300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Guns?

I am looking to get familiar with handguns and something somewhat close to what I would be using if I were to be in the FBI. What would you guys suggest as a good "starter" gun? Thanks.
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -Gen. George S. Patton

i think they are carrying the glock 22 now. i may be wrong. if i were to buy a full size pistol for a beginer it would probably be a glock 17 or 19.

what are you wanting to do with this starter gun? ccw, target shoot, home defense, other?

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
      i think they are carrying the glock 22 now. i may be wrong. if i were to buy a full size pistol for a beginer it would probably be a glock 17 or 19.

what are you wanting to do with this starter gun? ccw, target shoot, home defense, other?
      That is correct they do carry the Glock22 I think they can carry the 23 as well. I would go with a Glock22 that way when you become proficient you already have a good gun for CCW or home defense or whatever your application.

Comment

I would not suggest starting out with a Glock 22 or any .40 S&W pistol. As far as pistols go, for a brand new shooter who has never fired a weapon, for females or smaller people I generally say .22 or .380. For Men or a bit larger individuals, I would say 9mm max. I might suggest renting a variety of guns and some range time to test them out. I would also suggest taking a handgun safety or basic handgun course, perhaps taught by the NRA or similar, so that you start off with a correct and solid foundation on safety, handling, manipulation and marksmanship.

Personally, I am a bit old school and I think shooters should start off on a wheel gun for various reasons.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

If you're new to shooting, I recommend getting a fullsize .22 to begin shooting. I also recommend taking lessons from a real instructor OR just waiting until you get into an academy of some sort.

Just my .02
          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

I agree with the .22 suggestions, you can use it to get familiar with pistols and ammo is dirt cheap. Once you get a feel for it, move on to the Glock 22

Added bonus, because of the cheap ammo, you will never outgrow the .22 as you can always use it at the range without hurting the wallet

Comment

If you're the kind of fellow who buys right the first time (even though it costs more upfront), there's a perfect solution for your situation.

Go ahead and buy the Glock 22, but DO NOT SHOOT IT. Instead, buy an Advantage Arms .22lr conversion kit for it ($250.) Now you can shoot the heck out of the pistol you will eventually be using either professionally, or for your own uses. However, you will be benefited by the distinct lack of recoil, which is the culprit of most bad shooting habits. Additionally, you can put thousands of rounds through the pistol for pennies on the dollar compared to 9mm/40s&w.

That's what I'd do.
              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Good advice.

One of these days when I can stop buying new long guns or Title II firearms I plan on picking up a AA conversion for my G21.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Me, too. Then I'll thread its barrel...
                  J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                    Me, too. Then I'll thread its barrel...
                    Sheesh, can ya even hear a .22 anyway? Every time I pull out my old $50 .22 I feel like I'm shooting an airgun! It's kinda weird

Comment

For one, pistols are a lot louder than rifles. Furthermore, why not?
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

I started with a full sized 1911 (.45 ACP) and looking back, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I would just get what you want, the only semi autos I'd tell you to steer clear of for your first purchase is a Desert Eagle in .50 cal and all sub-compacts.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by krinkbusta View Post
                          I would just get what you want, the only semi autos I'd tell you to steer clear of for your first purchase is a Desert Eagle in .50 cal.
                          Unless it's gold plated....

I kid!

Damn krinkbusta! I just viewed that link in your sig line!

The best part for me was the Barretta with the ACOG(?) strapped on the top!
                          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                            Furthermore, why not?
                            If you've got the cash for it, there is no answer to that question

Comment

Originally posted by hlj0905 View Post
                              I am looking to get familiar with handguns and something somewhat close to what I would be using if I were to be in the FBI. What would you guys suggest as a good "starter" gun? Thanks.
                              how about a 10mm round lol......The FBI has I recall was the only LE org in the US who used the 10mm round

Didnt you know thats why they were "special agents" :P
                              Last edited by eman2k5; 04-05-2008, 09:02 PM.
                              sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5276 users online. 308 members and 4968 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X