300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish4life View Post
    Also, will this rifle be legal under since its under 16 inches? What hider would make it legal?
    jwise probably went through the process and paid $200 for the tax stamp for a Short-Barrelled Rifle. Then he would've had to pay another $200 for a second tax stamp for the suppressor on the end (which he said is an AAC M4-2000).

Now, if you don't want to spend the extra $200, it is possible to get a short barrel and permanently attach a ~6" flash hider or fake suppressor to make it legal without the tax stamp. But personally I think this is pointless and you are better off just getting a longer barrel if you aren't able to spend the extra cash for the SBR.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish4life View Post
      Thanks!

What options on the upper?
      You will need to read the thread again, as I have addressed every issue. If you still don't understand, that's normal. Read it again.

After you have come to understand the details, you need to decide for yourself. That's the whole point.

I believe I have answered this exact question about five times throughout the 20-some odd pages of this thread.

I promise to pick all the options, and put them in the first couple pages of this thread where it will fit, so you don't have to read all 20-some pages from now on.

BTW- I've contacted CMMG about letting me put together a "jwise" package, but they have been silent so far...
      Last edited by jwise; 12-12-2008, 11:18 AM.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
        jwise probably went through the process and paid $200 for the tax stamp for a Short-Barrelled Rifle. Then he would've had to pay another $200 for a second tax stamp for the suppressor on the end (which he said is an AAC M4-2000).

Now, if you don't want to spend the extra $200, it is possible to get a short barrel and permanently attach a ~6" flash hider or fake suppressor to make it legal without the tax stamp. But personally I think this is pointless and you are better off just getting a longer barrel if you aren't able to spend the extra cash for the SBR.
        This information is correct. $200 tax for the SBR, and $200 tax for the suppressor.

If you want to learn how to do this, read my "NFA Trusts" thread that is linked to in my signature. You will also have to check your local laws, as some states outlaw certain NFA firearms.

Notice this configuration is NOT one of the ones I recommend. Please take note of this.
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenixdown View Post
          Question on forearm rails!

I'm looking at getting an AR, and mounting an eotech 512 with the flip to side magnifier, and of course a BUIS. Does the A3 upper have enough rail to mount this on, or am I going to need a railed forearm?

EDIT: and another question!

Does the A2 stock have any accuracy points or bonuses as compared to the normal collapsible stock?
          This is what it will look like with the 3X magnifier:

It fits, but the front of the EOTech will hang out over the handguards.

The EOTech 557 will be the one you will want, as it has the on/off buttons on the side so you can get to them. In addition, it has a smaller reticle that will work better with a magnified optic.
          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenixdown
            Does the A2 stock have any accuracy points or bonuses as compared to the normal collapsible stock?
            Yes, it is better for target shooting. It is pitiful for action shooting. You will want either the fixed A1 stock, or the Sully stock, if you want a shorter fixed stock that will allow you to "square-up" on a target.

If this is just for benchrest shooting, or otherwise static shooting, the A2 stock is preferable. It was designed by the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) for this very purpose.
            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Confused but getting there

Great thread. This is my second time having read through it after being given the link by a SWAT friend of mine. I'll be purchasing an upper and lower from CMMG to build a self defense AR15. This has save me a lot of grief as i was originally looking at the Oly Arms. and Bushy as a platform. Mine AR15 will be a 16". Will post pics when it is all assembled. Thanks Jwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSalt View Post
                Great thread. This is my second time having read through it after being given the link by a SWAT friend of mine. I'll be purchasing an upper and lower from CMMG to build a self defense AR15. This has save me a lot of grief as i was originally looking at the Oly Arms. and Bushy as a platform. Mine AR15 will be a 16". Will post pics when it is all assembled. Thanks Jwise.
                I'm very glad it has helped. You're most welcome.
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                  This is what it will look like with the 3X magnifier:

It fits, but the front of the EOTech will hang out over the handguards.

The EOTech 557 will be the one you will want, as it has the on/off buttons on the side so you can get to them. In addition, it has a smaller reticle that will work better with a magnified optic.
                  Yeah, but I mean with the regular tapered forearm. It seems to rise a tiny bit above the rail, which means you couldn't 'hang' the Eotech off the front, so you'd need some kind of aftermarket forearm, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenixdown View Post
                    Yeah, but I mean with the regular tapered forearm. It seems to rise a tiny bit above the rail, which means you couldn't 'hang' the Eotech off the front, so you'd need some kind of aftermarket forearm, correct?
                    yeah mine is set as far forward as possible i have not purchased the rail system for it..with your proposed setup, it wouldn't work..now most of the rails are a bit lower profile just forward of where the hand guard ring is, so itd probably work, i was assuming regular hand guards, my bad.
                    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

• This riser for the flat-top receiver is under the accessories tab at CMMG for $44.95 (much cheaper than a railed handguard).
                      I would think this would allow you EOTech to clear the standard handguard.

I'm not sure how the use of this riser would affect iron sights, if someone could please speak to that.

"A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• Get some CAR handguards, and the EOTech should fit over it just fine. They are smaller than the M4 handguards. You should be able to get them for less than $20 anywhere.

Here's a picture of a 512 forward mounted over M4 handguards, and using the LaRue riser. This is the other option.

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• This is the rail:

Another mount designed by request. Our EO mount jacks the EO up by .275". This extra height sticks the irons low in the EO window...you can still see the irons if push-comes-to-shove. These are selling like candy. The extra height is just what the EO has been needing. The design had room for a piece-of-picatinny on the back, so we put it there and now you can mount a PVS-14 in perfect co-witness.

From a review of the product:

With the "Low" LT Aimpoint 3x multiplier I can simply use the magnifier mount on the EOtech ECOS mount. Both optics are perfectly co-located with each other.

Price: $120 (Hey, it's LaRue!)
                          Last edited by jwise; 12-12-2008, 07:55 AM.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• CAR Handguards:

CAR handguards were the original handguards sold on the early CAR-15 by Colt. Colt switched to the fatter, oval shaped handguards when they developed the M4, which is why the larger handguards are called "M4" handguards.

Bushmaster still sells its rifles with heat-shielded CAR handguards. Here's a picture showing the M4 Patrolman's Carbine with CAR handguards:

So- Your options are:

1- Buy a set of CAR handguards for <$20, and mount everything where you want it as seen in the above picture.
                            2- Buy a LaRue Tactical riser for $120 (or similar riser for ~$50 that may or may not work right) that will raise your optics up over your M4 handguards and put your iron sights in the lower 1/3rd of the viewfinder.
                            3- Buy a railed forearm for $175 (Troy MRF-C) and stretch things out a bit.

Your call...

PS- I'm assuming your have a carbine, not a midlength or a rifle. If my assumption is wrong, this might change things.
                            Last edited by jwise; 12-12-2008, 08:11 AM.
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• If we are to order the top >16 and the lower separately from CMMG, do we still need Form one for NFA?
                              "I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy." - unknown

Comment

• Jwise quick question... My department just ordered 12 RRA AR's with what the Sheriff said to be a 10 inch barrel. Is that even an option? I thought 16 was as short as they came. But if so...

What malfunctions / accuracy issues can I expect from my stubby new patrol rifle?
                                Last edited by Hoosier_Boy; 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7703 users online. 388 members and 7315 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X