300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
    The preferred round for a 1/9 twist 5.56 rifle is a 69gr BTHP (Boat Tail Hollow Point.)

The preferred round for a 1/7 twist 5.56 rifle is a 77gr OTM (Open Tip Match.)

You should be able to find either one of these easily online.

What you were told is a total crock. None of these are illegal.
    I'd like to find a reasonable (as in non-premium pricing) source for bullets in this weight range to use for reloading. The places I've found that sell reloading components generally stick to 50-55g bullets.
    Last edited by velobard; 01-25-2009, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• i guess it was kinda luck at this point but i was able to secure 500rnds of Wolf 75gr. for $160 (with free shipping). from ammoman.com....I haven't seen anything similar from them since it picked that up though...
      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
      -Daniel Silva

Comment

The preferred round for a 1/9 twist 5.56 rifle is a 69gr BTHP (Boat Tail Hollow Point.)

The preferred round for a 1/7 twist 5.56 rifle is a 77gr OTM (Open Tip Match.)

You should be able to find either one of these easily online.

What you were told is a total crock. None of these are illegal.
        What about in .223 for 1/7 twist? I've read 55g grain?

Should the grain for .223 & 1/7 twist be the same for target and self defense?

Comment

• Originally posted by WinterBoarder View Post
          What about in .223 for 1/7 twist? I've read 55g grain?

Should the grain for .223 & 1/7 twist be the same for target and self defense?
          What is true for 5.56 NATO is true for .223 rem. The heavier the bullet, the better it is for BOTH target shooting AND terminal ballistics.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Explorer528 View Post
            Jwise, this thread is impressive. I only have one question for you...what options do you have if your a southpaw??
            My old partner is a leftie, and was considering buying a STAG upper with the left-side eject before he got a department issued RRA. He says he doesn't even notice the RRA right-side ejection when he is firing. Also he realized that the Stag upper only gives him left-side eject & forward assist, not left-handed controls. Noveske also makes a left-side eject rifle.

Here are some other options you might consider:

Badger Ordinance Ambidextrous Charging Handle

Ambidextrous Safety. This one by DPMS is available at http://www.brownells.com

AMBI-CATCH from http://www.buffertech.com
            Last edited by Bighead; 02-10-2009, 02:20 AM.
            "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• Double Post...here is something that is better than reading my post twice, and it's even related to AR-15s

Last edited by Bighead; 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM.
              "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• Originally posted by Explorer528 View Post
                Jwise, this thread is impressive. I only have one question for you...what options do you have if your a southpaw??
                Sorry, I must have missed this post.

The short answer is not to worry too much about it. The shell deflector keeps the brass from hitting you in the face, and most lefties don't seem to be bothered much by the brass flying in front of your face. I have shot from the left shoulder quite a bit, and I was never bothered by the ejection.

The ambi controls are what are most important. An ambi safety selector is the MOST important, with mag catch right behind it. Lastly, you can get the ambi charging handle to finish it out.

I would not spend the money on a left-side eject rifle, unless you have already shot a standard model and HATED it.
                J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

The ambi controls are what are most important. An ambi safety selector is the MOST important, with mag catch right behind it. Lastly, you can get the ambi charging handle to finish it out.
                  I would venture to say that ambi controls aren't even necessary. Use your index finger to hit the safety. Use your right hand to hit the mag release on the way down to grab a new magazine. Reach around the mag well and hit the bolt release with your right hand. With practice, you can be almost just as fast as using the rifle right-handed.

If you truly want to be just as fast, then yes you will need to get ambi controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
                    I would venture to say that ambi controls aren't even necessary. Use your index finger to hit the safety. Use your right hand to hit the mag release on the way down to grab a new magazine. Reach around the mag well and hit the bolt release with your right hand. With practice, you can be almost just as fast as using the rifle right-handed.

If you truly want to be just as fast, then yes you will need to get ambi controls.
                    I shoot lefty and for the most part agree. i can perform every function on an AR pretty fast and accurate except closing the bolt. But i haven't upgraded to any ambi controls yet and I don't feel it's necessary for recreational shooting, but would it be a requirement for certain clubs or events?

I have a feeling i know the answer but is there such thing as an ambi bolt release?
                    -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
                    -Daniel Silva

Comment

• Originally posted by 135dB View Post
                      I have a feeling i know the answer but is there such thing as an ambi bolt release?
                      I've never seen one but it could be done much the same way they made the upper a lefty.
                      sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I have shot my Dad's standard Bushmaster before...no problems. I am not worried about the brass so much as controls. So thanks for all the advice and explanations!!
                        Dark and light shall merge to one, I cannot finish, what I haven't begun.

Originally posted by Monkeybomb
                        What pic are you looking at. Its a babbons @55

Comment

• Get the ambi mag relase and safety selector, I'm a lefty and I'm glad I got both of them. Norgon ambi mag relase is about ($72) with the Leo discount from brownells. There are many chioces for the ambi selector.

Comment

• I need a cheap nylon carry bag that will fit a few mags on the side and a mag in the well, cheapest I've found is $70, any other options out there?
                            Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bighead View Post
                              Double Post...here is something that is better than reading my post twice, and it's even related to AR-15s
                              I'll forgive her poor trigger finger discipline, only because she's hot!

Comment

• Originally posted by WinterBoarder View Post
                                I'll forgive her poor trigger finger discipline, only because she's hot!
                                I'll forgive it because she shoots better than me.

I have been called gay because I criticized a gun manufacturers models with poor weapon handling skills. Notice her finger is not on the trigger, just near it. I am willing to bet that with the rifle down in that position, and her finger indexed above the trigger, the photographer said it looked awkward and had her drop it down to a more natural position.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6693 users online. 351 members and 6342 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X