Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need about 150 rounds of defensive ammo to fill my duty mags. I had planned on having one mag be FMJ rounds, but what should I go with for the rest of my mags. I have a 1/9 chrome lined barrel.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
      I need about 150 rounds of defensive ammo to fill my duty mags. I had planned on having one mag be FMJ rounds, but what should I go with for the rest of my mags. I have a 1/9 chrome lined barrel.
      well, there is a love and hate relationship with Federal TRUs 55gr.....

that is what I would go with

Comment

• This thread sure does get around on the Internet.
        Thank you jwise. Excellent reference material for AR buyers.

However, one thing seems to be missing lately from the all-important Page 1 of the thread.
        The "BIG CHART" comparison graphic no longer displays. The hyperlink is broken.

I know this chart is somewhat controversial and there are different versions available online. I was wondering if jwise or some of the other knowledgable folks who have contributed to this thread still consider that chart to be accurate and useful. It seems some of the major manufacturers (notably CMMG and Rock River) have since "upgraded" their products and available options to comply with some of the criteria listed on that chart. (especially in the area of staked gas keys and bolt/bolt carrier characteristics).

Is there an updated chart? Where can the latest version be found?
        Is it still a useful tool for comparison shopping?

Thanks.
        Last edited by cryhavoc; 02-15-2009, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cryhavoc View Post
          This thread sure does get around on the Internet.
          Thank you jwise. Excellent reference material for AR buyers.

However, one thing seems to be missing lately from the all-important Page 1 of the thread.
          The "BIG CHART" comparison graphic no longer displays. The hyperlink is broken.

I know this chart is somewhat controversial and there are different versions available online. I was wondering if jwise or some of the other knowledgable folks who have contributed to this thread still consider that chart to be accurate and useful. It seems some of the major manufacturers (notably CMMG and Rock River) have since "upgraded" their products and available options to comply with some of the criteria listed on that chart. (especially in the area of staked gas keys and bolt/bolt carrier characteristics).

Is there an updated chart? Where can the latest version be found?
          Is it still a useful tool for comparison shopping?

Thanks.
          I believe these links are what you are looking for. Looks like it's updated as of August, 2008.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...jFwPrgTA&hl=en

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Comment

• Originally posted by WinterBoarder View Post
            I believe these links are what you are looking for. Looks like it's updated as of August, 2008.
            Thanks WinterBoarder. That's the one.

Comment

• Well today I bought 10 pmags (on backorder from Brownells), and 400 rounds of .223 55gr FMJ from WalMart (they had about 60 value packs, so I didn't feel bad about taking 4 of the)... now I just have to order that pesky rifle to use them in...

Comment

• Hey folks. I too want to thank everyone for their effort on this thread. I went from knowing nothing, to feeling comfortable enough move forward with ordering a CMMG upper and lower. I have a few questions though, which i hope havent been covered already. The setup is fairly consistant with the other CMMG specifications I've seen posted, but I'll add it anyway.

Here's what I've ordered:

CMMG 16" Mid-Length Upper (SKU U-1605)
                Receiver: A3
                Bolt and Carrier: Full-Auto Carrier
                Bolt and Carrier Group Upgrade: EGRESS Bolt Upgrade
                Charging Handle Upgrade: No Charging Handle Upgrade
                Feed Ramp Option: Extended/Polished Ramps
                Front Sight: A2 Post
                Front Sight Base: F Marked Front Sight Base
                Forward Assist Option: Round Forward Assist
                Handguard Option: Standard Mid-Length Tapered Handguard
                Rear Sight Option: No Rear Sight
                Hider Option: A2 Hider

I will be ordering the following lower shortly:

CMMG Semi-Auto Receiver w/ Internals and Stock (SKU L003)
                Buttstock: BS-5 5 position carbine stock
                Buffer: H Buffer
                Endplate Adapter: Standard Endplate
                Pistol Grip: A2 Pistol Grip
                Gapper Upgrade: Gapper

Now considering that combination of upper/lower I have the following questions:
                1. Do i need to change the endplate on the lower to the Side Sling Adapter Plate if I plan on attaching some sort of a sling?
                2. Will the rifle have any sort of default rear sighting mechinism since i didnt specify one, or will i need to purchase a BUIS/Optic?
                3. When I go to assemble the upper/lower will I have everything I need to make a fully functioning rifle, or will I need some additional parts to pull it all together?

