• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zamkn
    Enjoys his job
    • May 2007

Glock 19 vs. Glock 26

Hey all,

Which would you recommend for a good backup that could be worn under the left armpit on a ballistic vest? My department carries the Glock 17; as such, in order to take advantage of the Glock system, I plan on sticking with 9mm.

I appreciate any insight.

Zamkn
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.
  • Trempel
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2007

Since this is for a backup, I'd go (and did actually) with a G26. It's still very shootable, despite the very short grip. At the same time, it's smaller and lighter than the G19 by just enough to make a difference in carrying comfort. What do I know - I have 9mm Glocks in all three sizes and all see service.

The best solution is like Marky Mark said. Try to handle/shoot both.

Comment

• DCPSDcop
      Series 0083
      • Mar 2008

Yeah since this is back-up gun only I would recommend the GLOCK26. I carry GLOCK17 on-duty and GLOCK19 off-duty. The GLOCK19 is awesome, but you may as well get the smaller version, since the likelihood of it being needed and used are very minimal, take the comfort and ease of motion advantages the GLOCK26 would offer (at one point, the Chief of my dept was carrying the GLOCK26 as his duty weapon, which I think is just stupid).
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

• Nightshift va
        Forum Member
        • May 2006

You might want to look at a Kahr for deep concealed back up carry or a airweight J frame or even that new Ruger 380. I think the Glock 19 is an excellent choice for off duty because it has a large enough grip that you don't have to dig for it in an IWB Holster like you would on the subs especially if off duty you carry IWB.
        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

• kingcop36
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2005

I agree with the glock 26. If you want, you could buy the glock 19 magazine and put an A&G grip (I think that's what it's call) on it to fill the gap and virtually have the same grip as the glock 19 with a slightly shorter barrel. That's what I did and it works great.

Comment

• Blackdog F4i
            Oh no, it's da Po-Po
            • May 2006

Glock 26.

I wish I had a G19 for off-duty, but I just carry my G26.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• GCPD0171
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by kingcop36
              I agree with the glock 26. If you want, you could buy the glock 19 magazine and put an A&G grip (I think that's what it's call) on it to fill the gap and virtually have the same grip as the glock 19 with a slightly shorter barrel. That's what I did and it works great.
              +1. I did that with my Glock 27 and it gives me the ability to switch between the easier to conceal 9 round mags and the 13 round mags of the model 23.

Comment

• Zamkn
                Enjoys his job
                • May 2007

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with the G26 w/night sights.

I appreciate your input!

Zamkn
                No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 31821 users online. 61 members and 31760 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...