protected], then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

I want one, but the are not, or have not made them lefty for a G21 yet. I had my local dealer call blackhawk, and their rep said they are not sure when it will be available.

How is that light? I have heard a mix of good and bad. I hear the light is ok, but over all quality sucks. I do hear the strobe is a great function.

Comment

Love mine, the light is good also. The screw on the bottom to drop platform as mentioned already.

Comment

It is a great set up and yes the screw hole is change platforms
                Last edited by playmaker; 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM. Reason: message delated

Comment

Don't know what the problem would be with the screws snapping off, never had the problem.

However, after a while, on mine the screws loosen up just a tad.

Easy fix for that is to go by an auto parts store and buy a small tube of Loctite. Put just a dab of it on the threads, and tighten them down. Problem solved.

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                  "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

Now here is a challenge for any of you with these new fangled plastic modular holsters.

Unload and holster your weapon. Go find the biggest mongo looking cop you can. Have him grab the butt of your gun and attempt to rip it out of the holster. Does the weapon stay locked in? Can you draw when Mongo is done? Did it take the holster out of service? Please find out before you take that thing out on the street. I have seen holsters fail in training that would have killed the officer if it happened on the street.

I work in crowds frequently. I have no need of a level 3 holster that cannot pass this test. I have not used a SERPA yet, but the models I have handled do not inspire confidence that they would be able to hold up to what I have put my Safariland holsters through.

Also, IIRC the Xiphos was designed to work specifically with the SERPA and vise versa. It's unlikely that you will see either a Xiphos holster from another manufacturer or a Serpa for any other light.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                      Now here is a challenge for any of you with these new fangled plastic modular holsters.

Unload and holster your weapon. Go find the biggest mongo looking cop you can. Have him grab the butt of your gun and attempt to rip it out of the holster. Does the weapon stay locked in? Can you draw when Mongo is done? Did it take the holster out of service? Please find out before you take that thing out on the street. I have seen holsters fail in training that would have killed the officer if it happened on the street.

I work in crowds frequently. I have no need of a level 3 holster that cannot pass this test. I have not used a SERPA yet, but the models I have handled do not inspire confidence that they would be able to hold up to what I have put my Safariland holsters through.
                      It's hard to bash the SERPA around here because of its popularity. I have read plenty of interesting cases of the SERPA failing and even causing a couple NDs in training. Some self defense schools (Frontsight, TDI, etc) no longer let someone use a SERPA while in their training program. A couple of these guys who run these schools will also not stop bashing the SERPA platform. It's an interesting controversy to say the least because the SERPA has become so popular within an LEO community, and some of the most respected guys in the gun defense field have touted the SERPA as a dangerous platform. I don't take any opinion on the matter (I don't own one), but interesting to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                        I have read plenty of interesting cases of the SERPA failing and even causing a couple NDs in training.

In law enforcement work some might call that a "clue".
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

One of my TS used to call Blackhawk gear "Gear for airsofters".

Never used any, never will.
                          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                            In law enforcement work some might call that a "clue".
                            Especially when you have experienced LEOs NDing into their own legs? I call that a smoking gun.

HIYOOOO

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4643 users online. 285 members and 4358 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X