Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any double actions as easy to tear down as a Hi-Power?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any double actions as easy to tear down as a Hi-Power?

I’m likely to be a new Academy entrant. In the event I don’t get my first choice as a direct hire I will enroll as a non-affiliate. Keeping that in mind, I have to supply myself my own double action 9mm, .40 or 45.

I own a Browning Hi-Power single action (which of course I can’t use), but I love the simplicity of field stripping it. Three moves, and it’s ready to clean. No holding it a special way, no pulling the trigger. It’s almost impossible to put back together incorrectly. There ONE little thing that could be done wrong, but it wouldn’t prevent the firearm from functioning.

I’m not going to even throw out makes and models I am considering. I don’t want to detract from the subject of “simplicity of tear down”.

Yes, this is my first post. I’m not trolling.

Thanks,

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

If you're wanting a DA/SA Sig's are pretty much the go to. They are very simple to disassemble. If want DAO or striker fired, Springfield XD's break down the same way. Glocks are easy as well. Most all modern weapons are not that hard to field strip. Can I ask why you don't like having to pull the trigger? The FIRST thing you should ALWAYS do before disassembling a weapon is clear it.
    Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Comment

Beretta 92. I can't think of a handgun that is easier. Are you sure you want to base your choice of sidearm on the easiest to field strip though?

Comment

My H&K is a piece of cake to tear down and put together. great weapon to fire as well. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks, I'm new to firearms relative to you all. I was interested in having this tear down question answered independent of all other things.

The double action is a requirement of the academy.

The tear down question is self serving academy anticipation motivated. For instance I have a Ruger 22 and I can't count how many times I've locked it up and jammed upon reassembly.

I had it at a gun smith for two weeks for them to fix it. Now that I know the trick to un jam it it’s no big deal, but a rubber mallet is required. I would rather not jam up my firearm in the presence of an instructor or go to training the next day having to say my firearm is at the gun smith.

Also, I want to be able to clean it inside and out VERY easily. I mean like brand new each time I’m done with it. I don’t want an instructor to tear it down and find one billionth of a speck of spent powder.

I guess I’m assuming they tear it down. I can see them not doing so with a class of different firearms (some likely needing tools to do so).

Now, not considering the simplicity attribute I had Springfield XD on my short list, and since it was mentioned here that nearly solidifies my decision.

Why do I not like pulling the trigger? Well, I suppose you are right. If I follow the rules it shouldn’t be a problem. My Ruger is like this. I check that it is clear, I then go outside and point it at the ground and pull the trigger. I’d just rather not.

Anyway, if I get sponsored the question is moot, and I will simply purchase the compact version of the agency issue and practice with it before the academy starts.

Thanks all,

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

i have yet to run across any handgun that needs special tools to strip and clean..i can strip a glock in about 3 seconds.
            In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Once you figure it out, field stripping a Glock is stupid easy.

There are only four major parts (five if you count the magazine).

1911's are more difficult if you have a match bushing.

92F's are fairly simple too.

The best way to field strip a Hi-Point is with a 20lb. sledge hammer.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Most issue weapons by Police Agencies are as simple as it gets in field stripping. The Sig, The Glocks, The Beretta's the M&P's and the XD's are all easier to field strip and you dont have to take out the slide release like you do with a Hipower they just rotate into a position and boom the slide comes off.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I agree with Nightshift^

That 'one little mistake' you mentioned with your high-power drove me NUTS the first time I made it with mine. I was going absolutely crazy until I took it back apart and noticed what I messed up.

Comment

A Ruger .22 auto is amazingly hard to strip, especially the older ones.

Most other autos are very simple.
                    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

I agree with the Glock patrons. I'm not a Tupperware gun guy, but it is the ultimate LE weapon. Very easy to strip. Plus it offers a hammer forged barrel and a polygonal bore. Which means it will shoot very accurately 25,000 rounds+. Hi powers are outstanding guns by the way...My personal choice S&W model 25

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                        I was thinking more along the lines of a blow torch....
                        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                          Once you figure it out, field stripping a Glock is stupid easy.

Ahhhh, now I get it. There IS something called a Hi-POINT. I googled it.

That's pretty funny. I've owned BB guns worth more than that thing.

No, I said hi-“POWER”. You know, the same guy that designed the 1911.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I know, I was commenting on the Hi-Point.

They are always easy targets to pick on.

The Browning Hi-Power is an excellent weapon and one I will eventually add to my collection.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I have a Hipower practical 9 and will put it up against anything out there for acuracy and it feels nice in my mits. I even deactivated the mag safety and the trigger is so much smoother now. nothing feels as good in my hands as the 1911 and the Hipower.
                              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4101 users online. 244 members and 3857 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X