300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
    I need a cheap nylon carry bag that will fit a few mags on the side and a mag in the well, cheapest I've found is $70, any other options out there?
    For cheap, go with UTG. For quality, stick with Assault Systems cases.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWA502-7.html

Went with that one..
      Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bighead View Post
        Double Post...here is something that is better than reading my post twice, and it's even related to AR-15s

What is that thing sticking off the side of her scope? Is that some kind of speed zoom control for the scope?

Comment

• This is a very useful site - thanks.

Hi all.
          I joined this forum because I have found this thread to be very useful over the past several months. I have been considering an AR type rifle for a while but was not sure how to proceed to get one that was worth while. The original page of this post, along with all of the reply posts have really shed a lot of light on this subject. It would also appear that some of the manufactures are taking some notice and making some improvements!

After reading this forum and deliberating over what it was that I really wanted I decided to go with CMMG. I like the way they easily let you customize your order and their prices still seem reasonable despite the craziness in the last several months. I am not planning on doing any professional law enforcement work with it so it will see mostly 100 yard use and some other shorter range playing around too. Because of this assumption, I went with a CMMG M-18R. The 18” barrel was my way of compromising on wanting rifle length with some mid length characteristics. I don’t know if I will notice any difference with an 18” rifle instead of a 16’ or shorter but I would like to think it will be a little better at 100+ yards? There has not been a lot of discussion on this forum of this barrel length as it probably is not that popular for police work, but I would love to hear from anyone who has one.
          I got only a few upgrades for reliability:
          Egress bolt, FA bolt/ polished ramps/ no carry handle/ flip up rear sight.

Now I would like to get some opinions on optical set ups. Since I was thinking more about 100yds at the range, but maintaining the ability for occasional short-range possibilities without stripping things off the top of the gun, I was thinking of getting the following:
          A scope of some sort, (not sure what yet, but I want to get a decent but reasonable one) and attaching it with the new Burris AR-PEPR sight mount when it is available. This mount is made with the AR in mind, and allows for a compact short-range sight like a fastfire to be placed on top. Any experience with a similar set up? Also, the center line for the scope will be around 1.5”off the top, so will I have trouble with a scope/ front sight at this height? Perhaps a GG&G optional rail would raise the height just enough and allow enough room for a scope setup and the flip up rear sight?

Thanks,
          BM1455

Comment

• Preferred Manufacturer of the 77gr OTM

Originally posted by jwise View Post
            The preferred round for a 1/9 twist 5.56 rifle is a 69gr BTHP (Boat Tail Hollow Point.)

The preferred round for a 1/7 twist 5.56 rifle is a 77gr OTM (Open Tip Match.)

You should be able to find either one of these easily online.

What you were told is a total crock. None of these are illegal.
            Is there a manufacturer of the 77gr OTM that you've found you prefer or have you found the performance for this all throughout all manufacturers to be the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by BM1455 View Post
              Hi all.
              I joined this forum because I have found this thread to be very useful over the past several months.
              Great to have you here. Make yourself at home!

I decided to go with CMMG. <SNIP> I am not planning on doing any professional law enforcement work with it so it will see mostly 100 yard use and some other shorter range playing around too. <SNIP> I went with a CMMG M-18R. The 18” barrel was my way of compromising on wanting rifle length with some mid length characteristics.
              That's a great rifle. You'll really like it.

Now I would like to get some opinions on optical set ups. Since I was thinking more about 100yds at the range, but maintaining the ability for occasional short-range possibilities without stripping things off the top of the gun, I was thinking of getting the following:
              A scope of some sort, (not sure what yet, but I want to get a decent but reasonable one) and attaching it with the new Burris AR-PEPR sight mount when it is available. This mount is made with the AR in mind, and allows for a compact short-range sight like a fastfire to be placed on top. Any experience with a similar set up?
              Instead of a typical scope with a Fastfire on top, I would recommend a 1-4X scope like the Burris XTR scope, or the Millet DMS-1. In the new mount that they are releasing, it will be a good economical setup. For someone who is going to take this rifle into harm's way, I would recommend a Meopta K-Dot (or S&B Short Dot) in a LaRue SPR-E mount.

