Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
    I am also a fan of the Troy MRF rails.

I have a 10" no FSB, 13.8 on my latest SPR, and my work gun is the 12" with the FSB cutout.

I also really dig that camo job. One of the better, realistic camo jobs I've seen.
    I swear, you have excellent taste....
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
      ucrt- I'm not sure what you are actually asking. If you're asking if there are permanent jobs that don't LOOK permanent, then the answer is 'yes.'

However, you said "I want to have the option to remove the flash hider." If removing means "grind it off with a cut-off grinder", then 'yeah', it is "removable."

Correct jwise, I was meaning "if there are permanent jobs that don't LOOK permanent". I saw a RRA lower & an umarked upper a few weeks ago in New Orleans GS that had a <16" barrel with a FH to make it 16" but I didn't see a pin or weld, so I figured someone just pieced it together to dump it at the show and it wasn't legal.

I want to have the option to "easily" remove the flash hider. I could visualize myself ruining a good pair of Vise Grips unsuccessfully trying to get a welded FH off. (I'm joking about the ViseGrips ) You and zeplin made it clear that it can be difficult to tell if a FH is permanently attached. Thanks.

The RRA above brings up another point. The rifle I saw in N.O. a few weeks ago could have had a RRA upper but I didn't know how to tell. It did not have a RRA marking anywhere on the upper. I've seen several different brand new complete rifles out of the box where the lower is marked and the upper isn't. Is that normal or a short cut taken the past year because of the high demand?

Is there a "secret" way to tell who makes an umarked upper? And is there a way to tell if a rifle left the factory as complete rifle?

What about internal parts? I seen very few marked internal parts. I'm sure there is a Noveske marked rifle out there that someone has swapped the insides out to a bunch of "pewter" parts. I know how to tell counterfeit and modified high dollar pocket knife but unmarked gun parts is a whole new world!

I've been seeing more used AR's hit the past few months and "not knowing" is why I have not bought a used one. I'd hate to see or hear of someone getting gigged. Maybe that would be a new thread??
      Well I'm rambling...
      Cotton pickin' LSU...

Thanks for y'alls help.

Comment

• Sure wish there was a way to download this entire thread as a PDF file.

JWise???
        Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
          Sure wish there was a way to download this entire thread as a PDF file.

JWise???
          Sorry. I've made it a Word file before, but it changes so much it was hard to keep up...so I didn't.

Cut-n-Paste...
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ucrt View Post
            I've seen several different brand new complete rifles out of the box where the lower is marked and the upper isn't. Is that normal or a short cut taken the past year because of the high demand?
            No, that's normal. Only the very high-end manufacturers mark their uppers, and that's usually because they sell a lot of JUST uppers.

Is there a "secret" way to tell who makes an umarked upper? And is there a way to tell if a rifle left the factory as complete rifle?
            Sorry again. There really isn't a way, because to be honest, most "manufacturers" are just "assemblers" that use other people's parts. Notice on the back right side of an upper receiver, just under the flattop rail. There will be a forging mark. Most are either the "cardinal", or the "keyhole." This is true across manufacturers, as they all get their forgings from the same places!

Bushmaster:

LWRC:

Noveske:

Sabre:

CMMG:

Last edited by jwise; 10-11-2009, 07:43 AM.
            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ucrt View Post
              Correct jwise, I was meaning "if there are permanent jobs that don't LOOK permanent". I saw a RRA lower & an umarked upper a few weeks ago in New Orleans GS that had a <16" barrel with a FH to make it 16" but I didn't see a pin or weld, so I figured someone just pieced it together to dump it at the show and it wasn't legal.

I want to have the option to "easily" remove the flash hider. I could visualize myself ruining a good pair of Vise Grips unsuccessfully trying to get a welded FH off. (I'm joking about the ViseGrips ) You and zeplin made it clear that it can be difficult to tell if a FH is permanently attached. Thanks.
              If an upper with a barrel of less than 16" has a flash hider that makes it over 16" you had best hope that the flash hider is not easily removed with hand tools. If it is, it is illegal and a Federal crime. The flash hider needs to be permanently attached via full weld, or blind pinned / welded, or blind pinned and silver solder (1600* silver solder). Unless if the weapon is registered as a short barreled rifle, having the option to "easily" remove the flash hider is a very bad idea.
              The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Wow....alot of great info here. Thanks for doing this. I didnt read all 59 pages but im wondering a few things.

1) In these pages has there been any updated prices since you know who took office and prices and availability have been affected?

2) Where is the best place to buy a quality AR? I have been wanting to purchase one but honestly have no experience.....for that matter I am not even much of a gun guy. Threads like this are so helpful for guys like me.
                I swear to God im going to pistol whip the next guy who says "Shenanigans" .......

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCoastie View Post
                  Wow....alot of great info here. Thanks for doing this. I didnt read all 59 pages but im wondering a few things.

1) In these pages has there been any updated prices since you know who took office and prices and availability have been affected?

