300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    You win a cookie! Turned out to be that the rear scope ring was loose enough for the scope to be wandering around on that end. I discovered this last night. I could avoid embarassment by keeping this to myself, but maybe somebody will benefit from the knowledge.
    Take this as a good lesson. Make sure your rings, base and receiver (bolt rifles) are properly torqued. Proper torque wrenches and bits are handy.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surf View Post
      Take this as a good lesson. Make sure your rings, base and receiver (bolt rifles) are properly torqued. Proper torque wrenches and bits are handy.
      Is there a general torque spec, or is this manufacturer-specific?

Comment

Surf,

Where is a good place to get quality gun tools. I have not been able to find any that are worth bringing home. Made the mistake of buying some tools with the S&W name on them thinking they were quality only to discover they're made in china.
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Is there a general torque spec, or is this manufacturer-specific?
          Yikes. I really didn't want to open up this potential can of worms.......

Basically there is a long drawn out debate about torque spec vs gauge torque while taking into account sheer limits. Anyway, lets just remember to think along the lines of in/lbs and not ft/lbs which is what most people think of when talking torque. And yes I have seen ft/lbs used instead of in/lbs.

Without getting too crazy, there are certain rule of thumb guidelines, HOWEVER, most if not all manufacturers have set specs, from rifle makers to suit the particular action, to scope and ring manufacturers, to mount manufacturers. Much depends on types of materials used that are being fastened, and the stretch and sheer strength of the fastener. Now consider that manufacturers may change specs to suit whatever materials that they may be using, as an example a different sized torx screw will impart a different stretch or sheer value at a set in/lb torque setting.

For an experienced gunsmith / armorer, the torque specs can be more of a guideline as opposed to a rule. This is where hands on experience and knowledge comes heavily into play.
          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
            Surf,

Where is a good place to get quality gun tools. I have not been able to find any that are worth bringing home. Made the mistake of buying some tools with the S&W name on them thinking they were quality only to discover they're made in china.
            I get a lot of stuff via Brownells due to our PD account and purchasing process. However be aware that some Brownells MFR listed items are not so good, like the punches. I like Starrett for various punches, DPMS for the action block and multi-wrench, and Seekonk for Torque wrenches. I have the Seekonk 1/4" drive T-handle set, and a multi or variable Seekonk wrench. I do have Brownells items like roll pin holders, ejector tool, gas tube puller, FSB block, bolt carrier carbon reamer, headspace gauge, aluminum barrel vise block, hmmmmm......etc......I have quite a bit of stuff that I am leaving out but that is the gist of the AR/M4 specialty stuff. I also have quite a bit of stuff that is not really necessary for the average DIY type, unless if you are doing a lot of work on various rifles / barrels.
            Last edited by Surf; 08-07-2009, 12:05 AM.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• Thanks Surf. That's a good start.

Roll pins can be tricky. I press those in. In fact if I can avoid using a hammer I will.

Starret, funny how I only associated that name with caliphers and other measuring tools.

Was not aware that DPMS sold tools.

Sekonk is a new name to me.

Nice thing about tools, I can write them off come tax time.
              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

For an experienced gunsmith / armorer, the torque specs can be more of a guideline as opposed to a rule. This is where hands on experience and knowledge comes heavily into play.
                Well, to get a bit more practical, what we're dealing with here is a rank amateur who wants to DIY on (apparently) simple things like scope mounting himself because the turn-around time on the only known local gunsmith is measured in months. The Larue mount instructions didn't say anything about torque wrenches or gauges, just to use the provided Loctite. After finding the problem, I tightened them down "better", but not with "excessive" force - but that's entirely subjective. Is there a rule of thumb of what I should read on a torque wrench if I had used that for the task?

Comment

Well, to get a bit more practical, what we're dealing with here is a rank amateur who wants to DIY on (apparently) simple things like scope mounting himself because the turn-around time on the only known local gunsmith is measured in months. The Larue mount instructions didn't say anything about torque wrenches or gauges, just to use the provided Loctite. After finding the problem, I tightened them down "better", but not with "excessive" force - but that's entirely subjective. Is there a rule of thumb of what I should read on a torque wrench if I had used that for the task?
                  Cheap tools, like cheap guns will cause you more grief than they're worth. Buy quality.
                  sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Barnacle Bill- just tighten those screws down tight. You don't need a torque wrench for that mount.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                      Cheap tools, like cheap guns will cause you more grief than they're worth. Buy quality.
                      I'm pretty sure that I did. To my knowledge, Larue is generally considered top notch.

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                      Barnacle Bill- just tighten those screws down tight. You don't need a torque wrench for that mount.
                      Works for me - thanks!

Comment

Ignoring the torque issue, did you tighten the bottom screws completely before starting on the top screws?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that I did. To my knowledge, Larue is generally considered top notch.
                          Larue is top notch no doubt.

Also as I mentioned, a lot of tools that I own or mention are not needed by your average DIY type. With scope rings, it isn't rocket science, and keeping a simple hex set will do the trick. However when it comes to certain base mounts, or more importantly action screws on precision rifles, I get a bit more anal about torque specs.

If you work on weapons a lot, good tools are very nice to have. When I check certain mounts on 40-50 rifles at a time, it is nice to have a preset T-handle wrench and go at it. Makes life much easier.

I know this is an AR thread, but since we are talking torque settings, for the precision rifle guys, there are several manufacturers that are famous for sending out their rifles with very under torqued actions. Not too mention, you should be taking out the action and doing a bit of DIY accurizing anyway and replacing and re-torquing the rifle, to proper spec.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

• have a quick question:
                            I have a commercial receiver tube extension with 6 pos stock on it. I finally bought a CTR stock which is mil spec. Anyway, can I just buy a mil spec tube and use the same buffer and buffer spring that came with the commercial kit. Do I also need a new butt plate and castle nut? ( as mil spec is a smaller dia tube? )
                            Please advice. I know, I can just get a commercial CTR? but want to keep the rifle mil spec.

Comment

• If you get a simple hex set, MAKE SURE IT IS QUALITY. Cheap sets can be undersized or not tempered properly and can round off or if too hard snap in two. If you're not sure about the quality don't buy it. Go find a Snap-On dealer and get a set made by Snap-On. ...and don't buy anything made in china... or asia.

Cheap tools are dangerous too. I was reminded of that yesterday when I was helping a friend do some wiring using his tools. The freakin' screwdriver I was using slipped and I was stabbed in the palm of my hand.
                              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by AviatorDoc View Post
                                have a quick question:
                                I have a commercial receiver tube extension with 6 pos stock on it. I finally bought a CTR stock which is mil spec. Anyway, can I just buy a mil spec tube and use the same buffer and buffer spring that came with the commercial kit. Do I also need a new butt plate and castle nut? ( as mil spec is a smaller dia tube? )
                                Please advice. I know, I can just get a commercial CTR? but want to keep the rifle mil spec.
                                Yes. All your old components will work with a mil-spec receiver extension.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6742 users online. 334 members and 6408 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X