300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beretta 92FS?

So, I'm trying to really decide what to purchase as my first handgun. As far as looks go I have basically fallen in love with the Beretta 92FS. However, I know basically nothing about handguns right now so this is one of the first steps in my learning process. Basically what I want is an honest opinion of the Beretta 92FS. I do realize that this is a Full Size gun, so I'm not really looking for anything with concealability at this point and really just want general opinion on the firearm. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some information.

I have carried one and qualified expert on it.

I DO NOT like them. There are sooo many other good 9mm combat handguns. IMHO DA/SA triggers suck. Go DA only or Safe Action like the polymer pistols. Having your trigger pull change in the middle of a string is not good.

If this is your first handgun I highly suggest you look at the following:

Glock 17
    Glock 19
    S&W M&P9
    Springfield XD9
    Any 9mm SIG (although I still don't like DA/SA triggers)
    H&K
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Thank you very much for your response. I was looking on the Sig Sauer website at the P229 but don't see whether it is a DA/SA handgun... Would that model be one you may suggest? Glocks are an option, but in all honesty I don't feel attracted to them. But I guess if they work, then they work; we are talking about handguns after all.

Comment

If you have to chance to test fire some different models, then I strongly recommend that you do......

We are issued the Beretta 92, and I carried it as a duty weapon for over 10 years......As soon as I had the chance to do so, I went to the HK USP in 45acp.......not so much as a weapon choice, but for the round......

Personally, I cant stand anything made by Glock......that doenst mean that they are not well made weapons.....they are....I just dont like the grip feel or the trigger pull.......

Bottom line.....find something made by a good company that YOU like, and go with that.....
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Neverender View Post
          Thank you very much for your response. I was looking on the Sig Sauer website at the P229 but don't see whether it is a DA/SA handgun... Would that model be one you may suggest?
          They are DA/SA like the Beretta.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I'm a sucker for them. They are too big, too heavy, and don't carry near enough rounds for it's size, but I love 'em anyway. They shoot straight, and I've never had one jam up on me. Like others mentioned, the da/sa change is a pain in the butt (at least for me), plus the trigger reach is a bit long for my small hands. I think I love them due to a nostalgic feeling with Die Hard and Lethal Weapon.

Comment

The 92's are nice pistols, I like the way it handles and can shoot pretty good with one. You might look at the 96 (.40) model as well, the only difference is the round is fires.

I would say take a list of known good and reliable pistols such as those listed by Blackdog above, and find folks who own them or a range that rents them out and go shooting. How the pistol handles in your own hands, your ability to be comfortable and effective with that gun, is far more important than the name on the slide or it's styling. Remember it's a tool that you'll use to save your life someday, not win a popularity contest, so choose which gun you know you can shoot and can count on to work every time.

Comment

I was despondent when I had to ship out my pristine 1911A1's when the replacement Beretta's arrived. I am not a huge fan, they are too big, the trigger pull leaves alot to be desired and the safety/decocker is in the wrong place (on the slide instead of the frame) but:
                They shoot VERY well, I NEVER, let me repeat, NEVER saw a failure to feed that was not shooter induced. They are reliable, accurate, they are so big, recoil is almost non-existent.
                If you like it, buy it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Berettas' are fine weapons.
                Make sure that you do not have trouble reaching the trigger.
                To me, the DA to SA transition was much ado about nothing. But I'm a revolver shooter.
                Take a look at the Taurus version, they have one with a frame mounted safety, they are built on Beretta machinery, they have a lifetime warranty, they take Beretta mags and they cost about 200 bucks less.
                Last edited by fdkay; 07-21-2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I have a Taurus PF92 9mm (twin clone) to Beretta. It the same weapon but with frame mounted safety and lower cost but same quality. It has 17 rounds in a magazine so who could go wrong. Also I love the 5" inch barrel that produces no recoil during rapid fire and stays true on target. And when it is in SA mode its marvelous to shoot with virtually no trigger travel. And for shooting (range)purposes I love fireing big heavy weapons makes it feel worth it
                  Last edited by NYSJAILER2008; 07-21-2008, 07:18 PM.
                  CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
                  FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT

DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post

Bottom line.....find something made by a good company that YOU like, and go with that.....
                    +1 x BILLION. The best advice out there...

Comment

No...this is the internet...you go with whatever the highest post counter recommends.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                        Just make sure the reason you like it is not because you saw it in a movie or that it looks cool. That's fine for cars and clothes, but a gun is a tool and has to do the job first and foremost.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                          Just make sure the reason you like it is not because you saw it in a movie or that it looks cool. That's fine for cars and clothes, but a gun is a tool and has to do the job first and foremost.
                          True.....thats why I added the 'by a good company' tag......
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I currently carry a 92FS and have never had a single malfunction due to the weapon. I have also owned a Taurus PT92 great gun as well except my particular gun did not like Hydrashocks but loved Speer gold dot. You got some really good information here and just to echo the feelings of some of the others DO NOT PICK A FIREARM BASED ON LOOKS!!! I also have a Glock 21 and find it to be ugly as sin, but it sure is a nice shooting pistol. Find a range that will allow you to rent a gun (there are several by me) or a friend that has some different weapons, fire as many as you can and pick the one that you feel is best for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2976 users online. 156 members and 2820 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X