2) Where is the best place to buy a quality AR? I have been wanting to purchase one but honestly have no experience.....for that matter I am not even much of a gun guy. Threads like this are so helpful for guys like me.
                  I would highly suggest www.m4carbine.net. This site is highly known for having true industry professionals. They are much more conducive and helpful to those new to the AR/M4/M16 world as opposed to some other sites. You will get very good, no-nonsense advice as to which makers and retailers are tops.

Quite frankly the gallery of guns site, lists some very high pricing. The best bang for your buck rifle out there right now is the Daniel Defense XV. As Daniel Defense is also running a $250 gift card right now with the purchase of any rifle. So basically you could potentially get a free float quad rail for nothing.

The other top notch rifle parts retailer is Bravo Company USA. There are retailers offering a full rifle for a fantastic price. Also right now there is a huge abundance of probably the best AR/M4 rifle made in the Colt LE6920. You can often find these going for around $1200.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

The bolts are good, but they aren't the best. If you want, you could spend $50 and get a Magnetic Particle Inspected/shot peened bolt from CMMG, LMT, or BCM.

Be sure the staking is good. If it appears to be poorly done, have a smith stake it properly for you (or do it yourself.)

Lastly, the extractor needs a bit more power than what normally comes from Bushmaster on their carbines. This can be fixed with a new spring, enhanced claw extractor, or an O-ring over the existing extractor spring. The O-ring only costs $1 for a pack of ten.

That's it, pretty much.
                    I checked the staking on both my Bushy's and they look good. I also upgraded the extractor when I first bought both guns. So that's good to go too.

If I buy a new Magnetic Particle Inspected/shot peened bolt from CMMG, LMT, or BCM should I just get the bolt with the gas key installed/staked and install the parts from the Bushy bolt group? I'm leaning towards the entire bolt assembly and then the Bushy bolt could be a backup if I'd ever need it. But then to save money (I'm unemployed and poor) I might just get the bolt with gas key.

Catch all that? I typed it and I'm confused.

BTW My Bushy's are in the mail to you for a paint job. LOL
                    "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

• If your staking is good, you don't need a new bolt CARRIER. I just suggested a BOLT. The bolt is magnetic particle inspected (MPI) and shot peened. It shouldn't be more than $50-60.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

If your staking is good, you don't need a new bolt CARRIER. I just suggested a BOLT. The bolt is magnetic particle inspected (MPI) and shot peened. It shouldn't be more than $50-60.
                        Oh...................now I just got to find somewhere that has them in stock.

Thanks!!!
                        "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDavy View Post
                          Oh...................now I just got to find somewhere that has them in stock.

Thanks!!!
                          You may already know this but if you go to the provided link you can sign up for email notification to let you know when Bravo has their bolts in stock.
                          http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A...semly%20mp.htm
                          Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad519 View Post
                            You may already know this but if you go to the provided link you can sign up for email notification to let you know when Bravo has their bolts in stock.
                            http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A...semly%20mp.htm
                            I just figured that out about five minutes ago.

Thanks to everyone for thier patience and knowledge sharing.

Comment

• Ok so with all the hostility aside.. I went thru and checked for updates on the production pieces. I am getting ready to buy one so ...

anything new I should be looking for...
                              Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

• Bill, with that wonderful post of yours above, I am not surprised you had issues. I think from my track record here, those who know me, know that I could care less what you perceive to be a hive mind by any group, much less m4carbine.com. Bottom line is there are more professionals on that site as a whole than just about any other site dedicated to the platform.

I am not a Colt fan because of m4carbine or any other site, and in reality there are just as many at that site who think Colt is just a brand name favorite. For myself, I have been a fan of Colt probably before the internet for very good reason. There is also a reason that jwise, so wisely stated in this very thread that Colt is the benchmark and it still is. I think I will leave it at that out of respect for this fine thread.

Originally posted by Blkside View Post
                                Ok so with all the hostility aside.. I went thru and checked for updates on the production pieces. I am getting ready to buy one so ...

anything new I should be looking for...
                                In any event, in order to keep this thread on track, for those asking, there are much better pricing on rifles out there nowadays, and gallery of guns isn't one of them.

If you want what I feel to be the top names in the game as of right now, they are, in no particular order;

Noveske
                                LaRue
                                Bravo Company
                                Daniel Defense
                                LMT
                                Colt

The best bang for your buck and top quality parts and assembly, the ticket right now is Daniel Defense with their added $250 coupon, re-deemable for any DD accessories. The big trend right now looking for quality steel and testing, such as MPI and HPT as well as the old tried and true already discussed. Steel quality and cold hammer forged barrels is sweeping the platform right now. There are some really high quality finishes happening also. I will say that for your average hobby shooter, many rifles will be just fine. However for high volume shooters, who may not have spare parts readily available, there are good reasons to look more into quality parts.

There is a saying that does apply to AR/M4 rifles. "You can pay me now, or pay me later."

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9012 users online. 436 members and 8576 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X