Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DSA is just a ZM-300. If that's what you like, ok. But I consider it a "boutique" rifle, and not the same as an M4.

I would not buy a DPMS.

Welcome to the Forum. You know what I recommend...
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• I just handled the new YHM AR-15. YHM stands for Yankee Hill Machine, and they've been making AR accessories for a while now, in addition to a full suppressor lineup.

The rifle was $1450, but that may be markup due to the current "climate."

It had a midlength rail that went out over a low-profile gas block. It came with front and rear flip sights. The barrel sported a really unusual fluting, and it came with a good YHM flash hider.

It did not have extended feedramps, and the gas key staking was the "cuts" across the bolt heads, like CMMG used to do it before they switched to the Colt style staking (crimping the bolt heads from both sides.)

The bolt carrier was fully shrouded, and it otherwise looked decent. I did not care for the giant railed forearm that YHM is known for (I prefer the smaller rails.)

------------------------------------------------------

I also had a chance to look at (not touch) the new CMMG gas piston rifle. It had a railed forearm, and sold for $1259. I say it "sold" for that price because that is also the reason I didn't get to take a look at its guts. It was being purchased when I walked into the shop.

I look forward to seeing another, so I can have a better look at it.
      J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Jwise, you just inspired me to start saving up to buy a CMMG upper. I will probably PM you in the upcoming weeks to ask a few questions if that will be alright with you.

Comment

• if you were to buy a CMMG Complete upper with SS barrel which one would you buy and what options would you get with it?

Thanks for the help. I am making a list. Checking it twice and Narrowing it down.
          "I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy." - unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by daspy21 View Post
            if you were to buy a CMMG Complete upper with SS barrel which one would you buy and what options would you get with it?

Thanks for the help. I am making a list. Checking it twice and Narrowing it down.
            The same as I'd get if it were a chrome-lined steel barrel.

Except this one has a stainless barrel, so its SKU number is: U-SST1605M

I found a Rock River upper with a Wilson stainless 1/8 twist barrel for a good price not too long ago, and it is basically the same thing.

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• so you don't have problems getting a stainless?

cool

now one final question.

Lets say you can have a free upper.
              which one would you choose?

U-SST1605M
              or
              U-1605

and the reason why.

Sorry for all the questions. I am just about narrowed down.

Comment

• Believe it or not, I don't have all the part numbers memorized. A little help, please.

(I'm studying for my last final tomorrow, and don't have tons of time to search.)
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• the upper of your "my pick" and the stainles that you just gave me the part number to. Which one would you choose?

Just got a 96% and a 90% on my finals

Comment

• Congrats! In law school, they don't tell us until January. It seems grading lengthy written exam answers takes a while...

Which would I choose? It depends...

Which do you value more, light weight or superior accuracy? We're talking about splitting hairs, here. No really, HAIRS!

A chrome-lined barrel will shoot JUST fine for any tactical application.

HOWEVER, if you are a shooter who LOVES to shoot at itty-bitty targets from a long distance away, and you will only have this one rifle, it MAY be worth it to you to pay the extra $50 or so and bear the additional weight (the difference between a gov't profile and the Medcon.) Stainless barrels aren't offered in "Gov't Profile," as that would defeat the point...
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Cool thanks.
                      I just got my pick.
                      I am not the sharpest shooter in the world. I need all the help I can get. and I need something dependable and extra sturdy.

So I guess I will go for stainless. It is just an extra $50

Again Thanks you.

I made a list. I checked it twice. I got everything I want for a price that is cheaper than most of the other ARs with the same options. Come January I will post up pics of my first AR.

Edited to say:
                      nevermind. I now just decided that I am still undecided.
                      If it is really "hairs" at long distances.... then is it really worth the extra $50?
                      Besides, I do not want something shiny as a stainless steel barrel when I am trying to get all "tactical" and stuff.

so when I do order it in beginning of January and I am still undecided, I will have to decide with inny minny miny moe
                      Last edited by daspy21; 12-19-2008, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by daspy21 View Post
                        Cool thanks.
                        I just got my pick.
                        I am not the sharpest shooter in the world. I need all the help I can get. and I need something dependable and extra sturdy.

So I guess I will go for stainless. It is just an extra $50

Again Thanks you.

I made a list. I checked it twice. I got everything I want for a price that is cheaper than most of the other ARs with the same options. Come January I will post up pics of my first AR.

Edited to say:
                        nevermind. I now just decided that I am still undecided.
                        If it is really "hairs" at long distances.... then is it really worth the extra $50?
                        Besides, I do not want something shiny as a stainless steel barrel when I am trying to get all "tactical" and stuff.

so when I do order it in beginning of January and I am still undecided, I will have to decide with inny minny miny moe
                        If you are not a great shot then the slight accuracy advantage of a stainless steel barrel will not help you. It is such a slight difference that you won't be able to notice unless you are already shooting extremely tight groups. Personally, being poor, I would go for the chrome-lined barrel as it is such a negligible difference that I'd prefer to have another $50 of ammo.

Comment

• Well I just picked up my Colt LE6920. This thread did helped me a lot. Now I'm looking for a nice gun case and some other toys for this future patrol rifle. I did sign up for a training with the local county dept. What other things (light, optics etc.) would you guys recommend for a patrol rifle.

Comment

• Feanor is spot-on. If you aren't already very good with a rifle, you won't even notice the accuracy gain you will be paying for.

As for what to buy next, I recommend an Assault Systems carrying case (36"), a sling, an optic, and a light.

I've already been over all these options, but if you want more ideas, you might want to start a new thread addressing just these specific issues. You'll get a lot of good responses from various people.
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Bump

Bump to keep this awesome thread at the top, and a little something to keep my post interesting.

Last edited by Bighead; 12-24-2008, 02:36 AM.
                              "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• The Shooter:

What she's doing right: It appears she is wearing ear protection, in addition to eye protection. Her elbows are down, and are mostly "pinned in." Perhaps they are as pinned in as her frame will allow?

What she's doing wrong: It appears her weight is over her rear leg, and she would fall over given a strong enough breeze. While this position accentuates the "feminine" aspects of the picture, a more aggressive stance would be more beneficial to her shooting.

The dude squatting in the background:

What he's doing right: He has his weapon grounded and is also wearing eye and ear protection.

What he's doing wrong: There is a gorgeous babe exposing large parts of her svelt feminine body right in front of him, and he is looking at her target!? That's just wrong...
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6591 users online. 345 members and 6246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X