Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FJDave View Post
    No they're not.
    Well they were. They went fast also. When I got the notification I went to the web site and they were in stock. Nothing stays in stock long these days.

If anyone wants a LMT upper or BCG; Bravo USA is expecting BIG shipments from LMT starting in April and receiving more each month till fall. The best way to get them is to sign up for the email notification on the item you want and when they go in stock you should get an email. Then you must act FAST and get it ordered. A lot of people with AOL email say they don't get the email in a timely manner so you might want to get Gmail or have it sent to your phone. I got a LMT 10.5 and BCM Middy by receiving the email notification and jumping on it immediately.
    I still need a couple of BCG's.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

• Yeah, they go FAST. The last person that posted an upper in stock had the same thing happen....within 10 minutes they were all GONE. I was VERY lucky to get a lower parts kit from Florida Gun Works last week, but they have no uppers either.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

• So my opinion of RRA is high, it is just guarded. Know before you buy. Select the options that give you the best rifle, and don't buy off the shelf. If you buy RRA, order one.
        I had my choices narrowed down to CMMG or RRA. I contacted a co-worker who is also a dealer, and he indicated that he could get a good price on Rock River products. Of course I could also order from CMMG myself and use him as my shipping point, but if I decide to go with RRA I've hit a point where I need some advice.

He told me to go to the website and pickup out what I thought I wanted and he would price it out for me. My problem is that I don't see options for things like buffers, bolt and carrier group, or BCG upgrades (like the EGRESS).

Rock River comes with two-stage match trigger so that isn't an issue.

I've been trying to decide between 1/7 or 1/9, because I like the idea of heavier bullets but there sure is alot of 55 & 62 grain practice ammo out there. RRA does give me the good compromise with the 1/8 stainless steel barrel.

I am looking at the Standard mid-length A4, the Elite CAR A4, and the Elite CAR UTE2. I can't see that there is any difference between the standard and the Elite A4 except for the carry handle I don't want and the Hogue grip. The UTE2 is interesting to me since it eliminates the need to purchase BUIS, and I don't think I would mind co-witnessing with an optic.

I also don't know which rail system to go with. The RRA rail is the least expensive, and its aluminum free-float so I wonder if the optional SureFire or Daniel Defense rails are worth the extra money...or if I should just get the standard handguard for now and pick a rail in person later.

My plan with CMMG was for a FA BCG with EGRESS upgrade and an H-Buffer. I am going to use the F-marked FSB, Magpul CTR, A2 flash-hider, and VCAS sling.

Thoughts, comments, concerns...

Last edited by Bighead; 03-23-2009, 06:42 AM.
        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• Originally posted by Bighead View Post
          He told me to go to the website and pickup out what I thought I wanted and he would price it out for me. My problem is that I don't see options for things like buffers, bolt and carrier group, or BCG upgrades (like the EGRESS).
          No, you won't have these options with a RRA. Sorry.

I've been trying to decide between 1/7 or 1/9, because I like the idea of heavier bullets but there sure is alot of 55 & 62 grain practice ammo out there. RRA does give me the good compromise with the 1/8 stainless steel barrel.
          The 1/7 twist barrel can shoot 55gr ammo JUST FINE. It gets dicey with 52gr, and the 45gr is a non-starter. But as long as you are sticking with 55gr and heavier, the 1/7 is perfect.

I am looking at the Standard mid-length A4, the Elite CAR A4, and the Elite CAR UTE2. I can't see that there is any difference between the standard and the Elite A4 except for the carry handle I don't want and the Hogue grip. The UTE2 is interesting to me since it eliminates the need to purchase BUIS, and I don't think I would mind co-witnessing with an optic.
          I was just looking at the upper halves, and the standard middy upper was not pictured with a side sling swivel. So I guess the "Elite" comes with the tactical carry handle (which is nearly useless) and the side sling swivel.

The UTE is very interesting. I'd like it a LOT if I were buying several rifles to use in a specific training or operational parameter. However, for my own tools, I like versatility. You can't put a magnified optic in front of a rear sight like that. It limits you to red dot sights only. I don't think that's worth the $80 it would cost to put a detachable LaRue BUIS on your rifle.

I also don't know which rail system to go with. The RRA rail is the least expensive, and its aluminum free-float so I wonder if the optional SureFire or Daniel Defense rails are worth the extra money...or if I should just get the standard handguard for now and pick a rail in person later.
          Troy. LaRue. Daniel Defense. Samson Mfg. These are the best options.

My plan with CMMG was for a FA BCG with EGRESS upgrade and an H-Buffer. I am going to use the F-marked FSB, Magpul CTR, A2 flash-hider, and VCAS sling.

Thoughts, comments, concerns...
          A couple concerns. The most important part in an AR-15 is the BARREL. A good barrel has several features, not the least of which is the twist rate. The other features include the feed ramps (RRA has none), the profile (RRA barrels are THICK and HEAVY under the handguards, but can be ordered in "lightweight"), the chrome lining in the bore and chamber (RRA barrels are not chrome-lined as a standard offering, but must be added at an expense), and lastly the material it is made of and the inspection processes it goes through.

The Stainless barrel from RRA is VERY heavy, and cannot be had in lightweight (kinda defeats the purpose.) It's more of a varmint/target barrel, and not a multi-purpose barrel like the Noveske barrels, etc...

