300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual or Obsolete Duty Weapons

I'm curious what unusual or obsolete duty weapons you've carried in the past. The first department I worked full time for (a community college district) had no firearms policy whatsoever! We could carry what we wanted to, any ammunition we wanted to carry was "ok" and there wasn't any requirement to qualify after we graduated from the academy. Needless to say, there wasn't as much concern about civil liability in those days (the 70's). At the same time, I was a reserve officer with a nearby municipal police department. Usually, I qualified regularly with that department's authorized duty weapon and carried it while working for my primary employer, but......just for the heck of it (and so in later years I could say I did) I carried a .44 magnum Ruger Blackhawk single action revolver with a 4 5/8" barrel in a Roy Baker original "Pancake" holster. It was loaded with 250 grain LSWC ammo, clocked about 1000 fps. A "dump pouch" carried six extra rounds. Although openly carried, nobody noticed I was carrying a slightly improved version of the old Colt "Peacemaker"!

Although I carried the Ruger "Flat-top" only for a few days, for more than a year I carried a little Star PD .45 auto. It was my "official off-duty" pistol associated with the municipal PD and was great in the semi-plain clothes role with the college police. It was light, accurate and as reliable as any .45 auto I've ever owned.

I'm curious what firearms other officers have carried or presently carry, that differ from the usual Glocks, Sigs, etc... Post em up!
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

I carried an H&K USP45F Stainless for the first couple years. It wasn't rare, nor old, but it was very unique at my department.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

My first department (1969) was a 13 officer city PD. They had no standards, so you could carry whatever you wanted. I had a .38 S&W Combat Masterpiece with roundnose ammo. (I don't think hollow points had been introduced yet.)

My second department issued the very same weapon as their standard, but let you carry your own if you already had it. They later went to a .357 S&W (I don't remember the model) and finally a .40 cal S&W 4006 auto.

My last agency also used the S&W 4006.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

We don't have any unusal weapons due to the highly restrictive policy, but I have seen one officer from a different deparment carry a Colt Delta Elite in the mighty 10mm.

Comment

My buddy has this thing called a revolver. It has a wheel instead of a mag. It is the oddest thing i have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
            My buddy has this thing called a revolver. It has a wheel instead of a mag. It is the oddest thing i have seen.

lol

Comment

anybody seen a px4 as a duty gun?

at my agency the p220 is the standard with many carrying kimber or wilson. they looked at me like i was nuts when i showed up to qualify this year with a glock 19. i changed their minds after i smoked them in judgmental target selection drills.
              Last edited by luckydog; 05-23-2008, 02:26 AM.

Comment

around here there used to a be very old school sheriff that carried a nickel and pearl handled .44 in a dual cowboy rig, and he also had a pearl handled 1911 on the other side..

he was supposedly a former Texas ranger, and still patrolled at like 75 years old...he was a old man when i was a very little kid..
                In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
                  anybody seen a px4 as a duty gun?
                  One of our officers carries a Px4. He obviously likes it, more than the issue HK UPS .45!
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

there are still some agencies around (mostly s.o.'s) on courthouse details that carry the revolver with the magnetic ring...old school
                    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Not all that old and definitely not obsolete, but kind of rare, our PD issues Colt gov model in stainless, although you can carry just about anything you want within reason.
                      "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

I carried a wheel gun for around the first 4-5 years on the job, .38 S&W. I was one of the last to give up the wheel gun for the S&W 5906. I liked the revolver better than the 5906.
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

One of my old partners used to carry a 41 mag. Worst I have carried is a Ruger P-89 at my first agency. Not bad just not that my gig. My current agency has Glock 22's. I am issued a vietnam era ar-15 as a duty rifle. Its actually one of the sweeter shooting patrol rifles I have shot.
                          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                            One of our officers carries a Px4. He obviously likes it, more than the issue HK UPS .45!
                            My agency issues the PX4. During a recent trip to New Orleans, I was told that at least one of that area's sheriff departments issued the Storm to their new recruits.
                            I bring nothing to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Narco944 View Post
                              there are still some agencies around (mostly s.o.'s) on courthouse details that carry the revolver with the magnetic ring...old school
                              Heh...Cobb.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4341 users online. 239 members and 4102 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X