X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suertetres
    Forum Member
    • May 2008

Thanks!

Hey jwise and all that contributed- thanks for the great thread- I'm new to the AR's and based on this thread, i think i learned quite a bit to save myself a ton of money and get a great rifle at the same time.

I alloted myself enough for the smith m&p model- but found a dealer in Lewisville that can get me the CMMG tomorrow so i pick it up- now with teh difference, its time to start the aftermarket stuff !!!

Comment

• jwise
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2006

Pullicords--- I understand there was a LOT in this thread, and its easy to forget the small stuff, but I specifically addressed the P-Mag as being THE magazine to get. You won't be disappointed.

Suertetres-- GOOD FOR YOU! Welcome to the site, and welcome to the world of the Black Rifle!
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Woofdog
        LEO
        • Jan 2007

Jwise,

Thanks for a great thread filled with good info.

Any experience with the GG&G tactical upper? If so, I'd be interested in your opinion.
        Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

• smith297
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2007

If I get a 16" barrel, does that mean the flash hider will not be permanently welded on? Which is better the A2 or the 3 Prong hider? And will I need a washer?

thanks

Comment

• zeplin
            Civilian Sheepdog
            • Dec 2007

I recently screwed up when I sold my Colt. I forgot to trade back the uppers with it and my Bush before delivery. So now I am stuck with a 1:9 and a flash suppressor that I do not like. I can live with the 1:9, but the flash suppressor I can see flash in broad daylight. It appears to be welded on. Is there any way I can replece a welded on suppressor and if I can, what are some good ones you'd recommend?
            sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• jwise
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Woofdog
              Jwise,

Thanks for a great thread filled with good info.

Any experience with the GG&G tactical upper? If so, I'd be interested in your opinion.
              Unfortunately, I am not familiar with that product. Let us know what you dig up!
              J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• jwise
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by smith297
                If I get a 16" barrel, does that mean the flash hider will not be permanently welded on? Which is better the A2 or the 3 Prong hider? And will I need a washer?

thanks
                The 16" barreled uppers come with threaded on flash hiders, not welded. You'll probably want the A2 "birdcage" FH which will need a washer. A crush washer is preferable to a peel washer.
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• jwise
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by zeplin
                  Is there any way I can replece a welded on suppressor
                  Yes, maybe. Show it to a local gunsmith and see if he can do it for you. I've had one that couldn't be taken off with anything less than cutting the barrel off! Others can be done much easier.

and if I can, what are some good ones you'd recommend?
                  Phantom. Half the price of the Smith, and just as good*.

*Just as good to the naked eye, not high-speed cameras.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• jwise
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2006

I've updated the Noveske review with pics from "noeyes."

Check it out: HERE
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• pulicords
                      "Retired"
                      • Jan 2006

jwise- What do you think of these piston system updates by Ares Defense? Are they worth the $350.00?

MCR, SCR, HERRING LEVER ACTION, MXR, RAIDER AND BANDITO PISTOL
                      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

• zeplin
                        Civilian Sheepdog
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jwise
                        Yes, maybe. Show it to a local gunsmith and see if he can do it for you. I've had one that couldn't be taken off with anything less than cutting the barrel off! Others can be done much easier.

Phantom. Half the price of the Smith, and just as good*.

*Just as good to the naked eye, not high-speed cameras.
                        Thanks jwise! ... or maybe the next time I'm over where my old Colt is I could swap out the uppers and see how long it took for it to be noticed.
                        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• jwise
                          Forum Member
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Pullicords
                          jwise- What do you think of these piston system updates by Ares Defense? Are they worth the $350.00?
                          For your 3rd, or 4th, it's fine. But if you've only got your one rifle, don't mess with it.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Woofdog
                            LEO
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by jwise
                            Unfortunately, I am not familiar with that product. Let us know what you dig up!

GG&G is an established manufacturer of tactical rifle accessories. We specialize in AR-15, M16, and Remington Shotgun parts for military, police, and sporting applications.

...is their weblink for the product. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who actually has one. Was hoping someone here had more info.
                            Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

• jwise
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2006

I'd rather get a CMMG upper, a Troy rail, and Troy flip up iron sights.

Let's see:
                              CMMG complete upper: $525
                              Troy rail: $250
                              Troy rear sight: $125
                              Troy front sight: $100
                              TOTAL: $1010

GG&G upper: $780
                              BCM BCG: $150
                              Charging Handle: $25
                              TOTAL: $955

$55 extra gets you a 1/7 twist barrel and upgraded components (I rank Troy above GG&G.)
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• jwise
                                Forum Member
                                • Apr 2006

Personally, I'd save even MORE money and get it with a LaRue fixed BUIS and leave the fixed FSB in place. This would look like this:

CMMG complete upper: $525
                                LaRue BUIS: $90
                                Troy rail: $250
                                TOTAL: $865

Not only is $865 a lot cheaper than either of the above options, it gives you a FIXED STEEL front sight to bang up against door frames, etc., rather than a longer/heavier railed handguard and an aluminum front sight. The carbine length rail is also cheaper than the midlength, so that $250 should actually be less than that.
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17120 users online. 21 members and 17099 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...