300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source for 16" - lightweight profile - midlength gas system barrel

I love the light weight of my M1 carbine, and the weights people are reporting for their completed ARs are making me think I need to start with a light weight barrel if I want an AR that has something close to the same ease of carry and handling. I don't want something my little stick arms can't actually hold up for a whole day of training.

With CMMG out of the running, where can you get a decent lightweight midlength 16" barrel (1 in 7, 8 or 9 twist) or entire upper now for a decent price? The lightweight profile barrels that I'm finding are from companies I don't have info on and have carbine length gas systems.

By decent price, I mean more like $600 for an upper, not $1400.
    Last edited by chris falk; 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chris falk View Post
      With CMMG out of the running, where can you get a decent lightweight midlength 16" barrel (1in 7, 8 or 9 twist) or entire upper now for a decent price? The lightweight profile barrels that I'm finding are from companies I don't have info on and have carbine length gas systems.
      I'm not aware of any lightweight barrels in mid-length gas. If they exist, they are rare.

Comment

• Midwest Guns has Colt AR-15A3 M4 Carbine Rifle, LE6920 $1199

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/...3&EID=18691980
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by OperatorEX
          Bravo Company has a light weight setup in the works.
          Thanks for your terrific tip. You've just made a sale for them. BCM doesn't have as many options as CMMG used to have and who knows when in 2010 the 16" lightweight will be offered, but BCM's rep for quality is terrific, and the price is very competitive. I'm sure those BCM pictures we've been promised will show the expected quaility and make the wait until 2010 that much harder. Thanks to jwise for starting the thread and all the other contributors who made the AR research easy and entertaining.

Comment

• Beavo has given me some excellent pictures showing how to disassemble an AR-15. I will be adding them to the thread sometime today. They are really great, and will be beneficial to a number of AR enthusiasts. STANDBY!
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by chris falk View Post
              Thanks for your terrific tip. You've just made a sale for them. BCM doesn't have as many options as CMMG used to have and who knows when in 2010 the 16" lightweight will be offered, but BCM's rep for quality is terrific, and the price is very competitive. I'm sure those BCM pictures we've been promised will show the expected quaility and make the wait until 2010 that much harder. Thanks to jwise for starting the thread and all the other contributors who made the AR research easy and entertaining.
              yeah. Sorry about that. I was out of town this weekend and came back to a broken computer. I will try tonight.
              If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• I took some pics of my BCM M4 Upper. Not the greatest but I hope these help.

Anything else??
                Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

• even though i was beat by Brad here are my pics. i suck at this so here is my attempt.

first is overall. BCM 16" midlength gas system
                  2nd T markings
                  3rd barrel markings
                  4th extended feed ramps
                  5th full auto BCG
                  Attached Files

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• a few more

1st shrouded firing pin
                    2nd gas key screws
                    3rd F marked FSB
                    4th close up of roll mark on upper and BCG
                    Attached Files

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• it is a BCM upper on a CMMG lower. i didnt take any of the lower because everyone has seen that. let me know if you want any other pictures

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Thanks guys for the BCM pics!

I updated page 1 with Beavo's disassembly pics. Check it out!
                        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Before I read this thread I thought my Bushy was a good rifle capabale of battle.

I've always wanted a Colt, but now may be looking at LMT, CMMG and Noveske for my next purchase.
                          "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

• Your Bushy IS a good rifle, capable of battle. It just doesn't have the best features available. Some of those features can be added at relatively low cost. Others are just not practical for most. Unless you are just wanting a new rifle (nothing wrong with that!), you could just do a couple things to your Bushy and be well set.

This thread should not be used to say the Bushmaster is junk, but to show those who are planning to buy a rifle that there are better options out there.
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              Your Bushy IS a good rifle, capable of battle. It just doesn't have the best features available. Some of those features can be added at relatively low cost. Others are just not practical for most. Unless you are just wanting a new rifle (nothing wrong with that!), you could just do a couple things to your Bushy and be well set.

This thread should not be used to say the Bushmaster is junk, but to show those who are planning to buy a rifle that there are better options out there.
                              I never thought Bushy was junk, but I'd say upper mid-tier quality.

What are those "couple things" I should do to my Bushy's? I don't plan on getting rid of either one.

I'd like my next AR to be a Colt, CMMG, LMT or Noveske.

I have a friend who swears by the piston LWRC, but I think he prefers it mostly because he hates cleaning his firearms.

Thanks for this thread!!!
                              "You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts" Sir Winston Churchill

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

• The bolts are good, but they aren't the best. If you want, you could spend $50 and get a Magnetic Particle Inspected/shot peened bolt from CMMG, LMT, or BCM.

Be sure the staking is good. If it appears to be poorly done, have a smith stake it properly for you (or do it yourself.)

Lastly, the extractor needs a bit more power than what normally comes from Bushmaster on their carbines. This can be fixed with a new spring, enhanced claw extractor, or an O-ring over the existing extractor spring. The O-ring only costs $1 for a pack of ten.

That's it, pretty much.
                                Last edited by jwise; 10-05-2009, 10:04 PM.
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11045 users online. 520 members and 10525 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X