X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get one?

Comment

• does she give private lessons
      -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
      -Daniel Silva

Comment

• whoa! this was on the second page! not good people!
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Jwise, I am trying to order an upper receiver before it gets to late. On the CMMG website they have the 16" mid length upper and the M4 upper. Which one do you recommend? How much accuracy will be lost going from the full 16" barrel to the 14.5" barrel? And my last question, I saw that Bushmaster makes a AR chambered in 6.8. They call them, Bushmaster 6.8mm SPC Rifles, are these accurate, reliable, comparable to the 5.56 CMMG?
          Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoc607 View Post
            Jwise, I am trying to order an upper receiver before it gets to late. On the CMMG website they have the 16" mid length upper and the M4 upper. Which one do you recommend? How much accuracy will be lost going from the full 16" barrel to the 14.5" barrel? And my last question, I saw that Bushmaster makes a AR chambered in 6.8. They call them, Bushmaster 6.8mm SPC Rifles, are these accurate, reliable, comparable to the 5.56 CMMG?
            Thanks in advance.
            I'm pretty sure you can just buy a 6.8 upper and use a standard AR 15 lower. The mag well is the same size. <just FYI>

Comment

• Originally posted by shoc607 View Post
              Jwise, I am trying to order an upper receiver before it gets to late. On the CMMG website they have the 16" mid length upper and the M4 upper. Which one do you recommend? How much accuracy will be lost going from the full 16" barrel to the 14.5" barrel? And my last question, I saw that Bushmaster makes a AR chambered in 6.8. They call them, Bushmaster 6.8mm SPC Rifles, are these accurate, reliable, comparable to the 5.56 CMMG?
              Thanks in advance.
              16" vs. 14.5" gives up about 75fps of velocity, and nothing in accuracy. Both the Midlength AND M4 uppers can be had in either barrel length. I recommend 16", because I like threaded flash hiders, not permanently welded on.

Nearly everyone is offering a rifle in 6.8 SPC these days. The round is an excellent cartridge, and offers a lot over 5.56, EXCEPT compatibility with all accessories, mags, ballistic scopes, and surplus ammo.

To learn more, google "6.8 SPC" and see what all turns up.
              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                offers a lot over 5.56, EXCEPT compatibility with all accessories, mags, ballistic scopes, and surplus ammo.

To learn more, google "6.8 SPC" and see what all turns up.
                Am I right though, does it mount to a 5.56 lower? And will the mag well accept 6.8 mags? Guess I should know before I order one

Comment

• Originally posted by AI_guy View Post
                  Am I right though, does it mount to a 5.56 lower? And will the mag well accept 6.8 mags? Guess I should know before I order one
                  Yes. You can use a 5.56 lower receiver with a 6.8 upper. At first, it was believed that the 6.8 would feed in regular 5.56 mags, but that has been debunked. Even with a new follower, they are not reliable. But the 6.8 mags look very similar, and fit in the 5.56 lower.
                  J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• SBR and silencer configuration

I have learned a great deal from this thread and I thank jwise and all those who have contributed. I am planning to assemble an AR15 short barrel rifle using an upper and a lower from CMMG. From the reports on this thread and others it appears that ordering the parts will result in a rifle faster than buying a complete rifle. I am a fairly skilled mechanic, electrician, and carpenter. However, I have never assembled or even owned a rifle and could use some guidance. The SBR will have the AAC M4-2000 silencer. If everyone will please indulge a beginner I’d like to ask a few questions.

Part 1 – Configuration:
                    Lower
                    CMMG Semi-Auto Lower Receiver w/Internals and Stock, SKU Number:L003 ( http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...425009&cat=57& )
                    Buttstock – MP-CTR
                    Buffer – H3 buffer
                    Endplate Adapter - Standard
                    Pistol Grip – TG-BG-16 Battlegrip
                    Trigger Upgrades - None
                    Hammer/Trigger Pin Upgrade – KNS Gen 2
                    Selector Upgrade - None
                    Trigger Guard Upgrade – MP Winter
                    Pivot Pin Upgrade – None
                    Gapper Upgrade - None
                    Accuwedge Upgrade – None

Upper
                    CMMG 11.5 Government Profile Upper, SKU Number: U-115 (http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...425009&cat=72& )
                    Receiver – A3
                    Bolt and Carrier Group – Full Auto
                    Bolt and Carrier Group Upgrade – E.G.R.E.S.S
                    Charging Handle Upgrade – PRI Gas Buster
                    Feed Ramp Option – extended/polished (can’t hurt)
                    Sight Post Option – A2
                    Front Sight Base/Gas Block Option – F marked
                    Forward Assist Option - round
                    Handguard Option – No handguard
                    Rear Sight Option - none
                    Hider Option – none

