X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TimK
    replied
    Originally posted by jwise View Post
    Looks GOOD! Now, check the white balance on your camera setting, and set it for indoor incandescence lighting. Then, be sure to focus...
    Heh. There's one vendor on gunbroker who doesn't compensate for his bright red background on soviet gear and bleeds the blacks to a rust brown.

Would you pay top dollar for this?

Leave a comment:

• ABC144
    replied
    Originally posted by jwise View Post
    Looks GOOD! Now, check the white balance on your camera setting, and set it for indoor incandescence lighting. Then, be sure to focus...
    Thanks!
    The focus was ok. The shutter speed was a bit slow and I wobbled. Note to self: Invest in a tripod.

Leave a comment:

• jwise
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ABC144
    replied
    Ok guys I was convinced. It took a while to get everything together. CMMG upper and lower. I bought the complete lower at a local gunshow before the hysteria (election). I ordered the complete upper from aimsurplus the day after the election. I put an inexpensive UTG rear sight on it just so that I can put some rounds through it. The current economic depress....oops. I mean recession has put the rest of the toys on hold.

And here it is!

disclaimer: new camera, still tinkering with it.

Last edited by ABC144; 03-09-2009, 12:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lalakai
    replied
    Originally posted by ABC144 View Post
    Ok, I'm not quite ready trash the Mini-14 yet. It still has its uses.

jwise... expect a pm for the specifics on ordering if that is the route that I decide to take.
    what you need to identify now, is what you expect/demand/require from your M4 platform; plinker, home defense, battle spec. gun, tack driver, ect.. Each identification will have it's corresponding cost, and only you can determine which are priorities. The tack driver may not be best choice for a battle gun; plinker is your Mini-14, home defense different from tack driver but could be same as battle gun. If you are patient and do your homework, you can get a very decent platform, and not exceed your $679 (by too much )

most people here observe the rule: buy once, buy right. you can compromise on a plinker, but definitely not on home defense or battle. buy the very best that your wallet will allow and you won't be sorry. good luck and welcome to the world of the Black Rifle................may god have mercy on your soul. lol

ps....good reference point leaning on jwise for info.
    Last edited by lalakai; 08-04-2008, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Badkharma
    replied
    Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
    The Ruger Mini 14 was quite popular on the TV series the A-Team because they could save money using live ammo over TV blanks and not have to worry about any actors being hit.
    LOL!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Nightshift va
    replied
    I'm strongly considering buying my secong Ruger Mini-14 in a couple of weeks. Let me hear your best arguments for or against. Mainly why the AR would be better.

Ready... GO!!!
    Go with the AR FOR two reasons: 1) You already have a mini 14 why get two. and more important 2) the AR is a better weapon.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    Indeed. It makes a pretty reliable club, for example.

Leave a comment:

• David Hineline
    replied
    The Ruger Mini 14 was quite popular on the TV series the A-Team because they could save money using live ammo over TV blanks and not have to worry about any actors being hit.

Leave a comment:

• ABC144
    replied

I am leaning toward am M4 more now than before. Besides, if things go bad in November I need to get one before the next useless weapons ban comes along.

jwise... expect a pm for the specifics on ordering if that is the route that I decide to take.

Thanks guys, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know that you care so much!

Leave a comment:

• ArkansasFan24
    replied
    Ok, let me add to the scenario.

Which would you by for $674 plus tax?
    I'd get the AR. I already have one, and I'd buy another one before I'd get a mini 14. It's further down the list.

Leave a comment:

• jwise
    replied

We didn't say the AR was cheaper, only better....

Leave a comment:

• Blackdog F4i
    replied
    Plinker? Get a plain jane DPMS (around $700). Or build your own.

If it's a battle rifle, then you need to save some more cash.

Leave a comment:

• zeplin
    replied
    For all of the above reasons and more, I would never pay for a Mini-14 and if someone gave me a Mini-14 I wouldn't keep it any longer than it took me to sell it.

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied

That's about the going rate for a standard brand new Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. You could spend that on an AR upper alone to get something decent.

REASONS TO GO WITH THE AR:

You can change the character of the rifle completely with the push of a couple of pins. For example, you could have a heavy barreld target upper with a scope and bipod one minute, and a short barreled carbine the next, both operating on the same platform, taking the same mags and ammo.

The AR15 has sooooo many goodies available for it that the possibilities for configuration are limited only by your imagination; it can be purpose-built to accomplish virtually any mission suitable to a center fire rifle.

Magazines are plentiful and cheap for the AR15(where they are legal, which is almost anywhere but CA).

Don't forget to explore some of the others in the AR family such as the AR10 (7.62x51), AR15's chambered in 6.8SPC, 7.62x39 and practically any "standard" pistol caliber.

The Mini14 is a piece of ****.
    Last edited by The Dude; 08-01-2008, 02:05 AM. Reason: added the word "standard"

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5738 users online. 351 members and 5387 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X