Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fedaircop
    replied
    I carried a 640 and a model 60 as back ups and off duty guns for years. The 640 was exceptionally accurate I actually shot a better score with it than I did with my Glock 19. We issued some that were chambered for .357 the one I carried was just a .38 but it was a great little concealment gun. We finally were forced to carry the Glock 26 and now the H&K P-2000 SK. Both of which are fine weapons but not nearl as concealable as the 640 or the 60.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    In my younger days, I tried carrying a K-frame, round butt S&W inside the waistband. It was very uncomfortable due to the cylinder width. I'd imagine an N-frame would be much worse and I'm sure you'd have to "supersize" your pants' width and belt to accommodate the change. Shortly after my "experiment", I decided that concealing a semi-auto pistol was much more practical. Let us know how the big revolver works for you!

Leave a comment:

• Nightshift va
    replied
    can't beat a good revolver for back up or off duty carry. I carry my jframe 638 with good ammo either inside the pant or in front pocket everywhere when im off. I also carry a 3inch Ruger sp101 in 357magnum. Truthfully atleast for inside the pants holsters revolvers even the larger framed ones ride on your body more comfortably and are easier to get to the way the grips are "hooked" versus digging out most semi's. My next one will be one of those "Nightguard" 8shot N frame scandium 357's for inside the pant carry. To me they are the ultimate solution for off duty carry. The only real issue is that the ballistics of a 357magnum do not reach their true potential unless they are fired from a 4inch barrel or longer.
    Last edited by Nightshift va; 07-30-2008, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I carried a 642 in a vest holster, until my agency went to Glock27s for everyone. I prefer the 642 as it sits better and slimmer in a vest holster. I moved the 27 to an ankle holster.
    I'm not exactly a wimp, but putting 50+ rounds through a 642 can start to smart. But its still fun.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    It's never seemed like a good policy to me, when agencies take away weapon(s) officers have experience with and force them to use something new that they'll never have time to develop the same level of proficiency with. We had officers who'd used revolvers for 20+ years, used them well and for their last few years would never be as competent with their new guns as the old. Fortunately, our department didn't mandate the change.

Re: retirement- Yea. Thanks for asking. I'm getting used to it. I just got my PI license and will probably start doing some work in the next few weeks. Not in a big hurry to start and have a few fishing/hunting/vacation cruise trips to do first.

Also (coincidentally enough) just a couple of weeks after retiring, an old friend tracked me down via the internet. She's a writer and we've been discussing a project. Might be interesting.
    Last edited by pulicords; 07-30-2008, 02:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1042 Trooper
    replied
    Originally posted by pulicords View Post
    No "department approved, personally owned" duty weapon options huh? Too bad. I carried a department revolver (Model 67 S&W .38) for about 1.5 years out of 30+ years of carrying. All the rest of my time was with weapons that were mine and tuned the way I liked them (night sights, custom grips of preference, etc...). I've always felt most comfortable "rolling" my own.
    Agreed. We did have that policy when they issued SW Combat Magnum 66, then the 686. But for some reason when they went to the Beretta 96, they struck that personally owned policy from the manual. Up to then, many did opt for their own.

BTW - feeling any better (more normal) since the retirement woes?

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    No "department approved, personally owned" duty weapon options huh? Too bad. I carried a department revolver (Model 67 S&W .38) for about 1.5 years out of 30+ years of carrying. All the rest of my time was with weapons that were mine and tuned the way I liked them (night sights, custom grips of preference, etc...). I've always felt most comfortable "rolling" my own.

Leave a comment:

• 1042 Trooper
    replied
    I've carried by Colt Agent (alloy Detective Special) for 25 years now. It's so light I forget it's even there.

The SW Chiefs are good - but there's something about having that 6th round.

I would have purchased my own Python for duty carry if they'd of let me trade it for the Beretta 96 .40 they issued us.

Just love wheel guns. You don't have to have malfuntion practice with them.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    Originally posted by Bass View Post
    Does anyone know if they make a night sight for these pistols?
    I've got one on my Model 342 (above) and on my Model 640. Here you go: http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

Leave a comment:

• Bass
    replied
    I snagged an airweight .357 hammerless (340pd) and I love it. The .357 hot loads are not the most fun to shoot, but they do get peoples attention at the range, and .38s are just plain a blast to shoot. Does anyone know if they make a night sight for these pistols?

Leave a comment:

• fyrdog
    replied
    I like the Gold Dot's as well, but I stick with the tried and true 158gr LSWCHP, which is somtimes called the FBI load, or the Chicago Load.
    The reason I do this is simple, SAAMI spec's for a fixed sight .38special, stated that the sights be calibrated for 158grain projecticle.

Fyr

Leave a comment:

• Linkshinter
    replied
    I carry a 638 on duty as a back up...

Excellent choice in my opinion. I doubt you will have a single problem with it.

The gold dots are excellent rounds, however my Agency issues +p+ Hydrashocks. They shoot well, and from what I've seen, they perform the way they should.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    You need to practice that DA shooting or get a J-frame you with a "pinned" front sight, so you can replace it with one you can see. Seeing the front sight makes a big difference!

Leave a comment:

• CPD7297
    replied
    I agree, the little Smith revolvers are neat. I carry an older M36 "Chief" snubnose in a pocket holster. I had to qualify the beginning of the month so I tried out the little guy. The target looked like I used a scattergun. The entire black silhouette was peppered. I just passed (barely). My auto was much, much better for higher scoring.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    This was my backup weapon for about eight years (shown with a new watch). A Model 342, with "Big Dot" tritium front sight and crimson trace grips. Very light and comfortable to carry, but very uncomfortable to shoot with "duty" loads!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4166 users online. 252 members and 3914 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X