Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jwise View Post
    Wolf is the cheapest out there, and I have run thousands of rounds of the stuff through my rifles with no ill effects.
    So there are no problems using steel cased ammo in an AR? I was always led to believe that the steel cased stuff was "bad".


    Btw, this is the best thread on the topic of ARs I've seen on the Internet. Well done jwise and well done O.com!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by TheDan View Post
      So there are no problems using steel cased ammo in an AR? I was always led to believe that the steel cased stuff was "bad".
      The powder smells funny, and it fouls up the rifle quicker, but other than that, I've used it with good results* for a LONG time.


      *"Good results" refers to the functionality of the ammo, not its accuracy!

      Btw, this is the best thread on the topic of ARs I've seen on the Internet. Well done jwise and well done O.com!
      Thank you. I'm glad it has helped you.
      J. Wise

      AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

      "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

      Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

      sigpic

      Comment


      • Have you seen Spike's Tactical ST-15? If you have what do you think?
        sigpic
        Quando Omini Flunkus Moritati! (When all else fails, play dead.)

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BigGreyS View Post
          Have you seen Spike's Tactical ST-15? If you have what do you think?
          Here's the description from their website:

          New Spike's Tactical 16" M4 upper. This upper comes complete with bolt carrier group and charging handle. Semi auto bolt carriers have the shrouded firing pin to protect against hammer wear. Upper receivers are T marked and have the Spike's logo and include extended feed ramp cuts. Features include standard contour M4 barrel, 11 degree recessed target crown, notched M4 handguard cap, chrome-lined 5.56mm chamber and bore, 1/7 twist, parkerizing under F marked forged front sight base and magnetic particle testing on every barrel.
          Shrouded pin: check
          T-marked upper: check (just a nice touch, not a big deal)
          Extended feed ramps: check
          Gov't profile: check
          chrome-lined: check
          5.56NATO chamber: check
          1/7 twist barrel: check
          Parkering under the FSB: check
          F-Marked Front Sight Base: check
          MP Tested barrel: check

          Looks good, except for any information regarding the second most important part, the bolt carrier group.
          J. Wise

          AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

          "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

          Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

          sigpic

          Comment


          • Tactical Rifle Case

            jwise recommends the Assault Systems case. When I google that brand, I find at least three different web sites, all claiming to sell the only true Assault Systems case. Anyone know where to get a "real" Assault Systems case, or how to tell the real one from wannabes?

            Comment


            • I just placed my order for a lower receiver from CMMG. Going through the check out process, I didn't see anything in reference to the FFL. What is their process for shipping out the Lower? I've never purchased a firearm online and had it shipped, so i don't really know what the exact procedure is other than knowing it has to go through a licensed dealer.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by georgexpd8 View Post
                I just placed my order for a lower receiver from CMMG. Going through the check out process, I didn't see anything in reference to the FFL. What is their process for shipping out the Lower? I've never purchased a firearm online and had it shipped, so i don't really know what the exact procedure is other than knowing it has to go through a licensed dealer.
                Take a copy of your order to an FFL holder. The FFL holder will fax the order and a signed copy of the FFL to CMMG. CMMg will them ship the lower to the FLL holder, where you have to do the transfers, etc.

                I ordered my lower reciever in December, was billed 4-5 weeks ago, haven't heard a thing from CMMG. I've email mutiple times, called mutiple times, nothing. I'm a bit frustrated with their poor customer service. I am going to assume that its just because they are swamped with orders. But still...how long does it take for them to shoot an email back?

                For those of you who have actually spoken with a CMMG employee, is there some magical password you have to say?
                sigpic

                In Memory
                Officer J. Sanders
                EOW 12-15-2008


                Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

                Comment


                • Originally posted by georgexpd8 View Post
                  I just placed my order for a lower receiver from CMMG. Going through the check out process, I didn't see anything in reference to the FFL. What is their process for shipping out the Lower? I've never purchased a firearm online and had it shipped, so i don't really know what the exact procedure is other than knowing it has to go through a licensed dealer.
                  You should have your FFL fax or email them their FFL and your order number.

                  Comment


                  • My CMMG order that was placed on 12/24/08 was just charged to my credit card. Part way there. I ordered a CMMG Semi-Auto Lower Receiver w/Internals and Stock and CMMG Semi-Auto Stripped Lower Receiver.

                    So I have a new acronym we can use... instead of IBTL (In Before The Lock), how about IBTB (In Before The Ban)!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by WinterBoarder View Post
                      My CMMG order that was placed on 12/24/08 was just charged to my credit card. Part way there. I ordered a CMMG Semi-Auto Lower Receiver w/Internals and Stock and CMMG Semi-Auto Stripped Lower Receiver.

                      So I have a new acronym we can use... instead of IBTL (In Before The Lock), how about IBTB (In Before The Ban)!
                      LOL

                      Has CMMG given you any kind of ETA for your lowers?
                      sigpic

                      In Memory
                      Officer J. Sanders
                      EOW 12-15-2008


                      Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by IrishJoe View Post
                        LOL

                        Has CMMG given you any kind of ETA for your lowers?
                        I'm expecting a standard email from them stating 6-9 weeks or so. So the wait continues!

                        I'm just glad that the lowers are going to production given the political climate.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jambla View Post
                          jwise recommends the Assault Systems case. When I google that brand, I find at least three different web sites, all claiming to sell the only true Assault Systems case. Anyone know where to get a "real" Assault Systems case, or how to tell the real one from wannabes?
                          Hmmm... Well, if it helps, it should cost somewhere between $85-100.

                          This one looks right, but it's NOT the cheapest I've seen:

                          Shooting Systems
                          J. Wise

                          AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

                          "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

                          Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jwise View Post
                            Hmmm... Well, if it helps, it should cost somewhere between $85-100.

                            This one looks right, but it's NOT the cheapest I've seen:

                            Shooting Systems
                            Thanks, J. Wise. The size 5, which is the 36 inch, seems to be going for around $110 on a couple of the sites, with a couple of others selling it for $10 to $20 less. I will check out the link you posted. I just wondered if some of them are not the quality of the orginal cases, or if they are all the same, and I should just go where I can get the best deal.

                            By the way, let me add my thanks for the work you put into this thread to the dozens of others. It has been a great education for me.

                            Comment


                            • I just got my new magpul sling with the magpul asap mount. This is the best sling that ever worked for me (lefty here). It's easy and fast to operate, the sling converts from a single point to a two point in seconds and adjusts perfectly. I'm very impressed, and that's why I'm posting in here.
                              Last edited by dave80; 02-26-2009, 08:16 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by dave80 View Post
                                I just got my new magpul sling with the magpul asap mount. This is the best sling that ever worked for me (lefty here). It's easy and fast to operate, the sling converts from a single point to a two point in seconds and adjusts perfectly. I'm very impressed, and that's why I'm posting in here.
                                Where did you get the sling? I've found the plate, but I can't seem to find the sling...

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 7951 users online. 391 members and 7560 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X