X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pulicords
    "Retired"
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by jwise
    For your 3rd, or 4th, it's fine. But if you've only got your one rifle, don't mess with it.
    I've only got two (a Colt M4orgery and an Hbar). Since I'm not likely to get any more here in CA (unless I want one with a key lock on the magazine well), I guess I'll keep the stock gas systems. I was considering modernizing the Hbar, to include at least a "flat-top" update so it would be a more flexible system.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

• jwise
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2006

One is none, two is one. If you've only got the two rifles, keep them "good to go." Don't monkey with the action by dropping in one of these kits. They may work, they may work well, but so does the DI system which is already proven.

Go ahead and swap out the upper receiver if you want, as that is an easy swap for any smith to do (and even some hobbyists.) That will definitely enhance the versatility of the platform.

But until you get a third rifle, don't go doing anything "cutting edge" with one. Leave them in their most reliable form. You never know when you may need one!
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• smith297
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2007

Im working on building my first AR, so Ill probably be asking many questions.
        I have decided to go with CMMG.

My question is: Should I go with Anodized feed ramps or extended/polished ramps (+$10)?

Comment

• jwise
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2006

Anodized is fine. Save your money for ammo!
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• SWATCybercop
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2007

Hey, jwise -

Thanks for an informative thread. I've been using the M-16/AR-15 variant my entire life, and I was able to learn something from the comments posted here by you and others.

Anodized is fine. Save your money for ammo!
            Pay for ammo? Blasphemous!

Stay Safe!

Comment

• smith297
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2007

What do think of CMMG 16" M4 Upper? Is this a good rifle to start out with?

Comment

• jwise
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2006

Ummmmm... Yes. Did you not read the first page of this thread?????
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• jwise
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by SWATCybercop
                  Hey, jwise -

Thanks for an informative thread. I've been using the M-16/AR-15 variant my entire life, and I was able to learn something from the comments posted here by you and others.
                  That's what its all about: keeping your mind open to learning something new each day!
                  Last edited by jwise; 05-29-2008, 05:26 PM.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Newboot24
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2006

Jwise-

Ever heard of this guy? Or his stuff? http://www.fidelisarms.com/

He is building me this: with all FA internals

14.5” 1:7 twist barrel (wilson)

- Six position collapse stock

- Yankee Hill YHM Specter length W/End cap lightweight quad rail

- Yankee Hill machine Phantom 5C-2 flash hider

- Low or High profile rail covers

- Vltor Mur upper receiver

- Falcon Ind. Ergonomic grip

- CAA stalk saddle

- front and rear flip sights

- Single pt. sling mount

- Side swivel sling mount

- Black Hawk 1 or 2 point adjustable sling

- Custom trigger job

The lower is as follows:
                    Each 5.56 mm lower receiver is milled from a 7075-T6 forging.

Fidelis Arms Inc. manufactures in the the U.S. to mill-standards with many improvement(s)

- Enlarged flare magwell to increase ease of magazine changes

- Parting seams have been removed for a smooth seamless finish

- Lower receiver is deburred on all edges to remove all sharp edges/tooling marks

- Bead blasted by hand prior to anodizing to ensure a smooth even finish throughout the entire receiver

- Anodized type 3 hardcoat with strict quality control time-lines to ensure a jet-black finish every time

- Our receivers have a superior fit and finish to most receivers on the market

*Fidelis Arms Inc. stands behind all our products with a limited lifetime warranty

for $850.00....yay or nay?
                    Last edited by Newboot24; 05-29-2008, 07:00 PM. Reason: added more details

Comment

• jwise
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2006

Ummm, you can't have ALL full-auto parts!! The fire control group better be for a semi-auto unless this is to be a dept owned rifle.

It sounds good, but not enough info. Take pictures of the different areas in the other pics in this thread and we'll all get to see how it stacks up.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• beavo451
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Newboot24
                        Jwise-

NEGATIVE on the full auto parts. Unless department purchase, huge No-No on those parts. M16 BCG is okay though. Also make sure the flash hider is permanently attached. Otherwise, it sounds like a pretty good deal. I have heard references to Fidelis Firearms, but do not recall the quality.

Comment

• farrellsm77
                          Infidel Strong
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Newboot24
                          Jwise-

- Six position collapse stock

- Yankee Hill YHM Specter length W/End cap lightweight quad rail

- Low or High profile rail covers

- Vltor Mur upper receiver

- Falcon Ind. Ergonomic grip

- CAA stalk saddle

- front and rear flip sights

- Single pt. sling mount

- Side swivel sling mount

- Black Hawk 1 or 2 point adjustable sling

- Custom trigger job

The lower is as follows:
                          Each 5.56 mm lower receiver is milled from a 7075-T6 forging.

Fidelis Arms Inc. manufactures in the the U.S. to mill-standards with many improvement(s)

- Enlarged flare magwell to increase ease of magazine changes

- Parting seams have been removed for a smooth seamless finish

- Lower receiver is deburred on all edges to remove all sharp edges/tooling marks

- Bead blasted by hand prior to anodizing to ensure a smooth even finish throughout the entire receiver

- Anodized type 3 hardcoat with strict quality control time-lines to ensure a jet-black finish every time

- Our receivers have a superior fit and finish to most receivers on the market

*Fidelis Arms Inc. stands behind all our products with a limited lifetime warranty

Sounds like a sweet deal!!!!!
                          Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

• fyrdog
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2006

It's a question that would, have to be asked of the mfg. but with a name like
                            Fidelis Arms Inc could that be where the FA internals are coming from? Either way it's definately something that should be cleared up prior to any purchase being made.

Stay Safe

Fyr
                            Forti Fors Bona

Comment

• lalakai
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2008

Excellent thread; very much appreciated.

Need to pick your brain on the buffer. I'm building an M4, planning on using the BCM Adjustable stock with a 14.5" or 16" barrel. I've seen where there is an option for the "H Buffer", or "H2 Buffer", and not sure how that relates to the configuration i'm looking at. I think the H2 might apply if i was going with a shorter barrel, but not sure. That's where i need your help. Thanks in advance

not sure if it's relevent to the buffer issue, but i'm using a Rock River lower, with a CMT semi auto BCG. Wanting to go with BCM upper but they seem in short supply.
                              Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• Woofdog
                                LEO
                                • Jan 2007

AR-15 magazine. Military issue. Nice price.

Last edited by Woofdog; 06-04-2008, 08:18 PM.
                                Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18078 users online. 21 members and 18057 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...