300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Sight Question

With the quality removable (folding & fixed) front sights available, what are the advantages (and disadvantages) of having a fixed front sight versus mounting a removable (folding or fixed) front sight on a railed gas block versus having a railed fore-end and mounting a removable (fixed or folding) front sight on top of the fore-end rail?

Comment

• The fixed front sight base (FSB) is forged steel. The folding and fixed rail sights are aluminum.

I could slam a FSB into a door jam while clearing a room (on accident) and not worry about the sight getting messed up (knocked off completely, or just bent.)

Replacing the FSB for a rail-mounted sight is a step backwards, in my opinion.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Reason for Editing.
        Last edited by lazycop; 02-24-2010, 12:04 AM.
        Work smarter not harder!

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadly Balisong View Post
          Just finished building my Rock River Arms complete lower:

Now I need to find a good deal on an upper without charging handle and bolt carrier assembly. I'm looking at Bravo Company, RRA, Bushmaster or Armalite.

Any recommendations on where to buy at a good cost?
          16" M4 BCM Carbine Upper
          http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M...-urg-m4-16.htm

16" BCM Mid Length
          http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm
          Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
            The fixed front sight base (FSB) is forged steel. The folding and fixed rail sights are aluminum.

I could slam a FSB into a door jam while clearing a room (on accident) and not worry about the sight getting messed up (knocked off completely, or just bent.)

Replacing the FSB for a rail-mounted sight is a step backwards, in my opinion.

Makes sense. JWISE, I want to thank you for the effort you have put in the Forum. Since Nov. 4, I’ve gone up the food chain (DPMS > Bushmaster > Armalite > Rock River > Yankee Hill) in AR’s but this Forum really jump-started my true AR-ducation. Thanks.

I am thinking about getting a quality mid-length AR with a one-piece floating fore-end with a FSB. I like to keep my stuff clean but I don’t mind using my guns as tools. But I can just imagine seeing rust on the barrel under the fore-end and not being able to get to it. (Kind of like the rust on your LB 45 on your 1911 post, you just don’t want it there) It just seems the FSB would make it a pain to remove the floating fore-end to clean the barrel surface, barrel, etc. Is it a big deal to remove the FSB?

Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by ucrt View Post
              Is it a big deal to remove the FSB?
              Not really? You have tapered pins on most holding it in place. Remove your flash. Tap the pins out from the small tapered end. Slide the FSB off the barrel. Re-install in reverse order.

There are some that do not always use tapered pins, CMMG to name one. Procedure is the same cept you can tap the pins out from either side.
              sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I don't think you're going to remove a front sight base for maintenance. The good news, however, is that the barrel is phosphate coated, and won't rust (unless you let it soak in salt water or something...)

Get a two-piece free-float rail if this is a concern. Check out Troy.
                J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think you're going to remove a front sight base for maintenance. The good news, however, is that the barrel is phosphate coated, and won't rust (unless you let it soak in salt water or something...)
                  jwise, Thanks for posting. I knew I was forgetting something. Got focused on the simplicity of how to remove FSB and DOH!

2 piece Troy free float. Is that relatively new?
                  sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• 2 piece Troy free float. Is that relatively new?
                    No, its what I've been touting for years. Troy MRF-C:

Here's my RRA middy with the midlength (9") version: Troy MRF-M

Here's a look at the underside, where you see where mounting bracket locks on around the barrel nut, and you can see the push button for removing the lower rail section.

Depress the button with a pen, bullet tip, or firing pin:

Slide the bottom rail piece forward...

Then lift out.

Now you can get to one side of the barrel completely, but you could manage to wipe down the other side or get to any rust with some ingenuity.

If you REALLY wanted to remove the whole rail, then you could now just remove the hex-head screws and the top half will come off of the mounting bracket. That's a bit more work, and really unnecessary.
                    Last edited by jwise; 10-09-2009, 09:59 PM.
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Here's a look at the underside, where you see where mounting bracket locks on around the barrel nut, and you can see the push button for removing the lower rail section.

Then lift out.

Now you can get to one side of the barrel completely, but you could manage to wipe down the other side or get to any rust with some ingenuity.

If you REALLY wanted to remove the whole rail, then you could now just remove the hex-head screws and the top half will come off of the mounting bracket. That's a bit more work, and really unnecessary.

Cool. Thanks, zeplin & jwise. Jwise, you really went above & beyond with all of the pics. I appreciate it.

That is a fine looking camo job on your rifle.

I want to have the option to remove the flash hider. On a <16" barrel, it is obvious if a FH is pinned to make it permanent and I've seen FH's that had obvious "beads of weld" to make it permanent (one had a pretty crude arc weld with splatter and all) but have you ever seen a FH that was permanent but it wasn't obvious it was permanent? Like if it was silver soldered or some other discreet technique.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by ucrt View Post
                        I want to have the option to remove the flash hider. On a <16" barrel, it is obvious if a FH is pinned to make it permanent and I've seen FH's that had obvious "beads of weld" to make it permanent (one had a pretty crude arc weld with splatter and all) but have you ever seen a FH that was permanent but it wasn't obvious it was permanent? Like if it was silver soldered or some other discreet technique.

Thanks again.
                        On a <16" barrel you better make sure it's permanent when you replace it. Little things like that can get you in a boat load of trouble.

If it's pinned drill the pin out being careful not to drill through the barrel.

If it's welded. Take to a competent gunsmith.

If it's not obvious. Do you mean no washer present?

I had one on PB 20" barrel that was pinned without an obvious weld to boot. I used a die grinder to split the FH then split/peeled it off. It can get real tricky when your cut is getting close to the threads.
                        Last edited by zeplin; 10-10-2009, 10:02 AM.
                        sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• ucrt- I'm not sure what you are actually asking. If you're asking if there are permanent jobs that don't LOOK permanent, then the answer is 'yes.'

However, you said "I want to have the option to remove the flash hider." If removing means "grind it off with a cut-off grinder", then 'yeah', it is "removable."
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Then lift out.

Where did you get that camo job done. It looks awesome.
                            "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

• I did it. I posted the process somewhere on here...

Here's the post where I showed the process I used to paint my RRA midlength.
                              Last edited by jwise; 10-10-2009, 03:32 PM.
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• I am also a fan of the Troy MRF rails.

I have a 10" no FSB, 13.8 on my latest SPR, and my work gun is the 12" with the FSB cutout.

I also really dig that camo job. One of the better, realistic camo jobs I've seen.
                                The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7150 users online. 381 members and 6769 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X