300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good investment tho..
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Thanks! I'd rather not know...
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Hi JWise!!
        I can't even begin to tell you how much I learned from your post. I had no idea about most of that stuff!
        I think I am already set on getting a Noveske, but just wanted to get your opinions on the Wilson Combat AR's and the Knights Armament Company AR's. Also, what is YOUR personal prefrence between 5.56 and 6.8 SPC rounds. I am having a hard time making up my mind.
        Thanks for all your input!

Knights Armament Company:
        http://www.knightarmco.com/

Wilson Combat:
        http://wilsoncombat.com/
        Last edited by js308; 02-13-2008, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Good question. Give me a few minutes and I'll answer 'em one at a time.

Ok, as for the KAC and the Wilson, I have a few issues with each. The first, and most important, is the utter lack of information about each available on their websites. I was thoroughly disappointed reading through each.

They both come with nice triggers (KAC 2-stage on the SR-15, and a JP single stage on the Wilson.)

They are both ridiculously expensive ($1575 for a standard M4 styled Wilson, and $2k for the SR-15 with railed forearm.)

The bolt on the SR-15 is upgraded, much like the LMT enhanced bolt. However, all Wilson says about their bolt is that it is NP3 coated.

I get the distinct feeling from each company's website that their name alone should sell the rifle, and the details are beyond you anyway, so why should they bother telling them to you?

I saw an ad for a group buy on the SR-15, but the details looked to be custom, and not one of the standard offerings. The details in the ad stated it had a hammer forged barrel, which is a very good thing, but I don't know if that's a standard offering.

Either way, I hear VERY little about these rifles, as they are more "Gucci-Gear" than actual "hard-use" gear. I've handled a Wilson, but never a KAC SR-15 (I've handled the SR-25, which is the 7.62NATO rifle.)

So, in summary, I would NOT recommend either until I could learn more about each. I don't see how either could be a better rifle than the Noveske, so I would stick with it. Good choice.

Regarding 6.8 vs 5.56, I think it's a moot point for me. My dept doesn't allow 6.8, or 6.5 Grendel, or .308 win. I'm stuck with 5.56 or 7.62X39. Until Magpul/Bushmaster gets off their duff and starts making the Masada/ACR in 7.62X39 using AK mags, I'll be carrying a 5.56 AR.

The 6.8, and even more so the 6.5 Grendel, is one HECKUVA round. Most importantly, it is still small enough to fit in the package size of the standard M4. I like that. I personally do NOT want an AR-10. It's too big. It doesn't feel right. I would REALLY like a larger caliber than the 5.56, but it's just not in the cards for me unless I switch to an AK-47. But that's not happening, regardless how much I love those suckers!

**If anyone has either a Wilson Combat M4T or a KAC SR-15, please send me closeup pictures and a detailed description! Thanks!**
          Last edited by jwise; 02-13-2008, 02:50 AM.
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input JWise! Noveske it will be!

Comment

Can you have a rifle length gas system and run a 16 inch barrel? Or is 18 inches the minimum?

Thanks!

Comment

I've seen it done, but only recently. I think the manufacturer had to open up the gas port in order to get it to function correctly.

So it IS possible.
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

This was so good I'm posting so it will bump back to the top.

Thank jwise. I had narrowed by choice to RRA or S&W, mainly because of pricepoint (Smith has police pricing, not sure about RRA), and because I had little to no knowledge about many other brands (although I knew to avoid Olympic). You've helped build a base of knowledge and made me a more educated consumer. Thanks again.
                  "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

JWise,
                    If the rifle length gas system is best gas system, is it best to run it with a 16inch barrel? Or is it best to run the midlength? Is this something thats not very common? Thanks for all your help!
                    Last edited by js308; 02-19-2008, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks again for the info and personalizing it to individual questions too. I have a few accessory questions for you
                      1. Is there any AR set ups that are rifle/pistol caliber interchangable, like switching the upper in between 9mm and .223 (reliably)

2. Is there any advantage or worth buying a titanium firing pin?

Thanks...
                      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
                      -Daniel Silva

Comment

Originally posted by 135dB View Post
                        Thanks again for the info and personalizing it to individual questions too. I have a few accessory questions for you
                        1. Is there any AR set ups that are rifle/pistol caliber interchangable, like switching the upper in between 9mm and .223 (reliably)

Thanks...
                        I don't know about your first question, but I doubt it...

But your 2nd question... the only reason I can see to buying a titanium firing pin is if I had some extra money to throw away and it was going into a fully automatic rifle. But even then it's trivial. None of the auto's I've played with had titanium pins...**

** I'm not Jwise and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
                        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by js308 View Post
                          JWise,
                          If the rifle length gas system is best gas system, is it best to run it with a 16inch barrel? Or is it best to run the midlength? Is this something thats not very common? Thanks for all your help!
                          In my opinion, why would you want to run something meant for a rifle length weapon in something shorter? I would put a midlength in a short barrelled rifle and a rifle length gas system in a full sized weapon....

My .02 FWIW.
                          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
                            In my opinion, why would you want to run something meant for a rifle length weapon in something shorter? I would put a midlength in a short barrelled rifle and a rifle length gas system in a full sized weapon....

My .02 FWIW.

Thanks! The only thing I know about AR's are what im learning on this post. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by js308 View Post
                              JWise,
                              CMMG is the manufacturer who is now making a 16" with rifle length gas system. I talked to Jeff about it, and he stated he did not do anything different in order to get it to work reliably. I'm a little baffled, as the Dissipator by Bushmaster was based on this concept (rifle length handguards with a 16" barrel), but used the carbine length gas system UNDER the handguards. I always thought this was because the rifle wouldn't function with such a short barrel sticking out the end of the gas block.

Anyway, I guess now that this is an option (I hesitate to jump on it or recommend it until I've actually handled and shot one), the only real decision point for midlength and rifle length gas systems for 16" rifles is "looks." Both will have the desirable attributes that are lacking in the carbine length versions.

Carbines are VERY common. Midlengths are somewhat common, but still limited to only a small group of manufacturers. 16 inchers with rifle length gas systems are EXTREMELY rare, as only CMMG makes one, and I've never seen one.
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 135dB View Post

Thanks...
                                Rock River Arms makes an adaptor that fits in the magazine well of a standard AR-15 so a 9mm magazine will fit. You then swap the upper for a 9mm upper, and go to town. You will also have to buy a 9mm hammer and buffer, but these new pieces will work in your original 5.56 upper, so there's no need to swap these pieces each time you change uppers (just the first time.)

I've thought about a 9mm SBR with a suppressor, as that would be a fun gun, but I don't have any real desire for a 16" 9mm.

No. Titanium firing pins are gimmicky. I see no reason to switch.

I don't know how much a Ti firing pin costs, but if it's about $130, you would be better off getting a complete BCG from Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM), as it will give you all the advantages of the high-end stuff (proper staking, proper springs, proper shot peening and MP testing, etc..)

If it's not that much, but only around $60 or so, I would recommend getting a shot-peened, MP tested bolt. Keep it in your shooting box, and if your rifle stops working, just drop in the new bolt, as nearly all problems with these rifles are because of bolt issues (extractors, ejectors, broken lugs, etc...)

I keep a spare bolt in my chest rig. I've used it, once.
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6029 users online. 243 members and 5786 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X