300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Surf...

I was looking at Colt, DD and LaRue and will look at the other couple also. I have time to decide. Hopefully my year goes quick so hopefully this thread stays updated cause it will be all I have in the box..
    Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

• Daniel Defense DDXV: $1199

Bonus Features
      * Cold Hammer Forged Barrel
      * A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight $70 value!
      * Enhance Flared Magazine Well
      * Rear Receiver QD Sling Swivel Attachment Point
      * Magpul P-Mag included

Expected/Required Features:
      * M4 Feed Ramps
      * Barrel: 4150, MP Tested, 1:7 Twist, Chrome Lined, M4 Profile
      * Chamber: 5.56 NATO
      * Bolt Carrier Group: Mil-Spec MP Tested, Properly Staked Gas Key
      * Buffer: H Buffer
      * Front Sight: Pinned “F” Marked Front Sight Base

If anyone has pictures of this rifle, PLEASE share them with me.

And of course, this is a STRONG buy.
      Last edited by jwise; 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Blkside View Post
        Thanks Surf...

I was looking at Colt, DD and LaRue and will look at the other couple also. I have time to decide. Hopefully my year goes quick so hopefully this thread stays updated cause it will be all I have in the box..
        As I mentioned the DDXV, the one jwise posted is the best deal bang for your buck, hands down. With the $250 coupon from Daniel Defense, you could apply that to a FF foreend and have one heck of a great rifle for an unheard of deal.

Also here is the kicker, if you are Law Enforcement OR Military, you can get the rifle that jwise posted from https://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/produc...xv-carbine.cfm. The retail from them is $1175, but LE / Mil pricing is $958.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
          As I mentioned the DDXV, the one jwise posted is the best deal bang for your buck, hands down. With the $250 coupon from Daniel Defense, you could apply that to a FF foreend and have one heck of a great rifle for an unheard of deal.

Also here is the kicker, if you are Law Enforcement OR Military, you can get the rifle that jwise posted from https://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/produc...xv-carbine.cfm. The retail from them is $1175, but LE / Mil pricing is $958.
          With the LE discount from DSG, $958 is a great price. When you net out the value of the rear sight ($70) and the coupon for a railed handguard ($250), you're talking about a solid rifle with pedigree and some fantastic features (hammer forged barrel!) for $638?

958-250 = 708 (coupon)
          708-70 = 638 (rear sight)

UNBELIEVABLE!

ETA: I updated the first page with the DD info.
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for that info guys.. really appreciate it.. Ill keep up with it and hopefully that deal will be going on when its time to order...

Comment

• Originally posted by William T
              http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/75239-m4-m249.html

This is some more of Colt Kool-Aid.net's overflow arguing with a combat veteran. This goes on all the time as these 20 year old mall ninjas continually try and argue with combat veterans who have seen the M-4 fail in combat over and over. But the hell with 'em. What do they know compared to these Internet whizz bangs? Bill T.
              I didnt read through all of this because it hurt my head to read all of the BS but let me explain something. Im asking questions about Civilian M4s in here so dont think I am lacking knowledge in this area, Im just new to civvie upgrades.

I spent 10 years with the 101st Abn, 8 of which was an the BN armorer. I know 3 things that make a huge factor to failures. In order from least to most is , function/design, ammo/mags and the biggest failure is the operator.

The highest rate of failure in my unit was due to lack of maintenance. We incorporated a 3x cleaning procedure after return from the field. 1 basic cleaning day of return, 2 breakdown cleaning next day all the way down to operator strip down, 3 was final breakdown cleaning with BN Armorer inspection. Fail to fires became almost non existent.
              Weekly type cleanings mandated while deployed with unit armorer inspections.
              During deployments BN armorers broke down to their companies and I made sure this happened for my guys. Sad part is other sister units walked around with "Modded Brown" M4s. Lack of maintenance is what I suspect. I dont know anything but Ill stand my ground.

There are units out there that beat their guns kicking doors and those that dont use them that often. Either way maintenance matters and I would doubt that all of the failures described in the story happened all at the same time and it was all design flaws or function failures. Especially since they are 2 different high quality manufacturers. The Mag Well on the 249 is not flawed, the militarys surplus of junk mags are. I used 7 brand new out of the box mags during field exercises and had no issues. (Drums werent issued for exercises)

I think that the M4 is an excellent platform and that it has proven itself effective. I think there are better platforms out there but there are better cars than the one you own. Are you going to trade it in?

And the biggest factor of this is that just because they are a "combat vet" doesnt mean they actually saw combat. I had a fueler from my unit tell the girl at the bar once we got home how he kicked the door in and saved a woman from being executed. BS like many other people who go over there.

Either way thanks to the guys who are here keeping me up with the new upgrades.

Comment

• Originally posted by William T
                http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/75239-m4-m249.html

This is some more of Colt Kool-Aid.net's overflow arguing with a combat veteran. This goes on all the time as these 20 year old mall ninjas continually try and argue with combat veterans who have seen the M-4 fail in combat over and over. But the hell with 'em. What do they know compared to these Internet whizz bangs? Bill T.
                Seriously Bill, your really sounding like sour grapes and starting to stink up a great thread. If you want to have a "forum" to vent about the Colt Koolaiders start your own thread and I am sure we can all gather there and have a discussion. However out of respect to the person who started this thread and to all of those who invested a vast amount of good information into it, I think this discussion should be moved elsewhere.
                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• There seems to be a consensus on several AR Forums that to “truly know if you have a reliable rifle you need to fire 1500 rounds without any failures without cleaning it and only lubing it once maybe twice.”
                  Does anyone think this is reasonable? If so, how should you shoot these 1500 rounds: mag dump(s), plinking over weeks, months, etc., benchrest, all of the above or ??
                  If you don’t think this is reasonable, what would you consider a reasonable test of reliability?
                  Thanks

Comment

• Send me all the weapons you want tested and I will perform a 25 year long term test. TIA

Comment

• To those who want to discuss the reliability or controversial nature of the AR-15 platform, please join me over HERE.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                        If your staking is good, you don't need a new bolt CARRIER. I just suggested a BOLT. The bolt is magnetic particle inspected (MPI) and shot peened. It shouldn't be more than $50-60.
                        Is it OK to just drop in a new bolt assembly with a carrier that's already broken in?
                        My old Marine Corps M16 manual has BOLDFACE warnings not to ever interchange bolts between rifles. Serious injury may result, etc. etc. Is that just for worn bolts? I guess I thought bolts basically went with carriers once they'd been fired for a while. If you need to replace one you should replace both. Is that not true?
                        The Marine Manual also says that replacing the bolt assembly is "intermediate/depot level maintenance" and requires "headspace testing/adjustment".
                        I don't even know what "headspace" is. Can you explain?
                        Are you sure that you can always put a new bolt in an old carrier without issues?

Thanks for the great thread.
                        Last edited by cryhavoc; 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Some would say that you should get a new barrel (and barrel extension) and bolt carrier if you are going to install a new bolt, but personally, unless and until I am convinced otherwise, I think that's just foolishness.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• jwise ~ You should try this camo paint out on one of your rifles and post up how well it works. I figure you are a better guinea pig... er tester, than I am.

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product...-w-stencil.cfm
                            Last edited by GGG; 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blkside View Post
                              Send me all the weapons you want tested and I will perform a 25 year long term test. TIA
                              You are so kind...what would this "service" cost me?

Comment

• Nothing I will even pay for shipping.. Just let me know when you want to send them to me. I will arrange everything.. lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8996 users online. 397 members and 8599 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X