300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new love for the snubnose...

Well, after a few weeks of on and off duty shooting dreams (you know the ones, sometimes you win, sometimes you take a couple but still win, sometimes you straight out lose, sometimes the gun won't even fire), I came to the realization that even though I absolutely love my Glock 27, it's just not very comfortable to conceal here in Florida.

After talking to some people and doing a whole lot of research, I decided it was time to start looking at some snubnose revolvers. Unfortunately, I didn't have the bank account (~cough~ or the wife's permission ~cough~) to straight out buy a new gun, so I went to trade in the Glock 27 on Tuesday. I got a great deal on it (they gave me $300, not bad considering they sale new ones to cops for less than $400) and got a S&W Model 638 .30 airweight. I was originally looking looking at the 442 and the 642, however 1) they were out of stock and 2)After looking at the 638 I prefer the shrouded hammer over the hammerless. Anyway, I got the gun, some federal ammo, and a few more goodies and only had to put $100 down.

Today I brought it to the range for the first time. Actually it was also my first time ever firing a revolver (I know, pathetic considering I've been sworn for over a year now), so I was kind of tense about how it would go. It took the first 10 rounds or so to get used to it, but after putting about 100 or so through it I absolutely love it. The grouping was actually quite a bit tighter, not to mention more center mass, than the HK I carry for work. Between that and the fact that I can throw it in the pocket and have had it on me 100% of the time since I got it, I'm absolutely thrilled that I've switched over to the wheel gun side for my BUG/off duty carry.

The "Bodyguard" series by S&W are a good choice, but I went to the hammerless (Centennials) after a while. I never shot duty revolvers single action and liked the idea that I wasn't constantly cleaning dust out of the area behind the hammer. If you have a choice for ammunition, the Gold Dot (Short Barrel) loads are pretty good.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

J-frames rock...my fav is the airweight centennial...not too heavy, not too light...here is my hard chromed 442...

Comment

pulicords
        The "Bodyguard" series by S&W are a good choice, but I went to the hammerless (Centennials) after a while. I never shot duty revolvers single action and liked the idea that I wasn't constantly cleaning dust out of the area behind the hammer. If you have a choice for ammunition, the Gold Dot (Short Barrel) loads are pretty good.
        +1 I went with the 640 for the same reason.
        Forti Fors Bona

Comment

This was my backup weapon for about eight years (shown with a new watch). A Model 342, with "Big Dot" tritium front sight and crimson trace grips. Very light and comfortable to carry, but very uncomfortable to shoot with "duty" loads!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I agree, the little Smith revolvers are neat. I carry an older M36 "Chief" snubnose in a pocket holster. I had to qualify the beginning of the month so I tried out the little guy. The target looked like I used a scattergun. The entire black silhouette was peppered. I just passed (barely). My auto was much, much better for higher scoring.
            The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

You need to practice that DA shooting or get a J-frame you with a "pinned" front sight, so you can replace it with one you can see. Seeing the front sight makes a big difference!

Comment

I carry a 638 on duty as a back up...

Excellent choice in my opinion. I doubt you will have a single problem with it.

The gold dots are excellent rounds, however my Agency issues +p+ Hydrashocks. They shoot well, and from what I've seen, they perform the way they should.
                Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

I like the Gold Dot's as well, but I stick with the tried and true 158gr LSWCHP, which is somtimes called the FBI load, or the Chicago Load.
                  The reason I do this is simple, SAAMI spec's for a fixed sight .38special, stated that the sights be calibrated for 158grain projecticle.

Fyr
                  Forti Fors Bona

Comment

I snagged an airweight .357 hammerless (340pd) and I love it. The .357 hot loads are not the most fun to shoot, but they do get peoples attention at the range, and .38s are just plain a blast to shoot. Does anyone know if they make a night sight for these pistols?
                    LOCKDOWN!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass View Post
                      Does anyone know if they make a night sight for these pistols?
                      I've got one on my Model 342 (above) and on my Model 640. Here you go: http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

Comment

I've carried by Colt Agent (alloy Detective Special) for 25 years now. It's so light I forget it's even there.

The SW Chiefs are good - but there's something about having that 6th round.

I would have purchased my own Python for duty carry if they'd of let me trade it for the Beretta 96 .40 they issued us.

Just love wheel guns. You don't have to have malfuntion practice with them.
                        The All New
                        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

No "department approved, personally owned" duty weapon options huh? Too bad. I carried a department revolver (Model 67 S&W .38) for about 1.5 years out of 30+ years of carrying. All the rest of my time was with weapons that were mine and tuned the way I liked them (night sights, custom grips of preference, etc...). I've always felt most comfortable "rolling" my own.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                            No "department approved, personally owned" duty weapon options huh? Too bad. I carried a department revolver (Model 67 S&W .38) for about 1.5 years out of 30+ years of carrying. All the rest of my time was with weapons that were mine and tuned the way I liked them (night sights, custom grips of preference, etc...). I've always felt most comfortable "rolling" my own.
                            Agreed. We did have that policy when they issued SW Combat Magnum 66, then the 686. But for some reason when they went to the Beretta 96, they struck that personally owned policy from the manual. Up to then, many did opt for their own.

BTW - feeling any better (more normal) since the retirement woes?
                            The All New
                            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

It's never seemed like a good policy to me, when agencies take away weapon(s) officers have experience with and force them to use something new that they'll never have time to develop the same level of proficiency with. We had officers who'd used revolvers for 20+ years, used them well and for their last few years would never be as competent with their new guns as the old. Fortunately, our department didn't mandate the change.

Re: retirement- Yea. Thanks for asking. I'm getting used to it. I just got my PI license and will probably start doing some work in the next few weeks. Not in a big hurry to start and have a few fishing/hunting/vacation cruise trips to do first.

Also (coincidentally enough) just a couple of weeks after retiring, an old friend tracked me down via the internet. She's a writer and we've been discussing a project. Might be interesting.
                              Last edited by pulicords; 07-30-2008, 02:47 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5463 users online. 322 members and 5141 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X