300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan 2009 American Rifleman pg 52

American Rifleman discovers staking of the gas key.

Article about the Charles Daly Defense D-M4LE

Caption reads, "The Charles Daly D-M4LE employs staking on the screws that affix the gas key to the carrier, which helps prevent them from working loose."
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
      No, but it looks like a 4oz difference with both, as the only difference is the weight of the barrel under the handguards.

They went with the heavier barrel with the SOCOM, because the M4A1 (as opposed to the M4) is a full-auto (the M4 only has 3-round burst.)

They figured the SOCOM guys could use the full-auto capability more appropriately than infantry, and they would be benefitted by the heavier barrel in sustained full-auto fire.
      Thanks - great information to know. The order is in and now the wait is on! Pix will be posted when it arrives!

Comment

• Can you guys tell me a little about lubricating (where, how much etc.) and what products you use. Read the manual, but still not sure. Thanks.

Comment

• The most important way to lubricate is to squirt a couple drops into the small vent holes on the bolt carrier through the ejection port. That puts oil right into the inner workings of the bolt/carrier, and gets "all in there" upon firing.

I'll devote some more attention to this after a while. I'll let others take over for right now.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• El Jefe himself, Pat Rogers....(all must fall prostrate, now!)

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Lub...rs-t19367.html
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by dave80 View Post
              Can you guys tell me a little about lubricating (where, how much etc.) and what products you use. Read the manual, but still not sure. Thanks.
              http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...p=0&t=1&i=1103

Comment

• Thanks Omega_556. I'm new to the AR, so I'm glad to hear your advice.

Comment

• Yup. As you're finding out, there's a HUGE difference between just having an AR to plink with versus a combat rifle.

I've got a tube of MD Labs XF7 lube that I use on all my firearms. A little dab 'll do ya!
                  NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by Omega_556
                    Answer to #3:
                    Example #3: While he is at least he pushes the barrel brush from the chamber to the muzzle, he then pulls the brush back from muzzle to chamber; BAD BAD BAD...
                    Yes and no.

What you need to prevent is REVERSING direction while the brush is in the barrel. You clean from the breech WITH A BORE GUIDE to protect both the throat and the crown. The guide keeps the rod from dragging on the throat. When the brush exits the bore COMPLETELY you can then gently pull it back through and the bristles will center the brush in the crown and allow it to come back through. If you take off the brush you are then letting the end of the rod drag as it goes back down the length of the barrel. Plus it will take twice as long to clean un-threading and re-threading the brush. Since the bursh is only used to knock crap loose and work the solvent it, it's not a big deal. Most of the trips down the bore and with patches.

There are different methods to clean rifles with different roles. My M4 gets cleaned whenever it has been fired with a coated rod or a otis cable. My Remington 700 only gets cleaned before long term storage or when accuracy drops off. If you only shoot a couple boxes of ammo through a precision rifle and clean it each time, you are never going to see the accuracy potential of your rifle. I didn't believe it until I got the "squeaky clean" rifle mentality out of my brain and left it dirty for awhile (just talking about the bore, not the action).

Each barrel manufacturer is going to have different suggestions on how to clean their barrel. Do what you want, but I will take the advice of the guys that are winning at High Power and F-Class.
                    Last edited by Blackdog F4i; 12-31-2008, 02:51 PM.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

• Pat's article is spot on.

When it comes to cleaning, I wipe all parts down with a rag soaked in CLP. This cleans the gunk off, while lubricating the parts. The inside of the upper receiver gets special attention, and I swab the chamber area (lugs) with a q-tip.

I wad up the rag (blue shop towel), and shove it into the bolt cavity of the bolt carrier, twisting it deep in there. I don't alway take off the extractor, but every so often I will.

I'll run a Bore Snake through the chamber/bore a couple times, and hit the chamber with a chamber brush usually after each shooting, or at least before I put it into short-term storage.

I hardly ever run a cleaning rod through the barrel, and if I do, it's usually just with a wet patch (bore cleaner.) I don't use bore brushes anymore. If I had a non-chromelined bore, my cleaning regimen would be different.

I lubricate with TW25 grease, as it doesn't burn off as quickly, nor dry out as soon. With a patrol rifle that sits in a hot trunk for at least a month at a time, I want to be sure my rifle is lubricated when/if I need it. Now that I'm no longer on the job, the rifle may sit in the safe for months before I take it out. When I do, I expect it to perform. With TW25, I wipe down the outside of the bolt carrier, and bolt with it. These are the "piston" parts that move back and forth, and those are the parts that should be well lubed.

As Pat said (and I mentioned in my first post on the subject above), after shooting for a while, I'll squirt a couple drops into the vent holes to keep it running. This puts the oil (CLP or Slip 2000) right into the inner workings of the bolt/carrier.
                      J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• 4 bolts

MFR unknown on one
                        Two from RRA
                        one from CMMG

Can you guess which is which?

Notice anything not quite right or unusual with any of them?

sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• The third from the left doesn't have hex head screws, but something else... Hmmm....
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                            4 bolts

Notice anything not quite right or unusual with any of them?
                            The 3rd one is staked on the along the longitudinal axis of the gas key.... That's pretty weird.... What up with that? Mfg?
                            The DA/SA handgun: A NAZI solution to a problem that didn't exist!

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              The third from the left doesn't have hex head screws, but something else... Hmmm....
                              Uh... made me go back and look. It's just poor photography skills. They all have hex screws.
                              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                                Uh... made me go back and look. It's just poor photography skills. They all have hex screws.
                                Ok, then that same one has simple dimples on top along its axis instead of being dimpled from the sides.

The first one on the left has pretty weak staking. It'll probably hold, but it looks like my Bushmasters, or like a DPMS.

Which is which?
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10301 users online. 462 members and 9839 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X