Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
    The Burris Iron Dot by LaRue: $349

Other than saving a few bucks, what if any would be the advantage of the LaRue over an EOTEC?
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I saw a mini red dot labeled by Sig at the shop for $189ish. Looked very much like the Aimpoint Micro. Anyone had any experience with these?

Comment

The Burris Iron Dot by LaRue: $349

How would you say this compares to the Bushnell Holosight?

Comment

• The Burris FastFire is smaller and lighter. That's pretty much it.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
            Other than saving a few bucks, what if any would be the advantage of the LaRue over an EOTEC?
            Eotechs have too many problems. If you talk to operators or instructors such as Pat Rogers at EAG Tactical http://www.eagtactical.com/ , who runs alot of testing and writes for SWAT magazine, he will tell you that the Eoturds (as he calls them) **** the bed all too often. I am an Aimpoint man myself... the T-1 is hard to beat.

You might also look at Leupold..they are offering a new Red Dot sight with etched glass... the only bad thing was a short battery life.

Comment

• You're paying a LOT for the LaRue QD mount ($150 for the mount!) You can get the FastFire with a picatinny base from Burris for only $195.
              J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• JWise- What is it that you don't like about the DPMS bolt?

Comment

• Ordered 2 CMMG complete lowers in November and got them in this week. Now I'm waiting on the 16" Upper from CMMG. Already got the Larue BUIS and 10 Pmags. I have ordered the EOTech 512, Magpul Stock, Handgrip, rail covers, and Larue Vertical grip.
                  Also in process of forming a Trust to get the SBR tax stamp and get a CMMG 11.5 upper.
                  Like a kid waiting for Christmas waiting for the 16" upper to get shipped.

Thank You JWise for all the info and advice. Your "Trust" thread helped out a great deal also.
                  Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

• Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
                    JWise- What is it that you don't like about the DPMS bolt?
                    It's not made well. For a more in-depth analysis, re-read page one.
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad519 View Post
                      Ordered 2 CMMG complete lowers in November and got them in this week. Now I'm waiting on the 16" Upper from CMMG. Already got the Larue BUIS and 10 Pmags. I have ordered the EOTech 512, Magpul Stock, Handgrip, rail covers, and Larue Vertical grip.
                      Also in process of forming a Trust to get the SBR tax stamp and get a CMMG 11.5 upper.

Thank You JWise for all the info and advice. Your "Trust" thread helped out a great deal also.
                      Sounds like you've done well! Glad I could have a small part in your success.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad519 View Post
                        Ordered 2 CMMG complete lowers in November and got them in this week. Now I'm waiting on the 16" Upper from CMMG. Already got the Larue BUIS and 10 Pmags. I have ordered the EOTech 512, Magpul Stock, Handgrip, rail covers, and Larue Vertical grip.

Jan 15, 2009 7:26PM This is crazy! Earlier I got a surprise shipment from DoubleStar of 20 LRPK’s.
                        Since I posted bad news about CMMG, I figured I might ought to see if these new LRPK’s were any different from the ones I tried on my friends lowers. So I called him over. We were both most pleasantly surprised to find that each and every bolt stop slipped into place the way it ought to from all 20 kits.

We were 100% satisfied that all the kits I received today were perfect and that what I said about CMMG being being out of spec should be TOTALLY IGNORED. Sometimes I am thrilled to prove myself wrong and this is one of those rare times.

After an experience a friend had I would recommend that you go ahead and try installing the lower parts kits in your lowers. Every one of his, the bolt catch slot on the lower was not milled wide enough by a minimum of 0.003-0.007", either preventing the bolt catch from going in the slot, or so tight the spring would not move it back to the release position. At this time he is debating whether or not to use a dremel or send them back to CMMG. We both got ours about the same time you say yours arrived. I checked mine and they're just barely ok.
                        Last edited by zeplin; 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM.
                        sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• What parts kit did you use?

Brad519 bought complete kits, so he has nothing to assemble.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• He had DPMS. I took over my last DPMS, some RRA's and Double Star. I also took my S&W M&P15, DPMS, RRA, CMMG, & Tactical Innovations Lowers.

First thing I did was to examine the one he had built. Everything looked fine until I checked the bolt catch. At first I thought maybe he had a drove the roll pin in cockeyed and had a burr. I pressed the roll pin out and thought I was going to have to pry the bolt catch out of the slot. It was that tight. That was when I got my mic out and did some measurements and compared them to the lowers I brought over.

The biggest difference was 0.009 if I remember correctly between his and mine. So we started opening up LRPK's and found the bolts catches from the kits went in the lowers I brought. They did not go into his CMMG lowers and if they did they were tight.

Told him to contact CMMG and not do anything to them... and if he did modify them I didn't want to know about it.
                            sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Hmmmm... That's the first I've heard about this. I've assembled stripped CMMG lowers in the past, and I've got one in my safe right now that's "virgin." I hate hearing that, especially since I am not sure if CMMG actually forges their own lowers, or gets them from the same shops that does everyone else does. (Few manufacturers actually forge their own aluminum receivers.)
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Hmmmm... That's the first I've heard about this. I've assembled stripped CMMG lowers in the past, and I've got one in my safe right now that's "virgin." I hate hearing that, especially since I am not sure if CMMG actually forges their own lowers, or gets them from the same shops that does everyone else does. (Few manufacturers actually forge their own aluminum receivers.)

The forgings are ok the best I can tell. The milling is what is critical for fit. I don't know if it is true for all, but some of the foundries do the milling and engraving before going to places like CMMG, S&W etc.

I'm checking everything that comes in. If quality is questionable it goes back. Fortunately I've only had to send back some LRPK's. After finding some forged parts that were useless junk, I randomly checked several more of the order and found a few more junk forgings. I documented and tagged these before returning. Got a full refund issued the same day they received the return order.
                                sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9782 users online. 467 members and 9315 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X