300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bent Firing Pin???

Take a look at these primer strikes and let me know what you think? I noticed after about 200 rds and several FTF's that the strikes weren't centered as I think they should be.

sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Problem number 1) Wolf Ammo.

As far as the primer strikes, you're going to get movement from a "free float" firing pin.

However, the strikes do look odd...
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

What kind of pistol? Assuming the channel/hole was square/centered to begin with, a bent pin that dramatic would not allow the pin to float freely enough to strike the primer.
      The pin doesn't have to strike the primer dead center, I don't many firearms that do get a dead center strike. As long as it goes bang every time, why are you worried?

Comment

My Kahr P45 fired casings look the exact same. I haven't had any probs.

Comment

It's a friends Kahr. Not sure which one. It has about 500 rds through it now.

I agree about the Wolf ammo. Steel cases. Laquered cases. Cheap stuff. Haven't used in any of mine.

I was concerned that the firing pin could eventually break from hitting towards the edge and being forced towards the center. Wasn't aware they were free floating. That would allow for it and the necessary forgiveness so it shouldn't break.

Thanks for the help!!!
          sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I also don't like Wolf Ammo, but:
            1. primer strikes do not need to be centered,
            2. The primers show a drag mark (note that the FP marks are not round). This would indicated that the gun is starting to unlock before the FP is withdrawn.
            I suggest you clean the FP channel, and insure it is dry. DO NOT lube the FP or it's channel. That may stop the FTF.
            Since I do not own a Kahr, it may just be a characteristic of the gun.
            BTW, the primer is made of brass and priming compound. It cannot force the firing pin to move laterally. As long as it hits the primer, it will work.
            Were all the FTF with the same lot of ammo? Try some different ammo before blaming the gun.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
              I also don't like Wolf Ammo, but:

Were all the FTF with the same lot of ammo? Try some different ammo before blaming the gun.
              Can't say for certain if from same lot, most likely were since my friend buys that crap by the case. The 2 FTF that I witnessed the cartridges both had a light indentation where the firing pin hit. Both fired second time around. It was after that I noticed the strikes were off-center and wondered if the hard primer could have bent the firing pin.
              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

No, if the primer is hard enough to bend a steel firing pin, that pin would not be able to crush the priming pellet to ignite the charge.

You do not have a bent firing pin.

If it really concerns you, a good gunsmith can change the engagement depth of the locking lugs to center the fp. I say forget it! Lots of my guns, including my competition guns, strike the primer off center. Just use quality, brass cased ammo next time. Cheap ammo is cheap for a reason.
                Last edited by Sleuth; 05-01-2008, 03:41 PM.
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4064 users online. 249 members and 3815 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X