300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Jwise, Surf etc...

Okay guys, I've got my AR up and running (M&P15 OR). Currently, I have a C-more mounted, along with a set of Troy BUIS. I like a lot of things about the C-more, battery life isn't one of them, especially when I forget to turn it off.
    I can't afford the high dollar sights (I had the C-more from before, it was a gift). Here's the thing, Midway has the Aimpoint 9000Sc on sale, it does not have all the bells and whistles, but is does have the long battery life, and it is an Aimpoint. However, the ocular lens looks a bit small, will I be able to co-witness my sights through this small ocular? (it's a 30mm tube) It also has a 4 MOA dot.
    What are your opinions?
    And of course anyone else that has something constructive to say.

Call LaRue Tactical, inform them of your LE status for a discount and then buy an ML2 or an M3 combo with their throw lever mount.

The standard cost of the ML2 w/ mount is $490, and I think the LE discount is 10%, so your looking at approx $450 w/ shipping.

The standard cost of the M3 w/ mount is $589, and I think the LE discount is 10%, so your looking at approx $540 w/ shipping.

How much is a mount for the 9000SC?

That is my personal opinion anyway, good luck

Comment

Thanks for the reply, the 9000SC uses standard 30mm rings, I would go with the excellent burris tactical rings for that. The 9000SC is 250 bucks from midway.

Comment

So how much are the rings $50? If the rings are $50 and the 9000SC is $250, your looking at $300.

For a $150 bucks more, you could have a rock solid throw lever mount, and a smaller unit taking up less real estate on your rail so that in the future you could have the option to step up to a Aimpoint 3X magnifier.

Good luck with your decision,

Comment

It is still 150 bucks I don't have to spend. The ring is 30 dollars, so I'd be set for 280 bucks and change. I understand where you are coming from, and I don't disagree, but my goal is highest quality for the most reasonable expenditure.

I can not see any reason that I would need a magnifier, I am not going to try to make precision shots with a 16 in, chrome lined carbine.
          I do appreciate your input.

Edit: apparently it does require 2 rings which would be just over 50 bucks.
          Last edited by fdkay; 07-31-2008, 06:19 PM.

Comment

My honest opinion is to SAVE the cash you would spend on the 9000 until you can afford the extra $150 for the ML2.

I used irons for a long time and they can still be fast in CQB if you know how to use them. They are a hell of a lot faster than trying to shoot through a broken/fogged up lesser optic.

I will take irons over a cheap optic any day.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I don't think the 9000 is a "cheap" optic. It just doesn't have the features that the more expensive Aimpoints have. Kinda like M2 vs M3.
              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Blackdog- I believe the 9000 was used by the .mil at some point. Did you ever use one, or hear of any negatives from those who did?

I have to admit to never using one, so I have no firsthand experience.
                J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

After reviewing the facts I will remove my foot from my mouth. I went to aimpoint's website and did a little research on that optic. It appears that it may be an OK solution if you don't want to spend the extra cash.

Its a little heavier, not as water resistant and the optics are not coated as well. They had to save the money somewhere.

If you REALLY need a dot sight NOW then it would work. It's better than some of the crap I have seen on rifles here.

Still, I would HIGHLY suggest waiting and saving for that extra $150 and buy a proven combat optic.

jwise, I have not used nor seen one when I was active. The only optics that we got for the M16A2 were ACOGs.
                  Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 08-01-2008, 12:28 AM.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

We had a few 9000s in the arm's room. Never touched them though. Highly doubt they even worked anymore.

If we're talking about a fighting rifle here fdkay, I agree with BlackDog. Wait it out. You'll be thankful you did the first time you pull it out in rain... or drop/bump the optic....

Just my .02..
                    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

In all honesty a tubular, non-magnified optic is not my first choice. Even though the optic is parallax free the tube does require a more strict eye relief, as is the case with my CQT. While it is not a huge problem, it is still not my ideal set up. Having said that, it is a positive that it is an Aimpoint and durability and batt life tend to go hand in hand with the brand name. I am not sure about the co-witness issue but my guess is that the ring height would make that an issue and probably won't work. Can't say for sure.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Some mounts are offered with spacers to adjust the height. You might need to play around a bit to get it to co-witness.

Comment

I am a bit more worried that the rings would make the optic too high for a co-witness. So if you have a fixed FSB you might have issues. If the mounts are higher to allow for a co-witness then perhaps you could go with a flip up style FSB and then a spacers might help fore and aft. But if your on a budget then again price would be a concern.
                          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.
                            I have Troy BUIS installed, that alone was 250 bucks, I then had to order an extra long front sight pin in order to get a 50 yard zero. So my expenditures have been creeping up. I like the C-more, but it eats batteries and they aren't cheap.
                            I sent an e-mail off to Aimpoint yesterday, no response today, if they take too long to respond or if they don't bother, that will help me make the decision. I don't like to deal with companies that take their customer base for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by fdkay View Post
                              Thanks for all the replies.
                              I have Troy BUIS installed, that alone was 250 bucks, I then had to order an extra long front sight pin in order to get a 50 yard zero.
                              Do you have Troy Battle sights both front and rear, or only rear? If you are using both front and rear why did you need to buy a new front sight post? If you are only using a Troy rear why did you pay $250, a rear is only $140 MSRP?

This issue brings up another question, do you have a railed handguard or a standard handguard? If you only have a standard handguard, do you have enough room to install the 9000SC and the Troy rear sight on the receiver?

Good luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4270 users online. 240 members and 4030 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X