Are there any other glaring "gotcha's" that i'm not seeing?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by georgexpd8 View Post

Now considering that combination of upper/lower I have the following questions:
                  1. Do i need to change the endplate on the lower to the Side Sling Adapter Plate if I plan on attaching some sort of a sling?
                  2. Will the rifle have any sort of default rear sighting mechinism since i didnt specify one, or will i need to purchase a BUIS/Optic?
                  3. When I go to assemble the upper/lower will I have everything I need to make a fully functioning rifle, or will I need some additional parts to pull it all together?

Are there any other glaring "gotcha's" that i'm not seeing?

Thanks!
                  I don't come close to having the vast knowledge on the AR as most of the others on this post but after doing a lot of reading and research lately I can tell you the following:
                  1. Depending on what type sling you use you can loop it thru the stock that is already on your lower. If your going to use a 1 point I believe you need to change out the rear end plate. Mainly depends on what type of connector the sling is using.
                  2. If you didn't specify a rear sight then it won't have any type or rear sight on the gun. You will need a BUIS and/or an optic.
                  3. With the exception of not having a rear sight you should be able to connect the upper to the lower and go "bang".

Hope that helps and again I'm not even close to having the knowledge as Jwise and some of the others. Hopefully one of the others will chime in if I am wrong about anything.
                  Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

• Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
                    You might want to reconsider. The rail that comes on the DD rifle does not appear to be attached using the same method as all other Omega rails, even though it bears the Omega name.

Perhaps somebody else that is more knowledgeable about the Omega rail will come along.
                    I sent an email to Daniel Defense and here is the response:

The Omega Rail 7.0 is compatible with our rifle. You will have to replace the barrel nut with a standard Delta Ring/Barrel Nut Assembly. This will require removing the flash hider and front sight base.

Comment

• Essential Arms AR-15s... are those decent battle rifles or should they be reserved for plinking at the range?

Comment

• Reference some of the must have items, refer to this:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ighlight=TLR-1

Good discussion. I like what was pointed out: if it doesn't solve a problem, don't add it. KISS.

Now there are many toys to add, but for a fighting rig see above.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad519 View Post
                          I don't come close to having the vast knowledge on the AR as most of the others on this post but after doing a lot of reading and research lately I can tell you the following:
                          1. Depending on what type sling you use you can loop it thru the stock that is already on your lower. If your going to use a 1 point I believe you need to change out the rear end plate. Mainly depends on what type of connector the sling is using.
                          2. If you didn't specify a rear sight then it won't have any type or rear sight on the gun. You will need a BUIS and/or an optic.
                          3. With the exception of not having a rear sight you should be able to connect the upper to the lower and go "bang".

Hope that helps and again I'm not even close to having the knowledge as Jwise and some of the others. Hopefully one of the others will chime in if I am wrong about anything.
                          You nailed it.
                          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• So I know CMMG is swamped right now with orders and all.... I ordered a complete lower back in December. I haven't heard hide nor hair from them and they aren't responding to emails or answering the phone. (though I have been billed as of 3-4 weeks ago...thats promising) Anyone else run into this problem?

I haven't even ordered the upper yet...afraid to. ;-) The uppers take just as long to build/ship?
                            sigpic

In Memory
                            Officer J. Sanders
                            EOW 12-15-2008

Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

Comment

• I hope that it will not take too long. I ordered my upper about 3 weeks ago. Being charged is a good sign.
                              sigpic
                              Quando Omini Flunkus Moritati! (When all else fails, play dead.)

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishJoe View Post
                                So I know CMMG is swamped right now with orders and all.... I ordered a complete lower back in December. I haven't heard hide nor hair from them and they aren't responding to emails or answering the phone. (though I have been billed as of 3-4 weeks ago...thats promising) Anyone else run into this problem?

I haven't even ordered the upper yet...afraid to. ;-) The uppers take just as long to build/ship?
                                That doesn't sound right. They have never charged my card until the day they shipped. Have you contacted them or your FFL?
                                sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7763 users online. 395 members and 7368 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X