1) When buying a complete rifle from CMMG there is an option for a KNS Sear Anti-Rotation Pin. There is no such option when buying the upper and lower separately. Why?
                    2) My goal is to enhance reliability in a suppressed SBR. That is why I added the EGRESS and the H3 buffer. The polished feed ramp and KNS gen 2 hammer/trigger pin may or may not help, but they are cheap, so why not? The PRI Gas buster is not cheap. Will this help with reliability?
                    3) I plan to buy the Troy MRF-C Handguard. Is 7” a good length for this upper? Would a 9” even fit?
                    4) Is this a reasonable configuration for an SBR given the goal for improved reliability with the AAC suppressor? Are there any obvious problems?

Part 2 – The Law and logistics
                    1) The lower ships to an FFL. The upper ships to me. When in the process do I file Form 1? I would think after receiving the lower (need the serial number) but before taking delivery of the upper.
                    2) How do I fill in overall length without an assembled rifle (question 4f of Form 1)? Is an estimate OK? Does someone here have an estimate?
                    3) What should I answer for question 4h (additional information)? If it makes a difference, I will be using a Trust.
                    4) Historically, is it the lowers that were banned by the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban? In other words, can I order the lower now and still be able to order an upper later if a new ban is put in place? Assuming, of course, that any new ban would be similar to the 1994 ban. I ask because of the question raised by shoc607 in post #726.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdog1 View Post
                      1) When buying a complete rifle from CMMG there is an option for a KNS Sear Anti-Rotation Pin. There is no such option when buying the upper and lower separately. Why?
                      You already selected this option above, when you selected the Gen II KNS pins.

2) My goal is to enhance reliability in a suppressed SBR. That is why I added the EGRESS and the H3 buffer. The polished feed ramp and KNS gen 2 hammer/trigger pin may or may not help, but they are cheap, so why not? The PRI Gas buster is not cheap. Will this help with reliability?
                      The EGRESS is good, the polished ramps are good, and the KNS pins will protect the lower from degradation of the pin holes. The H3 buffer should help, but the Gas Buster is not for reliability. It is to keep all the gases that build up from suppressed shooting from blowing back into your face. It is well worth it if you plan to shoot suppressed.

3) I plan to buy the Troy MRF-C Handguard. Is 7” a good length for this upper? Would a 9” even fit?
                      The 7" is for Carbine length rifles, the 9" is for Midlength rifles. No, the 9" won't fit.

4) Is this a reasonable configuration for an SBR given the goal for improved reliability with the AAC suppressor? Are there any obvious problems?
                      It looks good!

Part 2 – The Law and logistics
                      1) The lower ships to an FFL. The upper ships to me. When in the process do I file Form 1? I would think after receiving the lower (need the serial number) but before taking delivery of the upper.
                      Re-read the NFA Trust thread (link below) for more info, but in short, you will send off the Form 1 after you receive the lower back from being engraved. After you get it from the FFL, you'll need to send it off to be engraved (name of trust, city/state.) This is what goes in 4H. Once you have the lower engraved, send off the Form 1 to be approved.

Possessing both a short barreled upper, AND a lower receiver (not already SBR'd), you are in constructive possession of an unregistered SBR. I'm not sure what you're SUPPOSED to do, but I would publicly recommend you leave the upper at a friend's house until the lower is registered.

2) How do I fill in overall length without an assembled rifle (question 4f of Form 1)? Is an estimate OK? Does someone here have an estimate?
                      Officially, you need the exact length. I didn't know the exact length of mine. I don't think anyone really cares.

3) What should I answer for question 4h (additional information)? If it makes a difference, I will be using a Trust.
                      Name of Trust, City, State.

4) Historically, is it the lowers that were banned by the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban? In other words, can I order the lower now and still be able to order an upper later if a new ban is put in place? Assuming, of course, that any new ban would be similar to the 1994 ban. I ask because of the question raised by shoc607 in post #726.
                      Once you have the lower, you're good. Uppers could be bought new during the ban, they just couldn't be attached to "post-ban" lowers (only pre-ban.)
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Omega_556
                        I don't see why CMMG couldn't give you the exact overall length as you are using all of their components. Give them a call, they probably already have this information on record.
                        They def. should be able to help you w/ that. They are usually very helpful
                        Last edited by Bill79; 12-29-2008, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Hey folks,

Long time listener, first time poster. This thread has been an incredible wealth of information - thanks to jwise and others who have contributed.

