300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .308 Vs .30-'06

In the thread Remington 770 for a sniper rifle the caliber most mentioned(maybe the only caliber) was .308. The price difference between a .308 and
    .30-'06 in a Remington 700 is about $300. Is the .308 that much better than the .30-'06?
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Depends on the intended use.

The .308 Win is the standard for almost any "sniper" fuction I can think of. It has a nice, relatively flat trajectory, and plenty of stopping power.

the 30-'06, on the other hand, is usually considered as the "hunting standard." It has great ballistics, but is not as "flat" as the .308. I have taken deer out to 500 yards with mine, with plenty of stopping power.

If you are looking to build a "sniper", get the .308. You will find many more accesssories tailored to the caliber.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Wait for Blackdog to show. I'm no expert but I've read that due to the shorter case (by 1/2 inch), the .308 has a more controled and consistant burn. Consistancy=accuracy
      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
      -Daniel Silva

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
        the 30-'06, on the other hand, is usually considered as the "hunting standard." It has great ballistics, but is not as "flat" as the .308. I have taken deer out to 500 yards with mine, with plenty of stopping power.
        You confused me on that one, but it is a common statement. All other things being equal (same bullet, barrel length etc...) the '06 will have a slight velocity edge due to the longer case. When you get into the heavier bullets, the velocity differential is increased. If memory serves the '06 is 7.62x63mm and has more case capacity.
        Accuracy wise, your statement was spot on, the 308 is more inherently accurate. It has a shorter column of powder to burn, burns it more consistently and has a sharper shoulder.
        As far as military sniper rifles goes, Carlos Hathcock did the vast majority of his damage with an off the rack winchester model 70 HUNTING rifle, not a heavy barreled varmint type rifle.
        The accuracy requirements for a Police sniper are much more stringent than that.
        A very good option would be the 260 remington firing 129 gr match bullets.

Comment

Don't want to get off topic but can we add the .338 Lupa into the mix here. Apparently it is quite the caliber, according from what I have heard... Rumor has it that LWRC is going to release a rifle in .338, must say something for the caliber. Remington also has that new sniper rifle in .338 Lupa.

My bolt action precision rifle is in .308, shoots flatter than the .06 and apparently is more accurate. I have heard that the .06 will reach out further. I'm no expert on calibers for rifle, the little knowledge above is what I have picked up.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
            In the thread Remington 770 for a sniper rifle the caliber most mentioned(maybe the only caliber) was .308. The price difference between a .308 and
            .30-'06 in a Remington 700 is about $300. Is the .308 that much better than the .30-'06?
            Depends on what your definition of better is and what purpose is the rifle going to serve.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
              Depends on what your definition of better is and what purpose is the rifle going to serve.
              Better= greater accuracy

Is the greater accuracy of the .308 enough to justify the additional cost of the weapon and the ammunition.

Primary purpose is killing coyotes at ranges up to and sometimes beyond 400yds.
              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

If your primary purpose is to kill coyotes, then the .243 or the .260 is probably your two best options. Both deliver more than enough at 400 yards and with the proper bullet selection, have very high BC's for their respective bullet weights and are very accurate to boot.
                If you want a 30 caliber accuracy cartridge, the .308 is the way to go.

Comment

From everything I have been able to gather the difference in the cartriges is small enough to be nullified by the rifle.

The .30-'06 can push the bullet a little faster, but just a "little".

For the 175gr. BTHP with Varget
                  .308 - 2690 fps
                  .30-'06 - 2694 fps

Heaviest published bullet for Hodgdon:
                  .308 - 200gr
                  .30-'06 - 220gr

Note: I don't load for .30-06 so I just grabbed some easy to find data. There may be powders out there that push it fast enough to make more of a difference, but I still think you are reaching the pressure limit of the cartridge, and THAT is not a limit worth exploring.

All accuracy debates are moot because the rifle will make a greater difference than the round and if you are looking for pure long rane accuracy there are benchrest cartridges that will do everything better.

I went with .308 because there is a HUGE range of factory loads available and I have quite a bit of experience with it, so there was no doubt it would do what I wanted it to do.

If you handload it really isn't going to make much of a difference. If you are restricted to factory loads, the .308 is going to be better for you and more than adequate for 800 yards.

I have never actually been coyote hunting (that will probably change next year), but if you are only going out to 400 yards it would seem to me that a .223 might be a better choice. The ammo is a lot cheaper and more than adequate at killing something as small and light as a dog.
                  Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 02-19-2008, 08:12 AM.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                    Better= greater accuracy

Is the greater accuracy of the .308 enough to justify the additional cost of the weapon and the ammunition.

Primary purpose is killing coyotes at ranges up to and sometimes beyond 400yds.
                    Fair enough. If it is greater accuracy for a long range precision rifle as opposed to a hunting rifle that you are going to lug around. The .308 is the better choice. This is a long time argument of epic proportions. However the proof is in the puddin so to speak. The 06 used to be a good competition shooter way back in the day, but the advent of the .308 win absolutely crushed the 06 in every record category. Also is the 06 was a better round, every entity currently using the 08 would be using the 06.

The 06 is a very capable and excellent round. I hunted with one for many years. As mentioned the powder burn has been mentioned and the availability of off the shelf match ammo for the .308 is far superrior.

If it were my money and it were a long range precision rifle out to about 800m it would be the .308 hands down.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

What an education.

Thanks for all the great input!!!
                      sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

You got all the important info already, but let me chime in just so I feel better, ok?

As Blackdog stated, the differences in inherent accuracy are "minimal" at best. A handloader could make comparable rifles shoot about the same, but that's the rub, most people aren't handloaders. So, you're stuck with what's (easily) available.

Most ammo selections for 30-06 are hunting rounds, not match rounds. So it's an unfair comparison. It's like saying 5.56 is more accurate than 7.62X39, when you're shooting an AR loaded with 77gr BTHPs against an AK loaded with 123gr Wolf HP. That's not fair.

The case of the 06 is longer, and is not efficient compared to the .308. You burn more powder but don't get your "money's worth."

THE BIGGEST difference between the two is the case size, in that the .308 is chambered in rifles with SHORT actions, that are inherently STIFFER than long actions. In addition, they're "short-throw" and are quicker to use.

If you want a hunting rifle that has MAXIMUM versatility, get an 06. If you want a tack-driver, get a .308.

If you are open to other calibers, I'd highly recomend .260 rem. I wouldn't have recommended it 5 years ago, but since then Blackhills and Lapua both load it and it's not too expensive (about the same as .308.) It's a MUCH better long-range round, shooting a LOT flatter and is also a short action (.308 case, basically.) It stays supersonic past 1000yds, so it's good to go for F-class competitions.

I disagree with those saying the .308 shoots flatter than 30-06. It depends on the bullet weight, but usually 30-06 will shoot flatter (higher velocity.)
                        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, and for 'yote hunting, I'd use my 16" Bushmaster HBAR with 69gr BTHPs. Either that, or my new RRA Stainless midlength with 77gr OTM once I dial it in and scope it.
                          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4580 users online. 206 members and 4374 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X