300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-Auto Cleaning...

What methods and products do you use to clean your Semi Auto handgun?

The way I was taught to clean handguns is this:

1. Take gun apart
    2. Use Hoppe's #9 and a toothbrush to clean interior and exterior surfaces of the gun, then use a towel and q-tips to remove solvent and fouling.
    3. Use bore brush and Hoppe's to clean bore, then patches to remove solvent and fouling.
    4. Use oil from gun cleaning kit to lube as directed in manual
    5. Put gun back together and give it a final wipe down.

Anyone products work better for cleaning than Hoppe's #9 solvent?

Anyone try the Semi Auto Specific solvent? Its supposed to not leave any residue.
    Currently in the Academy

I use Hoppes #9 for my Precision Rifle.

Everything else gets Break Free CLP.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Gun Scrubber works quite well for me.
      Followed by a brush.

I use Rem oil or Break Free CLP depending on whether I am going to carry or store the weapon.

I also advocate the mandatory use of a Bore Snake as well.
      ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

I disassemble the pistol, spray the barrel (only the barrel) out with carb and choke cleaner, it washes all the carbon out of the barrel so I don't waste time cleaning out carbon instead of fouling. I normally use Hoppes #9, swab the bore, brush the bore, more Hoppe's then clean, dry patches.
        I usually use spray penetrating oil to clean the action.
        I lube with a light oil, Rem oil is good, so is 3 in 1. CLP is a good lube, bad cleaner.

Comment

M Pro 7 also works well. When time permits, after heavy shooting, I'll soak the barrel overnight in the #9, then run a few patches and the barrel is like new clean.

Comment

Against the grain

While going water based was a big change I more and more use hot water and simple green, blow out with air hose, let set dry due to heat from hot water, lightly oil and re-assemble.

Comment

I just take it to the shower with me

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
                While going water based was a big change I more and more use hot water and simple green, blow out with air hose, let set dry due to heat from hot water, lightly oil and re-assemble.
                One benefit David is that it does not cost measurably more to use PLENTY of it....typically you will not run out of it either. Normal simple green is bad for aluminum however, worth mention. I think SG does make an aircraft oriented cleaner that IS ok for aluminum don't they ??

Bill
                Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6144 users online. 337 members and 5807 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X