300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody convicne me...

I'm strongly considering buying my secong Ruger Mini-14 in a couple of weeks. Let me hear your best arguments for or against. Mainly why the AR would be better.

Ready... GO!!!
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Accuracy, Durability, Customization, Ergonomics.

All of the advantages go to the AR. Ruger had to come up with a "special" target model Mini to be able to claim MOA accuracy. Most high quality AR's are capable of that with proper ammo and the right driver.

Lets not even mention magazine availability.
    Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 08-01-2008, 09:08 AM.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Arguments for the AR:
      Superior ergonomics, superior reliability, superior accuracy, the ability to co-witness the iron sights with a red dot sight, 1:7 rifling twist is more versatile, availability of inexpensive quality magazines such as P-Mags, more versatility in accessories such as free float quad rails and the ability to easily install vertical foregrips and lights, etc...

One thing that is important to me is the location of the safety. I strongly dislike the placement of the M1 Garand, M14/M1A, & Mini-14 safety.

When you need to deploy the weapon you either keep your finger in the trigger guard to be ready to disengage the safety (bad bad bad), you disengage the safety in advance to be ready (bad bad bad), or you keep your finger indexed on the stock and when a threat appears you put your finger in the trigger guard disengage the safety and then press the trigger (slow compared to an AR).

Just my personal opinion, good luck with your decision.

Comment

If you haven't had any problems with your first, congratulations!

Don't press your luck buying a second one...
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Ok, let me add to the scenario.

Which would you by for $674 plus tax?
          ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC144 View Post

That's about the going rate for a standard brand new Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. You could spend that on an AR upper alone to get something decent.

REASONS TO GO WITH THE AR:

You can change the character of the rifle completely with the push of a couple of pins. For example, you could have a heavy barreld target upper with a scope and bipod one minute, and a short barreled carbine the next, both operating on the same platform, taking the same mags and ammo.

The AR15 has sooooo many goodies available for it that the possibilities for configuration are limited only by your imagination; it can be purpose-built to accomplish virtually any mission suitable to a center fire rifle.

Magazines are plentiful and cheap for the AR15(where they are legal, which is almost anywhere but CA).

Don't forget to explore some of the others in the AR family such as the AR10 (7.62x51), AR15's chambered in 6.8SPC, 7.62x39 and practically any "standard" pistol caliber.

The Mini14 is a piece of ****.
            Last edited by The Dude; 08-01-2008, 02:05 AM. Reason: added the word "standard"

Comment

For all of the above reasons and more, I would never pay for a Mini-14 and if someone gave me a Mini-14 I wouldn't keep it any longer than it took me to sell it.
              sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Plinker? Get a plain jane DPMS (around $700). Or build your own.

If it's a battle rifle, then you need to save some more cash.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

We didn't say the AR was cheaper, only better....
                  J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I'd get the AR. I already have one, and I'd buy another one before I'd get a mini 14. It's further down the list.

Comment

Ok, I'm not quite ready trash the Mini-14 yet. It still has its uses.

I am leaning toward am M4 more now than before. Besides, if things go bad in November I need to get one before the next useless weapons ban comes along.

jwise... expect a pm for the specifics on ordering if that is the route that I decide to take.

Thanks guys, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know that you care so much!
                      ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

The Ruger Mini 14 was quite popular on the TV series the A-Team because they could save money using live ammo over TV blanks and not have to worry about any actors being hit.

Comment

Ok, I'm not quite ready trash the Mini-14 yet. It still has its uses.
                          Indeed. It makes a pretty reliable club, for example.

Comment

I'm strongly considering buying my secong Ruger Mini-14 in a couple of weeks. Let me hear your best arguments for or against. Mainly why the AR would be better.

Ready... GO!!!
                            Go with the AR FOR two reasons: 1) You already have a mini 14 why get two. and more important 2) the AR is a better weapon.
                            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
                              The Ruger Mini 14 was quite popular on the TV series the A-Team because they could save money using live ammo over TV blanks and not have to worry about any actors being hit.
                              LOL!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5454 users online. 353 members and 5101 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X