Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The YHM is fine, it's just not my pick.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• 1) Re: No info on lowers on CMMG site -- If you click on "firearms" it will take you to a "lower receiver" button.

2) Sorry if I missed it elsewhere in this thread, but what does it mean for an upper to be "T-marked?"

Comment

• Trigger upgrade

How hard is it to replace an AR-15 trigger? If I decide to upgrade later is this a "drop-in" deal I can do myself, or does it take special tools and/or gunsmith?

Comment

• T-markings are the little numbers in the grooves of the picatinny rail, that serve two functions.
          (1) To ensure you have your optics/lasers/other stuff attached to the same spot when you re-attach them after playing with the Quick-Detach levers.
          (2) To look really cool...

AR triggers are pretty simple to install. I admit to having my department armorer do my first two, but after building my own lower from a parts kit, I realized how easy it was. I do all my own work now. All you'll need is a small punch to drift the pins out.
          J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• T-Markings:

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
              The YHM is fine, it's just not my pick.
              Thanks. I really do appreciate your help.
              Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

• Originally posted by yaktamer View Post
                How hard is it to replace an AR-15 trigger? If I decide to upgrade later is this a "drop-in" deal I can do myself, or does it take special tools and/or gunsmith?
                They're all a little bit different. The CMMG trigger is basically two assembled pieces, whereas the original is four. Really threw me off at first. Also the CMMG hammer springs rest on the cutouts on the trigger bushings insted of resting on the inside lower housing. Instructions were a bit lacking in some areas.

I'm holding a DPMS lower parts kit in my hand right now and if it didn't have an exploded diagram, I'd be screwed.
                sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• First off, Thanks Jwise for your input. I just ordered my first AR and this thread was very helpful. I ordered a Stag Model 1 from a co-worker who has his FFL. What upgrades would you say are essential for this rifle?

Comment

• You're welcome!

The Stag Model 1 is your basic M4 type rifle with detachable carry handle.

I would recommend leaving the carry handle on there, and learning how to use iron sights at first (unless you already have extensive training with the AR-15 rifle.)

However, you will need the following:
                    1. Sling
                    2. Magazines
                    3. Ammo

The Stag Model 1 comes with a side sling swivel, so you can get any type of sling you want without worrying about its method of attachment. I run Spec-Ops Mamba slings on my rifles, but there are other good ones out there (tactical 2-point slings like the Viking Tactics sling look really good.)

I recommend Magpul P-Mags, as they are the best value out there.

Wolf is the cheapest out there, and I have run thousands of rounds of the stuff through my rifles with no ill effects. I wouldn't hesitate to stock up on it for the right price. However, you'll want a few boxes of some "good stuff," so you can keep a couple loaded mags on hand. The rifle sports a 16" 1/9 twist barrel, so you'll want a 69gr BTHP. 68gr is also fine. Nothing else.

Good luck, and welcome to the club!
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• "Bump" Can't let this get too far back.
                      Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

• What's the difference between an A3 & a A4 upper?
                        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• I still can't decide between Colt LE6920 or CMMG. With the LEO discount it's kinda hard to pass on the Colt, but the wait might be way way longer I was told.

Comment

• I wish there was a way to capture this entire thread, including pictures, as a downloadable PDF file. Good info.
                            Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              The YHM is fine, it's just not my pick.
                              YHM rails are not in spec, and they have that groove through the center of the rails as well. That alone precludes the use of some accessories.

I would not take them into harms way.

My 0.02

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                                What's the difference between an A3 & a A4 upper?
                                They are the same. Both are flattops.
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10741 users online. 410 members and 10331 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X