300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best starter for a "sniper" setup

Looking at a "starter" to build off of. Nothing ridiculous and def not going to break the bank. I was looking at the 700 Police, or the 700 VTR in .308 . If you have a nice setup and have some advice... let me know...
    Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Rem 700 hands down.
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
      Rem 700 hands down.
      +1

I would take a look here:
      http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83220

And then wait for Blackdog, Surf, Jwise, Glockmaster etc.

P.s. Didn't someone start a thread just like this a couple of days ago? I think it got deleted for some reason.
      Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Comment

I have an FN PBR in .308 that I'm very happy with. Remington is great, but Savage makes an equally accurate gun for a lot less. You could spend the money you saved on optics or practice ammo. Just my two cents.

Comment

If you like the H&S Stock, get the 700P.

If you don't like the H&S Stock, get the SPS-V and put on what you want.

I went with the SPS-V and installed a B&C Light Tactical stock. It's a great shooter and really isn't bad on price. The Glass is the limiting factor. You can get good value with the Leupold Mk4 line or you can get stupid expensive top end with Schmidt & Bender. Mine will eventually have a S&B PMII on it.

When I got it:

After Stock Replacement:

If you want a CRAZY accurate rifle, send it to TacOps and have them accurize it. They give a 1/4 MOA gaurantee.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Can you purchase it without the stock and just add one or buy what I want and have to purchase another stock. I actually like the H&S. I wont be firing it daily so I dont need to be able to sleep with it. Also what else are we looking at for a good not break the bank scope. I want "touchability" to 500 easy... keep em coming... thanks guys

Comment

Something like this

http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

Comment

Savage model 10 or 12. Remmy 700 PSS or varmint. Even the new Rem SPS tactical would make a fine platform to begin with.
                Advantages of Savage: Easy change of barrel. Trigger is very good out of the box. Price.
                Advantages Rem: Industry standard. More options for aftermarket. If you get one of their .308s with the R5 barrel, it will probably shoot dime sized groups out of the box.

Comment

Ok here is what I think I will use for a base weapon and build from here.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=96849

Any thoughts , suggestions

Comment

I have had 2 Rem PSS's, and sold them both since I did not have the patience to treat them right. Being older and more patient now, I wish I still had one of them.

If I had the money, I would buy one of these Savage model 10's

Comment

Rem 700 for me. Of course I prefer Colt for the M4/AR variants also. Yep, I drink it.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

This is the SPS-V and for the price I really cant find anything wrong with it. I like all aspects of it and I think this is the next gift to myself. So I already have a harris bipod and I obviously need to do some research on optics. any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Blkside View Post
                          This is the SPS-V and for the price I really cant find anything wrong with it.
                          Take a look at the top picture in my post above. Look familiar?

My rifle started life as a SPS-V in .308. As I stated the rifle is a sub-MOA (meaning it will shoot 5 shot groups smaller than 1 inch at 100 yards) as it comes out of the box. The stock absolutely sucks and there is nothing you can do with it. If you buy an SPS-V plan on replacing the stock.

When I replaced my plastic-fantastic stock with the Bell & Carlson Light Tactial my group size dropped greatly. That is just dropping the action in and torquing the bolts. No bedding yet. When I skim bed it I expect they will tighten up a little more.

If you are new to precision rifles you can bet the SPS-V will shoot better than you can. When you start to exceed it's capability since it is a Remington 700 you have a million options on what to do to it.
                          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Yeah I figured as much. I am trying to learn the finer points of bolt action. Short stroke over long stroke. blah blah blah. I know if I had a crapload of money I can make it "perfect" but I dont so it will have to be stages. I found this link and you may actually enjoy it. I am so far

http://www.texasbrigadearmory.com/m40a1.htm

Comment

http://www.texasbrigadearmory.com/m70.htm

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4996 users online. 299 members and 4697 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X