300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phoenixdown View Post
    Bustin' my balls here man, you're getting me into an expensive hobby.
    Ahhhh... but a good hobby. I jumped in head first and my wife who is usually not happy with what I do is actually participating and not one hint of a complaint. It can't get much better than that... unless you include my 3yo enjoying watching dada put things together then let him handle a new setup when I'm done.
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I'm a 1st time poster, but have been browsing this forum for awhile. I have been wanting to get a "black rifle" for a LONG time, but just recently found this thread, and it has been hugely helpful! Thanks one and all for the wealth of information!

I'm looking for an M-4 type rifle. Basically, I would like to make one as close as legally possible to my M-4 I carry in the service. However, after reading this thread, I think I am leaning towards the "mid length" rifle. But I had a couple questions.....

Per federal law, the barrel length must be 16 or more inches... So the AR-15 in M-4 configuration will be a 14.5" barrel with a fixed 1.5" compensator, (overall length 16"). And the mid length rifle is a 16" barrel. So am I correct in believing that the basic cosmetic difference is the placement of the front sight post....(Mid length barrel will have a longer hand guard and shorter protruding barrel, and the M-4 will be visa versa....) Does anyone have a picture of an M-4 side by side with a midlength?

I'm looking for a good tactical rifle, but also a decent bench rifle, and for that reason am thinking of the MedCon barrel, good choice or no?

Lastly...is the mid length the only rifle that will fit a bayonet, (due to the distance from compensator to bayonet lug...)

Thanks again,

IJ
      Last edited by IrishJoe; 12-15-2008, 04:33 AM.
      sigpic

In Memory
      Officer J. Sanders
      EOW 12-15-2008

Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

Comment

• The M4 with a 14.5" barrel, the Midlength with 16" barrel, and the rifle with 20" barrel will all fit a bayonet.

The 16" Carbine (M4gery) will NOT fit a bayonet.

You are correct. The Middly is just an elongated M4, so the barrel protruding from a 16" middly is less than the barrel protruding from a 16" Carbine, and will have longer handguards than the Carbine.

Handguards:

Carbine: 7"
        Midlength: 9"
        Rifle: 12"

The Medcon barrel will be good if you value accuracy (sustained accuracy after a mag-full of ammo) over weight.

WELCOME!
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
          The M4 with a 14.5" barrel, the Midlength with 16" barrel, and the rifle with 20" barrel will all fit a bayonet.

The 16" Carbine (M4gery) will NOT fit a bayonet.

You are correct. The Middly is just an elongated M4, so the barrel protruding from a 16" middly is less than the barrel protruding from a 16" Carbine, and will have longer handguards than the Carbine.

Handguards:

Carbine: 7"
          Midlength: 9"
          Rifle: 12"

The Medcon barrel will be good if you value accuracy (sustained accuracy after a mag-full of ammo) over weight.

WELCOME!

Excellent, thank you sir!

Last edited by IrishJoe; 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM.
          sigpic

In Memory
          Officer J. Sanders
          EOW 12-15-2008

Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

Comment

• I am new to the AR world. I just recently received a CMMGM4LE. The barrel is stamped CMMG WASP 5.56 NATO 1/9. Can anybody tell me if this was a good buy? My wife gave it to me for Christmas, early. It has a 16" barrel, flip-up rear sight, and 5-position stock.

DSC02666.jpg

Comment

• Get your wife anything she wants for Christmas! You got a keeper!

Damn, I'm jealous....
              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by 130Nav View Post
                I am new to the AR world. I just recently received a CMMGM4LE. The barrel is stamped CMMG WASP 5.56 NATO 1/9. Can anybody tell me if this was a good buy? My wife gave it to me for Christmas, early. It has a 16" barrel, flip-up rear sight, and 5-position stock.

[ATTACH]3304[/ATTACH]
                Sweet! Now all you need is more mags and ammo. Well, and optics, and a sling, and .....well you get the picture. It can be an expensive hobby.

I agree, get your wife whatever she wants!

Comment

• Originally posted by 130Nav View Post
                  I am new to the AR world. I just recently received a CMMGM4LE. The barrel is stamped CMMG WASP 5.56 NATO 1/9. Can anybody tell me if this was a good buy? My wife gave it to me for Christmas, early. It has a 16" barrel, flip-up rear sight, and 5-position stock.

[ATTACH]3304[/ATTACH]
                  Congratulations on a great choice in wife and her great choice in an excellent piece of hardware for you!!!... and most definitely get her whatever she wants for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the mail hadn't delivered my new CAA 6pos stock today, my CMMG would still look just like yours. Waiting for flipup front now.
                  sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Great Thread!

JWISE,

This is a great thread! It helped a lot in my decision to buy a new AR. I ended up buying a used rifle from our SWAT Doc, kind of a souped-up Colt competition target HBAR II. I'm waiting for UPS to arrive with my new quad rail.

Thanks for the all the useful information!

Rifle.jpg

Comment

• Looks good! I'm glad it has helped.
                      J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• With my recent gift, I have talked to a friend who stated he was going to get a 22 upper for his. What would be the difference with a whole upper compared to a conversion kit?

I was thinking of getting a conversion kit because I have four teenage boys and I would like for them to shot the AR as much as possible but I am looking at the cost of Ammo.

Comment

• The complete upper will have a barrel that is tuned for the .22lr (Twist rate of 1/16, vs. the 1/7 or 1/9 most ARs come with.)

This means that you won't be able to expect superb accuracy out of a conversion kit. This isn't a big deal if you're just shooting cans, squirrels, or 'running and gunning' on a combat course of fire. However, if you're just laying the rifle across a rest, and shooting a target at 100yds, you will be disappointed.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• JWise,

You are full of information.

Do you happen to know the cost of a complete .22lr upper would be?

If the cost is the same as a 5.56 upper than it might not be wise for me to build a complete .22lr for me boys. Like I stated before, I am looking at the cost of ammo, but I want my sons to shot as much ammo as they want.

Comment

• It's about the same: $450 or so.

EDIT- I just googled it really quick, and saw anywhere from $525-750. Hmmm... They've gone up!
                              Last edited by jwise; 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM.
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• I have been following this topic and have learned an incredible amount from it. I have come down to two AR-15's. A NEW DPMS with the M4 ramps that are entended, chrome chamber and barrel, staking, h buffer but no f stamp ect. The other option is a DSA or DS Arms ZM4 with a stainless barrel and chamber that has a flat top rail and a fixed front sight, m4 ramps that are extended. staking but i need to buy a rear sight for $40 or some kind of optic. The DSA is about $300 more but seems to be of a lot better quality. Can you recommend the DSA brand? Both are new in the box.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11182 users online. 485 members and 10697 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X