300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .50cal Rifle

So. I know this might not be a typical topic for those of you in LE (except you, Surf) but I have a question about the deal with privately owning a .50cal rifle.

Justhomp has recently come into some money (thanks to criminals) and he has an itch that his ARs just can't scratch for him. Ya see, he was his team's M2 gunner, and once you shoot that bad boy for a few years, nothing can quite fill the void.

As much as I would love to own a full auto M2, I'm not going to go through all the crap in order to get one. SO that leaves with the .50 "precision" rifles.

IF I do decide to drop a few bucks on one, does anyone know the details as to what I would have to do besides just pick one up from the gunshop? Do they have to be registered as destructive devices with BATFE?

Thanks for the info.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

50 cal

Other than one state for sure CA, maybe another, buying that 50cal rifle is no different paperwork wise than going to WalMart and buying a 22lr bolt action.

Comment

Don't forget its almost $5/a round to shoot!
      Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

According to the guys at Only The Best, where that actually stock .50's, (in Pompano Beach) the .50's are not yet considered to be a destructive device but hinted that it may change in the not too distant future.

I'm still dying to see one in action. Still haven't seen one at Markham, yet.
        Last edited by 135dB; 06-23-2008, 08:20 AM. Reason: .
        -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
        -Daniel Silva

Comment

You mean Californians can't possess a .50? (feigned surprise there) I'd bet money that those in MASS. can't either...
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by 135dB View Post
            According to the guys at Only The Best, where that actually stock .50's, (in Pompano Beach) the .50's are not yet considered to be a destructive device but hinted that it may change in the not too distant future.

I'm still dying to see one in action. Still haven't seen one at Markham, yet.

Interesting, when I was looking at Robar's site it gave me a link to all this "paperwork" to download and fill out, I didn't bother to look at all of it since most of it had ATF or State Department on it.

Thanks for the info. IF (and that's a big IF) I decide to buy one, you'll see it a Markham in the not too distant future

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

50 info

Take a look over at www.fcsa.org They have a website, with forums that have all sorts of information. And there is a 50 Cal belt feed that is available to civilians (semi-automatic). As far as ownership of 50 Cal in California, if you purchased and registered one before it was classified as an assualt weapon, then it is still legal for you to own and shoot it. If you are wanting to purchase one now, you will either need a letter from your Chief, or go purchase a 50 DTC. The 50 DTC is very similiar to the 50 BMG, but it is a little bit shorter, and therefor is NOT a 50 BMG, and is legal in the state of California.

Comment

Originally posted by scarney View Post
                Take a look over at www.fcsa.org They have a website, with forums that have all sorts of information. And there is a 50 Cal belt feed that is available to civilians (semi-automatic). As far as ownership of 50 Cal in California, if you purchased and registered one before it was classified as an assualt weapon, then it is still legal for you to own and shoot it. If you are wanting to purchase one now, you will either need a letter from your Chief, or go purchase a 50 DTC. The 50 DTC is very similiar to the 50 BMG, but it is a little bit shorter, and therefor is NOT a 50 BMG, and is legal in the state of California.
                That just takes all the fun out of it!

Thank god I don't live in Cali... thanks for the info though.

Comment

Federally I'm not aware of any special restrictions for the .50 BMG caliber.

I know in CA they are banned, and NJ has some proposed legislation that would ban ALL .500 diameter projectiles, even .50 cal air guns.

Comment

.50.s are like "sooooo" 2002.

Get a .577 T-Rex

http://www.accuratereloading.com/577tyr.html

or a

700 Nitro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express

. Why shoot a rifle that can penetrate your target at 1500 m when you can shoot a rifle that will DETONATE your target at 50m.

Hunting is more fun when you get a little on ya.

M-11
                    “All men dream...... But not equally..
                    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                      .50.s are like "sooooo" 2002.

Get a .577 T-Rex

http://www.accuratereloading.com/577tyr.html

or a

700 Nitro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express

. Why shoot a rifle that can penetrate your target at 1500 m when you can shoot a rifle that will DETONATE your target at 50m.

Hunting is more fun when you get a little on ya.

M-11
                      Hahahaha, don't tempt me!

Comment

My Chief makes the barrels for Alexander Arms .50 caliber beowulf and he says that the department is getting one here shortly, though I am sure it will go straight to the tac team and us poor patrol guys will never get the pleasure of shooting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                          Federally I'm not aware of any special restrictions for the .50 BMG caliber.

I know in CA they are banned, and NJ has some proposed legislation that would ban ALL .500 diameter projectiles, even .50 cal air guns.
                          Feanor,
                          If that does pass, you can kiss 12 ga slugs goodbye as well. THEY ARE OVER the 1/2 diameter you are speaking of. I'd have to measure one, but I think the slug is like .60?

justhomp,
                          Just so you know, there's a LOT of choices out there BESIDES the big Ma Deuce. A semi-auto BAR can be had for less money and is DEFINITELY cheaper to shoot. And it will knock down almost anything in it's path well out past 1/2 mile.

Say, HOW MUCH money did you come into? If it's a LARGE BUNDLE, maybe this might interest you.

Attached Files

Comment

No federal regulations against a .50 rifle. They are small enough that they are not destructive devices.

If I were getting one I would go with the EDM Windrunner. Barretts are cool and all, and I drug one all over hell and back, but the EDM is supposed to be quite a bit more accurate and it's still a magazine fed weapon. The single-load .50's don't really do anything for me.

If you get a .50, make sure you setup to handload for it. I have heard you can make some pretty accurate stuff from surplus components.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                              No federal regulations against a .50 rifle. They are small enough that they are not destructive devices.

If I were getting one I would go with the EDM Windrunner. Barretts are cool and all, and I drug one all over hell and back, but the EDM is supposed to be quite a bit more accurate and it's still a magazine fed weapon. The single-load .50's don't really do anything for me.

If you get a .50, make sure you setup to handload for it. I have heard you can make some pretty accurate stuff from surplus components.
                              Definitely staying away from the Barretts. Had enough experience with them to know to stay away.

The only one I've heard of being "accurate" (ha) thus far is the Robar RC-50, however I'll give that EDM a look over.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6280 users online. 347 members and 5933 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X