300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to order a Mossberg 500 Special Purpose Rolling Thunder

I know this is a new model to Mossberg's special purpose series of shotguns. This gun has a muzzle stabilizer and heat shield added and has a longer barrel than most 500's. Anyone shoot this weapon yet or have any thoughts or opinions about it before I cough up $$360.00?

As a firearm owner I would say that is marketing to the those who saw the movie with the killer and the silenced shotgun and they want one. It does nothing for me, it does not add compactness or capacity of fire.

Here is a discussion of the gun you mentioned.
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...62c68460ad4760

If high cap compact shotgun is the question then Siaga is the answer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j76oBpVSf_g

Comment

That thing on the front is a stand off for breaching rounds.....kind of like tits on a bull, useless. There is no need for a stand off when using breaching rounds. Looks kind of neat, but pointless.

Comment

so no recoil reduction and increased accuracy?

Comment

Accuracy with a shotgun is like accuracy throwing a 5 gallon bucket of water on a fire.

As for recoil reduction, longer barrel increases recoil as the back pressure is greater, increased weight of the barrel lessens this effect, the side porting reduces recoil but also directs all the noise back at the shooter. It will be loud. More recoil reduction can be achieve by shooting low recoil buckshot than by adding a muzzle device.

Comment

I would wait for the Special Purpose Rolling thunder hammer of God super annihilator coming out next spring. It even comes with a handy knife built into the stock for cutting notches.

BTW, I have a standard 590 8 shot Mossy with heat shield...I still see no reason for it...and my favorite shotgun of all is my simple Ithaca 37 Police model...all I need, nothing I don't....

Last edited by WHD90R; 07-24-2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Standard Mossberg 590 or a Reminton 870 (Wingmaster or Police)

They have seemed to work amazingly well for quite some time in the hands of skilled and determined individuals.

The "Rolling Thunder" is ridiculous and anyone who actually knows their way around a combat shotgun will laugh at you.
              Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
                Accuracy with a shotgun is like accuracy throwing a 5 gallon bucket of water on a fire.

As for recoil reduction, longer barrel increases recoil as the back pressure is greater, increased weight of the barrel lessens this effect, the side porting reduces recoil but also directs all the noise back at the shooter. It will be loud. More recoil reduction can be achieve by shooting low recoil buckshot than by adding a muzzle device.
                Thats a big misconception. You still want to be accurate with a shotgun, especially with slugs, which is why more and more are coming with true sights now. As for this model the OP is thinking about, I think its a joke personally. I would go with the 9 shot 590 myself, and plan to.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
                  If high cap compact shotgun is the question then Saiga is the answer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j76oBpVSf_g
                  It is almost impossible to find a new Saiga 12 nowadays. I wish they were available, I would own one.

Comment

Everyone talks badly about this gun, but have you ever used one? I want info from someone who has actually used this gun. I too think the whole "muzzle stabilizer" is a joke but I am just curious to how it shoots, not how people think it will shoot. I am still learning my way around in the shotgun world but I also have plenty of experience, I am just curious and like to try new guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepdog93 View Post
                      Everyone talks badly about this gun, but have you ever used one? I want info from someone who has actually used this gun.
                      Head over to the "bubblegum" and "tacticool" forums. I am sure they will be all over them. I don't think you will see too many professionals with them.

1. The Aluminum weight hanging off the barrel WILL make it handle slower. It is not going to reduce recoil or climb more than a Vang Comp job. The whole point of a pistol grip shotgun is either breaching or concealability. The big honking weight on the muzzle makes it ill suited for either. Now if you want it to be accurate, you need to put a stock on it and add sights high enough to look over the chunk of aluminum.

2. It's all for looks.

Will it go bang when you pull the trigger? I am sure it will. Will it kill something if you hit it square? I am sure it will. Will it perform better than my 20 year old 870? Not on your life.

Is it really that hard to look at it and see it's not really well suited for anything other than a movie screen?
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Once again, I am asking those who have shot this specific weapon. I am not using this for breaching or HD, I have plenty for those situations. I am simply just wanting to shoot the damn thing out of curiousity. This is would just be a new toy not something I trust my life with. I understand everything you are saying, but sometimes you got to stop being so damn anal and serious and relax. I just want a review...not a preview from someone who has no clue about the gun because they have never used it. It isnt about looks for me Black, its about trying out the "new idea"....a "muzzle stabilizer" just to see if it works and how it works.

Again, im not disagreeing with what you have said because most is true...but whats the prob with trying something new? give me a break with all the taticool bull ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepdog93 View Post
                          Once again, I am asking those who have shot this specific weapon. I am not using this for breaching or HD, I have plenty for those situations. I am simply just wanting to shoot the damn thing out of curiousity. This is would just be a new toy not something I trust my life with. I understand everything you are saying, but sometimes you got to stop being so damn anal and serious and relax. I just want a review...not a preview from someone who has no clue about the gun because they have never used it. It isnt about looks for me Black, its about trying out the "new idea"....a "muzzle stabilizer" just to see if it works and how it works.

Again, im not disagreeing with what you have said because most is true...but whats the prob with trying something new? give me a break with all the taticool bull ****.

I think that it is still fairly new on the market, so you might be hard pressed for some time to find anyone who has actually shot it.

Comment

id just do the 9 shot 590A1...

oh wait..i did...and the 18" one too..
                            In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

I got a 590A1 from Maine Military Supply for $299. It was a dept trade in but it looks like it never left the armory, it had definitely never been in a cruiser. I don't know if they still have them but I'd be looking for something like that if I were you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5672 users online. 324 members and 5348 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X