Here's my setup:

At 100yds and in, the 4X is all you will need. By the way, once you get above 3X, you can't even see the front sight anymore, it just blurrs right out.
              J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• re-M-18R/ optics

Thanks for the scope info. I’m going to look into some of the products you mentioned. The prices aren’t cheap but I guess you get what you pay for. On the other hand, there are a lot of scopes that cost a whole lot more than those do.
                I am primarily going to use this rifle in our local clubs “military shoots”. There are some good marksmen there for a small local club so we’ll see how things go. Our range is limited to 100 yds, but the guest range goes out to 500 yds. Since we could go to both places, I was originally leaning towards a conventional scope with the Fast fire for close in defense without a lot of horsing around. (Hope/ probably I’ll never need that though but I want the ability)
                I like the rig you have - it looks to be around $800ish plus the mount? Would this (1-4X) be a bit short for the longer ranges? I was initially thinking of something in the 3-14X range before I saw your post.

What ever I do, I’m going to wait on the optics to see if I ever get this rifle. Just ordered it two weeks ago and with the back order situation at CMMG, who knows when it will show up….or if! I am an optimist, and I have a feeling that we will not see any ban at all. There are too many more important things to deal with and the number of job losses that would result in this kind of move would be a bad thing for any politician to be supporting now,- to say nothing of the folks that would be ticked off over the actual ban itself.
                Thanks,
                BM1455.

Comment

• Look into the club rules for the matches. You might need something specific.

As for pricing, don't get carried away. If you aren't taking it into harm's way, you can set your budget, then find something that fits. Go on over to the Optics forums at AR15.com or on SWFA's website (Opticstalk.com?) for good info on scopes.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Just ordered a complete lower from an Ohio company that seems to be a pretty decent deal and now have to save my cash for an upper reciever. I have been looking at CMMG ones as described here but they seem pretty well backordered. I wish I had 750 bucks as the place I bought my lower from has a Colt 6520 complete upper in stock right now, but I am 4 months away from that unfortunately.

Comment

• So, has anyone got to play with the new LaRue Tactical Stealth OSR .308 yet?
                      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
                      -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Man, this is the best thread evar for the AR15!
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Smurfette
                        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                        Originally posted by DAL
                        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

• Okay I just ordered mine.
                          In fact I just printed out the receipt just now.

What are they averaging on shipping time? Anyone know?

Because it is not here yet and I am getting impatient...... lol

CMMG 16" Mid-Length Upper (SKU/Part No: U-1605)
                          Options:
                          Receiver: A3
                          Bolt and Carrier: Full-Auto Carrier
                          Bolt and Carrier Group Upgrade: No Bolt Group Upgrade* (middy's don't need any upgrade)
                          Charging Handle Upgrade: No Charging Handle Upgrade
                          Feed Ramp Option: Anodized Ramps
                          Front Sight: A2 Post
                          Front Sight Base: F Marked Front Sight Base
                          Forward Assist Option: Round Forward Assist
                          Handguard Option: Standard Mid-Length Tapered Handguard*
                          Rear Sight Option: No Rear Sight*
                          Hider Option: A2 Hider*
                          "I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy." - unknown

Comment

• [imageload]
                            Last edited by cryhavoc; 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by daspy21 View Post
                              Okay I just ordered mine.
                              In fact I just printed out the receipt just now.

What are they averaging on shipping time? Anyone know?

Because it is not here yet and I am getting impatient...... lol

Congrats! I understand the impatience part...
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BM1455 View Post
                                Would this (1-4X) be a bit short for the longer ranges? I was initially thinking of something in the 3-14X range before I saw your post.
                                I alway thought a 4X would be useless for any long range. But we (Coast Guard airgunner) use a Schmit Bender 1.1-4X and accuratly shoot out to 600 yards, we have even shot out to 1000 yards with fairly good results. This is with an M14T EBR

I agree this thread is out standing info on AR's.
                                Attached Files

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8765 users online. 403 members and 8362 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X