300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nighthawk firearms.......

Does anyone have any personal experience with one of the Nighthawk .45's? the dept. I have apply'ed to has a very open policy about your duty piece and just about anything goes (with in reason, no .50's, nickel plating etc.) and I have been eyeballing one of these night hawks. The craftmanship is second to none and everything about them is very practical.

Can anyone give me any real world info on these? Its either one of these or my H&K USP .45 tactical.
    sigpic

If you wanna go with a .45 for duty work go with a Glock 21SF, less mechanical issues and easier to maintain in my humble opinion.

Comment

The 1911 is a fine platform. If they are going to pay you enough to carry a semi-custom firearm, knock yourself out.
      I would probably look to a Springfield, Taurus or Kimber. But I'm frugal. (Kimber is not exactly cheap)
      I don't understand the mechanical "issues". Draw the weapon, sweep the safety and shoot, it's been working for about 97 years.
      There are far more top competition shooters in IPSC/USPSA using a variation of the 1911 then there are using Glocks.

Comment

Originally posted by fdkay View Post
        I would probably look to a Springfield
        I have a Springfield 1911 I thought about putting some novak sights on and calling it a day but I have had issues with it in the past. Probably all revolving around bad range ammo, but it still makes me think.
        sigpic

Comment

The key is, have you EVER had an issue with SAAMI spec commercial ammo?
          Some of that range ammo is locally reloaded and may not be to spec. You can also have the ejection port enlarged for much less than the cost of a new firearm.

Comment

If you are going to carry a 1911 for duty, then a Nighthawk Custom would be an excellent choice.

If you choose a 1911 you better put in the time on it.

If you are not a "gun guy" go with a G21 or G21SF.

I AM a gun guy and love carrying the G21.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Just curious what makes the 1911 difficult to use compared to the G21?

Comment

Originally posted by EricDel View Post
                Just curious what makes the 1911 difficult to use compared to the G21?
                It has a manual safety to use not just pull the trigger go bang

It has a very light trigger pull, must not put finger on trigger unless you intend to shoot.

It has a safety on the grip housing, must remember to keep proper grip or gun will not go bang when needed.

It also needs be tested with ammo and often, and jam clearing drills should be practices as often they can have function issues that can be hard to solve.

Once deemed reliable the 1911 can make distance shots the Glock could never dream of but instant reliability would goto Glock.

Comment

Super light single actions can be a liability in police work since you are quite often covering a suspect without shooting. Having a trigger that needs a deliberate pull instead of a soft touch is more likely to keep you from going oops in a stressful situation.

Comment

Thanks for the information, yeah that doesn't seem like it would be by choice as a on-duty gun or really my first choice off-duty.

Comment

Nighthawk enjoys a very good reputation for quality.

I carried an H&K USP45F SS for a while when I was a rookie. I switched to the Glock 21 when I decided to get a weaponlight, as I could not (at the time) find a holster for the USP + UTL (proprietary H&K weaponlight.)

The Tactical uses the same rail as the old USP, so it is going to give you the same hassle. Hopefully Safariland makes a holster for it now. Better make sure before you choose to use it.

I've got a couple 1911s, and am also a "gun guy"; but I choose to carry a Glock 21 on duty.
                      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I carried a Nighthawk Custom GRP II as my primary duty weapon for my last 18 months on the department before retiring. It was accurate, dependable and did everything I could expect of it. Like any service pistol, I kept it clean, used quality (issue) ammunition and used the best magazines I could find (Wilson 47Ds, then ETMs).

Last edited by pulicords; 07-24-2008, 09:28 PM.
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I hear Nighthawk is a good product, put together by former Wilson Combat employees.
                          Save 2 grand and buy a S&W or a Springfield 1911.
                          Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

.....Disgruntled ex-Wilson employees! If you want the best, get it from someone with an ax to grind, something to prove and is working at establishing a better reputation for themselves than the guy(s) they used to work for! NHC puts out such a product and if you can appreciate the work put into it (upon inspection), it's worth every penny!
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                              .....Disgruntled ex-Wilson employees! If you want the best, get it from someone with an ax to grind, something to prove and is working at establishing a better reputation for themselves than the guy(s) they used to work for! NHC puts out such a product and if you can appreciate the work put into it (upon inspection), it's worth every penny!
                              Point taken.
                              As for worth every penny, I have used my modified Para SSP for 3 or 4 years now and it functions FLAWLESSLY. It is worth every penny and it cost me about 200,000 pennies less than a Nighthawk.
                              Great product and if I had the coin I would get one.
                              Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5674 users online. 324 members and 5350 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X