Like I said, order with CARE. It is VERY easy to get the wrong RRA.
          Last edited by jwise; 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to know the 1/7 will run 55 grain, that was one of my concerns.

I also like your point about versatility, and really like the Larue BUIS after checking it out. Buying it is not much more than the extra cost of the UTE2 rifle.

I want to run a VCAS 2-point sling, so the side sling is something I want. Glad you noticed that difference 'cause I missed it.

I am having him price the Elite CAR mid-length without carry handle, and with the lightweight, chrome lined barrel. Also checking to see if the R4 1/7 lightweight barrel would be an option with mid-length gas system.

Other options are ERGO AMBI grip, A2 flash hider, F-marked FSB, and standard latches & catches. I'm seeing what the money is with the standard handguard, RRA quad rail, and the Daniel Defense 9.0

Will keep everyone advised. Feel free to comment with any concerns.
            "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• Well I only have the camera on my phone to use right now.

The upper is from Bravo Company. Here are the specs on it:
              M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension (USGI)
              M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
              T-Marked Upper Receiver
              USGI 1/7 Twist Rate
              USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
              Mil-Spec 11595E - Barrel Steel (CMV)
              Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
              Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
              Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sight
              USGI Government Profile Barrel
              HPT Barrel
              MPI Barrel

I got in the hand guards and the Troy flip up BUIS yesterday. Thanks again to my girl friend for putting on the hand guards (which was a fun fight to watch) and the BUIS. She's pretty proud of herself.... and so am I.

Heres my wrist.

Had surgery on it Mon. Got 7 pin put in. Its been torture looking at this rifle and knowing it will be at least 8 weeks before I get to shoot it.

Comment

• Congats, and...Ouch!

Comment

• Well...My CMMG lower came in today, so now it is just a matter of waiting out the Upper. It was a little anti climatic picking the thing up from the gun shop

Is there anything specific i should inspect now that its here?

For anyone interested...I placed the order on Feb. 26, so it was just about a month to get the Lower delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hop View Post
                    Had surgery on it Mon. Got 7 pin put in. Its been torture looking at this rifle and knowing it will be at least 8 weeks before I get to shoot it.
                    D***!!! Mine was just a scratch compared to that. What were you doing? Bullriding??

Hope your recovery will be fast and complete.

I bet you'll figure out a way to get some shooting in within a couple of weeks if you haven't already.

Best to ya Hop!
                    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• CMMG Questions

As a novice to the AR-15 I am still in my research phase and this article and thread has been extremely helpful. I appreciate the recommendation that one obtain an upper and a lower in two separate steps. I went over the CMMG site and they have what looks to be a really nice selection of uppers. Being a novice though I had a couple of questions so bear with me in that context:

I am working from this link for reference:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...586390&cat=74&

I am also looking at long barrel options as I am more interested in range shooting and accuracy at longer distances.

So my technical questions are:

1. what does M10 refer to?
                      2. all indicate that they are NATO 5.56. Does this mean I can only use a nato round or can I use the Remington 223?
                      3. If i get a gas ball sight they say the barrel is undrilled and for the standard it appears that it is? Can someone explain in more detail what they are referring to as it looks like either clamps on anyway? What am I missing here
                      4. For long range shooting any recommendations on scopes/sights. I know that's a highly individual choice but share anyway. If i go with a scope would the standard sight obstruct the scope?

Based on the list per the link above I appreciate any thoughts folks have to share on these with anything over at or over a 16" barrel.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by racepad View Post
                        As a novice to the AR-15 I am still in my research phase and this article and thread has been extremely helpful. I appreciate the recommendation that one obtain an upper and a lower in two separate steps. I went over the CMMG site and they have what looks to be a really nice selection of uppers. Being a novice though I had a couple of questions so bear with me in that context:

I am working from this link for reference:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...586390&cat=74&

I am also looking at long barrel options as I am more interested in range shooting and accuracy at longer distances.
                        I hesitate to go into much detail, or to give you specific recommendations in this thread, as your wants are substantially different than the stated purpose/objective of this thread. This thread contains a vast amount of information, true, but its recommendations and analysis are tailored to fighting rifles, and the specs and features you should desire in a platform meant to go into harm's way.

My recommendations for you would be extensive, and would be very lengthy, but in no way belong in this thread. I do not have the time right now to go into all of them, as I am reading for my Constitutional Law class, but I will get to it eventually.

My only recommendation for you right now would be to create a new thread, and ask your question therein. Might I suggest a thread title, "What features should I look for in a target AR?", or something similar...
                        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Will post another thread. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

• CMMG Wait

Sorry if I posted on wrong thread. I just thought those interested in ordering utilizing the awesome information in this thread, might be interested to know potential wait times to ease their stress level on the front end. CMMG wait time mention moved to following thread http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116166
                            Last edited by Plattinum; 04-03-2009, 09:15 AM. Reason: Move to different thread

Comment

• Please edit and post that info here: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116166
                              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• OK, so the tax check has come in and my part of it (thank you honey!) I've been looking at a Colt LE M4. I've seen several on a popular site between $1,500 and $1,700. Let me ask you guys who are SERIOUSLY AR nuts, if I've got the scratch, should I just go ahead and pick this up instead of trying to buy pieces here and there? Please, someone say something - ASAP! The clock's ticking!
                                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7117 users online. 393 members and 6724 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X