I am spec'ing out a CMMG for personal self defense and range use. I'd really appreciate a sanity check to make sure that this configuration makes sense. This will be my first AR-15.

Upper: CMMG 16" M4 A1 SOCOM Upper (SKU Number: U-1604A1)
                          Receiver: A3
                          Bolt and Carrier Group: Semi-Auto Carrier (see note below on self defense)
                          Bolt and Carrier Group Upgrade: E.G.R.E.S.S Bolt Upgrade
                          Charging Handle Upgrade: No Charging Handle Upgrade
                          Feed Ramp Option: Extended/Polished Ramps
                          Sight Post Option: A2 Post
                          Front Sight Base/Gas Block Option: F Marked Front Sight Base
                          Forward Assist Option: Round Forward Assist
                          Handguard Option: M4 Handguard-Single Heat Shield (these will be replaced with the Daniel Defense Omega Rail 7.0)
                          Rear Sight Option: Detachable Carry Handle (I'll eventually get some real optics and BUIS, but since this is my first AR-15, I thought I'd stick with the basics)
                          Hider Option: A2 Hider

Lower: CMMG Semi-Auto Lower Receiver w/Internals and Stock (SKU Number: L003)
                          Buttstock: MP-CTR CTR
                          Buffer: Standard Buffer
                          Endplate Adapter: Standard Endplate
                          Pistol Grip: CAA-G27 G27 Tactical
                          Trigger Upgrades: None (see note below on self defense)
                          Hammer/Trigger Pin Upgrade: None (see note below on self defense)
                          Selector Upgrade: CMMG Ambi Selector
                          Trigger Guard Upgrade: Magpul Winter Trigger Guard
                          Pivot Pin Upgrade: None
                          Gapper Upgrade: Yes
                          Accuwedge Upgrade: Yes

If this looks functional (or, more importantly, if it doesn't look functional), please feel free to comment. My first order will be to change the rails to the Daniel Defense Omega Rail 7.0. I like the fact that these rails do not require any firearm modifications. Down the road, I'll add some real optics and BUIS, but since this will be my first AR-15, I figure I'd learn with the basics.

I was thinking of going with the Semi-Auto Carrier despite all of the recommendations towards the Full-Auto Carrier. I made this decision based on a different legal aspect: criminal and civil self defense court cases. There seems to be a lot of confusion within the firearms community on whether or not this is legal (I believe it is legal), but what about the average juror who sits on a criminal or civil court case? I figure the Attorney General would have a field day with a self defense case where not only an "assault weapon" was used (I hate that anti-gun term), but one with specifically called out Full-Auto parts. For this same reason, I'm thinking of going with the stock trigger and hammer/trigger pins, though you could probably justify these upgrades as ones that help you you shoot more accurately and prevent any non-badguys from getting shot. I know there's another thread on the Full-Auto vs. Semi-Auto Carriers, so I'll post this information there also.

Thanks again for this thread and information, I appreciate your comments.

Steve
                          Last edited by WinterBoarder; 12-30-2008, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WinterBoarder View Post
                            Hey folks,

Long time listener, first time poster. This thread has been an incredible wealth of information - thanks to jwise and others who have contributed.

I am spec'ing out a CMMG for personal self defense and range use. I'd really appreciate a sanity check to make sure that this configuration makes sense. This will be my first AR-15.

Upper: CMMG 16" M4 A1 SOCOM Upper (SKU Number: U-1604A1)
                            Sounds good. You realize the M4A1 SOCOM upper has the slightly heavier barrel, right? It's not a problem if that's what you want, but if you wanted a lighter package, the standard M4 upper would be the one.

It sounds like you've picked out a nice rifle. You'll be pleased...
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              Sounds good. You realize the M4A1 SOCOM upper has the slightly heavier barrel, right? It's not a problem if that's what you want, but if you wanted a lighter package, the standard M4 upper would be the one.

It sounds like you've picked out a nice rifle. You'll be pleased...
                              Thanks for your help - I didn't realize about the barrel weight difference. I found these weights for the 14.5, would you happen to know the weights for a 16?

M4 (14.5") 1lb 9oz
                              M4A1 (14.5") 1lb 13oz

Comment

• No, but it looks like a 4oz difference with both, as the only difference is the weight of the barrel under the handguards.

They went with the heavier barrel with the SOCOM, because the M4A1 (as opposed to the M4) is a full-auto (the M4 only has 3-round burst.)

They figured the SOCOM guys could use the full-auto capability more appropriately than infantry, and they would be benefitted by the heavier barrel in sustained full-auto fire.
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7951 users online. 441 members and 7510 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X