300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR15/M4 Sling

Just recently bought a Bushmaster M4 rifle to carry while on patrol. I am new to the rifle and will also need a sling. Can anyone give me some suggestions on a good sling/what to look for for patrol use??

Personal preference but 2 of my favorites are a 2 point Blue Force Gear Vickers sling and a single point Blue Force Gear UDC sling. For patrol use, I would probably suggest a 2 point set up.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

i'm not an LEO but i use a Spectre MOUT single point sling. I like the fact that it has a tough quick release strap, and you can buy multiple attachment points and attach them to more than one rifle making it easy to swithc the sling between them
      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
      -Daniel Silva

Comment

I currently use a Spectre Gear MOUT sling. It works well when in action, but feels like it's strangling me when slung for any period of time. For dynamic use it's great, but for more patrol oriented use (where I could be on a perimiter for hours) I think I am going to switch to a Vickars Combat Application Sling. I have yet to hear a bad review of it.

If you can, try out some different slings. Your gear, body type and use will affect you selection.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

+1 on what Surf said...........

The VTAC 2 point is the way to go in my book.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

or

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...d=5&prod_id=79
          There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

I would suggest two things when considering a sling:
            1.) a section of bungie built into the sling
            2.) some way to detach the sling quickly

The above are two-fold. The bungie will provide some "give" if you should need to do a heel-strike to an aggressor, as well as allow some room should you need to transfer to your support side shoulder for shooting around cover. The quick detach - I've seen first hand. A guy on my squad got his sling caught on a fence while attempting to climb over. Had he not had a detach, he could have strangled himself.

Just my .02
            "You will face fear and pain. Do not listen; they will only give you excuses to quit..." -LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Comment

VTAC or Mamba are the best 3 point slings I've used yet.
              “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by halfacop View Post
                +1 on what Surf said...........

The VTAC 2 point is the way to go in my book.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

or

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...d=5&prod_id=79
                +1 on the viking tactics. great sling. much more comfortable and versatile than my old single point.

Comment

I was in a bit of a rush earlier so I will also say that I prefer 2 quick releases for my set ups. For the single point I like 1 quick release that will detach the sling from the weapon, so you don't have to take off the sling and one quick release that will quickly detach the sling from the shooter without having to take it off over your arm and head. Again for the single point sling I use the BFG UDC sling which is already set up this way.

For the 2 point sling I use the BFG Vickers sling. The problem that I face with the Vickers sling with my size, including tac vest and load bearing, the 2 point Vickers at its longest point will still not allow me to transition to my support side, plus it only has one quick detach at the butt end connection. To alleviate this transition problem, I added another quick detach at the front connection with an extra length of sling. Now I can detach the rear or front and am able to transition to my support side without removing or detaching the sling.

However, no matter what, the single point sling is much easier to transition with. Depending on what I am doing I chose the sling of my choice and whichever upper / optic combo I decide to go with. The 2 uppers that I change out have the quick release, so changing them out is simple.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Hmm, here is a picture maybe that makes more sense.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

I have been the single point route with my rifles and it just didn't work for me. I have found that a two point works better for me. I have used the Vickers Sling and the cheaper version called the Victory Sling, they just didn't seem to fit the bill. I was given a VTAC Sling during the SHOT Show in Florida last year. I tried it and really liked it. So in the last year or so I have put VTAC Padded Slings on all of my rifles and love them. To me they adjust faster and are more versatile. I really learned how to use it to it's full potential during the VTAC 1.5 Carbine class I was in a couple of weeks ago.

YMMV......
                      "Life's goal should not be to show up at your final resting spot in a well rested, well preserved body ready to pass on.... But rather sliding in side ways late for your own passing, tired, beaten down and yelling holy $hit what a ride!!!!!"

Comment

Just a heads up, be aware of slings if you use tac gear. Try different slings out. For myself padded slings while in gear really irritate around the neck because the sling does not ride against your body, which may cause it to sit on edge around your gear and bite into your neck. This was true for the VTAC and several other padded versions. This single point padded versions are the worst.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Where do you live?

The kind of sling you will use depends a lot on what kind of patrol work you do (i.e. urban or rural, etc.). I work patrol in an urban environment and use a blackhawk single-point bungee sling on all my long guns. The single-point release is especially useful when handing the rifle off for climbing or scaling fences on K-9 tracks etc. The bungee feature is also useful for CQB work when right and left hand shooting becomes necessary.

Another thing about single-point slings is that they take very little room when two long guns are locked up front in my patrol vehicle, aiding in less tangling and quicker deployment.

I think if you were needing to have the long gun slung for extended periods of time, you might want to go with something more comfortable than a single-point.
                          -29474-

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. -Mark Twain

Comment

99 percent of the guys here all use the Chalker sling.

My personal reason for using the Chalker is this: I have found that having a sling on your gun while jumping in and out of our cars sucks! Prior to using the Chalker, My sling got caught up once and made it so I had to leave my AR hanging on the gun lock and the barrel in the front seat. (I just transitioned to my handgun) After that incident, I immediately purchased the chalker and can have my rifle out and slung and on target prior to those with slings.
                            "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

So do you wear the Chalker all the time, and snap in when you retreive the rifle?

Just curious. That would be a total no-go here.
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3946 users online. 277 members and 3669 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X