300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MPM05 View Post
    Not sure why the BAD is necessary. I've been in the Infantry for almost seven years now and have been married to the M-4 since Basic/Infantry School. If it's a reload, drop magazine with right index finger, bolt is already locked to rear, insert new magazine with left hand and release bolt with left thumb, continue mission.

If it's an initial load, insert magazine, pull charging handle and release (round will chamber), ready to roll.
    You're quoting me on a response that you have taken out of context, but I'll answer your question anyway.

First off, no it is not necessary. Like all other accessories, it is meant to enhance the operation of the rifle. And, again like all accessories, it's use will require re-training and practice before "actual use".

Reloads are faster. Witha standard speed reload, it might not be much, but it is still faster.

Given that an officer on patrol normally does not carry a spare rifle magazine on his person, a decent solution is the Redi-Mag. However, it somewhat blocks access to the bolt release. Boonie Packer makes an extension that allows normal use of the bolt release, but I did not feel comfortable with all that "stuff" to hit the bolt release. The BAD lever negates all that and makes the Redi-Mag a much better option. A speed reload with a Redi-Mag and BAD lever is scary fast.

Now the MAJOR advantage and seemingly overlooked/dismissed advantage of the BAD lever is locking the bolt back. Specifically the doublefeed/stovepipe/bolt-over-base/whatever-action-stopping malfunction.

Assuming that you are right handed, you can clear these malfunctions with 4-5 less steps. Providing the ability to lock the bolt to the rear with minimal hand movement is a huge advantage, especially in improvised or awkward shooting positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by GGG View Post
      Hhhhmmm, ok. My objections are not as strong now. From the Magpul website, it looked like you would press in towards the rifle to activate it, not down. And it looked like it did not extend out from the side. Hence my comment about sticking your trigger finger into the trigger guard to release the bolt.
      After I got the lever, I tried to manuever my finger to trip the trigger after releasing the bolt in one motion. You simply cannot do it. There is too much distance between the lever and the trigger. Also, the motion to release the bolt and the motion to press the trigger is completely different. You cannot do both in one motion without deliberately trying to do so. Also, because of the distance and changes in motion, it would require a tremendous amount of force actually move your finger so far and press the trigger.

Try this... Hold your finger outside the trigger guard about where the BAD lever would sit. Without even trying to replicate the motion to release the bolt, jam your finger into the trigger guard and try to trip the trigger. You should notice that it is very difficult to do this. The standard trigger requires a nearly straight pull back. Your finger would need to simultaneously curl and press straight back, very awkward motion.

Edit: You could aways buy one to try. If you don't like it, you can always sell it.

Comment

• One of my partners and I ran the Magpul BAD today on each of our rifles. He replaced his Phase 5 BAD, which had failure to lock back issues due to weight and design. We each ran about 400 rounds through our rifles, using USGI and PMags. We loaded around 5-10 rounds per mag to get some heavy use on the Magpul BAD. Neither of us had any issues. We also did numerous malfunction drills, which as mentioned, is where the bad really shines. It is also a very good addition to the Redi-Mag. Very much liking the final product.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Interesting post. Thanks for sharing it with us. This answered some of my questions.

Regards,
          Raine
          Pret travaux

Comment

• I'm glad I could help, and welcome to O.com!
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Has anybody bought a rifle recently that looks remarkably different than the pictures I have posted?

I might need to revamp the pictures, if so... Please let me know!
              J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• I just bought a BCM if you want pics of that.
                If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by 08duramax View Post
                  I just bought a BCM if you want pics of that.
                  YES!
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MPM05 View Post
                    Not sure why the BAD is necessary. I've been in the Infantry for almost seven years now and have been married to the M-4 since Basic/Infantry School. If it's a reload, drop magazine with right index finger, bolt is already locked to rear, insert new magazine with left hand and release bolt with left thumb, continue mission.

If it's an initial load, insert magazine, pull charging handle and release (round will chamber), ready to roll.
                    I can see where you are coming from. I have a decade of infantry and nearly another decade of police training with the M16/M4 series so I do not want to change the ingrained process used to release the bolt. If it works for some then great but I would have to use it about 3,000 or 4,000 times to get "de-programmed" from my prior training.
                    If you are newer to the weapon system it looks acceptable as long as you can deal with a "busy" trigger finger. Now you have mag release, bolt release and trigger to keep that finger busy.

It does have a pretty neat CDI factor though in those photos.
                    Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                      YES!
                      what do you want pics of?

Do you want me to post them or email them to you?
                      Last edited by 08duramax; 09-23-2009, 10:45 PM.
                      If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by 08duramax View Post
                        Do you want me to post them or email them to you?
                        Post them for heavesn sake!
                        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I want pictures of the parts that matter. Just look at the pictures I took, and take similar ones.

Just send me the links to where you have them hosted, and I will put them where they belong.

Thanks!
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• CMMG reduces product options further?

Please note my use of the words "appears", "seems", etc. I am not presenting myself as an authority and would welcome being corrected if I am in error.

It appears from CMMG's website that they have streamlined their product offerings still further. After the initial elimination of the lightweight and stainless barrels, it now appears that many of the flash hider, front sight, etc. options have been eliminated from the uppers and complete firearms. It seems that many of the grip and stock options have been removed from the complete firearms, but they still seem to be available when ordering lowers separately (as is recommended earlier in this thread to avoid the FAET bite).

I guess it's all part of the move to be a lean company that only has a limited number of products but will be able to to move things out the door quickly and not lose sales to buyers who can't or aren't willing to wait.

Nobody needs to own a mouth that they can't afford to feed and with even practice .223/5.56 at roughly 50 cents per round and a huge wait time for delivery, it seemed reasonable to wait for the rush to die down and to make sure that the price of ammunition would drop down to something more like .25 cents per round before ordering. Now, in retrospect, I am kicking myself on a daily basis for not ordering because it seems like the rug has been yanked out.

I admit to being sold on going the CMMG route based on the reported combination of quality level, relatively low cost, lifetime warranty, customer service reputation and the high number of options, but between the potentially long wait times and the loss of the "build it your way" advantage of CMMG, I feel their status of argueably the best "bang for the buck" is slipping. It's starting to look like we'll have to choose between paying more or accepting an inferior product unless CMMG expands the product line again or somone else can point to another company that has all of these atributes.
                            Last edited by chris falk; 09-25-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Just finished building my Rock River Arms complete lower:

Now I need to find a good deal on an upper without charging handle and bolt carrier assembly. I'm looking at Bravo Company, RRA, Bushmaster or Armalite.

Any recommendations on where to buy at a good cost?

Comment

• I would get a Bravo Company upper. Great price, great quality. Of course, buy it from Bravo Company.

PK Firearms carries RRA, Bushmaster, and other brands. Good service and prices.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6908 users online. 366 members and 6542 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X