Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps you missed the important part, and my posting the original in its entirety did not communicate my response.

Here is an excerpt that is on point:

Originally posted by jwise
    The DEA chose to go with a chrome-lined barrel, whereas that is an option for their standard rifles. The Pro Government Series rifle is a 16" version of the DEA package rifle, and it comes with all the accessories included, and it would make a fine rifle (albeit expensive.)
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• I didnt think you did anything bad J i just think someone has their panties in a bunch.

Everyone wants things the easy way, or someone to put it in bold lettering for them. Just read the damn article people
      sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
      Rocky Balboa
      Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

• Sorry Jwise that was not aimed at you. It was intended for Junior300. I had been lurking around this thread for a bit now and to be honest i had forgotten that you had pointed out that model specifically. But thank you for taking the time to make this post and maintain it for those of us that are not rifle guys.

Comment

• Well I bought one. A Bushmaster XM-15 for $999. Now I want another one. Although I did get everything the OP listed as a quality. A friend got one from a pawn shop and it had never been cleaned and was missing the take down spring and detent as well as the buffer retaining pin. Who knows what else he will find. It is a Hesse for $775.
          Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jere View Post
            Well I bought one. A Bushmaster XM-15 for $999. Now I want another one. Although I did get everything the OP listed as a quality. A friend got one from a pawn shop and it had never been cleaned and was missing the take down spring and detent as well as the buffer retaining pin. Who knows what else he will find. It is a Hesse for $775.
            Congratulations on your purchase.

Hesse/Vulcan is the WORST manufacturer of firearms out there. He should just rebuild the thing.
            J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by powerstroked View Post
              Sorry Jwise that was not aimed at you. It was intended for Junior300. I had been lurking around this thread for a bit now and to be honest i had forgotten that you had pointed out that model specifically. But thank you for taking the time to make this post and maintain it for those of us that are not rifle guys.
              Perhaps you ought to edit your post, so it is not so inflammatory. I believe you violated the code of conduct with that post.
              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• I hope I didn't miss this anywhere, as I re-read the first page - What amount of difference does it make if your lower if 'forged' vs. 'milled'?
                NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• If you buy a milled receiver, you're paying too much.
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                    I hope I didn't miss this anywhere, as I re-read the first page - What amount of difference does it make if your lower if 'forged' vs. 'milled'?
                    Milled is not as hard as forged.
                    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by powerstroked View Post
                      yes i did read the whole post.

Apparently, you didn't.

Originally posted by powerstroked View Post
                      So i wanted to ask a question sorry if i hurt your feelings by doing so you pompous A_________!!

No apologies necessary. My feelings weren't hurt.
                      Last edited by junior300; 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Del-Ton Receiver

Hi All,
                        new member here.

First: BIG TIME HATS OFF to JWISE and all other contributors. Absolutely one of a kind top of the heap!
                        And: It pains me, in no small degree, when i see this thread, however rare, devolve into a ****ing match, or people get plain rude. You know who you are. Immature, and absolutely uncalled for. Have some courtesy! Or go pollute another forum.

Anyways: question: with the ongoing rush, artificial cost increase and shortage of AR15 receivers, i have run into DEl-Ton receivers. Good price.
                        So, what's the general opinion and real life experience with Del-Ton receivers? Anyone please.

Comment

• JWISE,

Thanks for all the info --VERY helpful. My prior black rifle experience consisted of the cruddy M16A1's we had in the army -- you know, barrels scrubbed with Comet to pass white glove inspections so the education was much-needed.

You've pretty much convinced me to go with CMMG, but I'm still on the fence re: some options. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm ex-LEO, so I'm looking for more of a plinker/home defense/coyote gun rather than a patrol rifle. I'm thinking given my needs an 18" SPR will probably work -- a little extra barrel length/weight than a 16 for targets, but not as cumbersome as a 20. 1/8 twist is okay by me

Any idea how much heavier the stainless barrel is? Not that much more expensive in this case.

I plan to go with the M-16 carrier, EGRESS bolt upgrade, polished/extended ramps, ergo suregrip with gapper, JP trigger and standard handguards (for now). Eventually will probably add an EOTech, but figure for now I'll use the standard front sight (with "F" FSB) and a BUIS of some sort. Any reason to consider a different front option , e.g., gas block with flip up sight and picatinny below, or YHM double Picatinny gas block? If so, will they co-witness with the optic the same way an "F" FSB would?

Do I need an H buffer, or is this unnecessary or undesirable with a mid or rifle length gas tube? What about upgraded hammer/trigger pins or pivot pins?

FINALLY (I promise) they make the 18 in three combination: Rifle sight radius/mid-length gas tube ($50 extra); Rifle sight radius/ rifle-length gas tube; and mid/mid. I assume for my purposes the rifle length radius probaly makes more sense than the mid-length, but I'm not sure I understand why I would want a mid-length gas tube with a rifle length sight radius. I'm under the impression that the longer the gas tube the better, or am I missing something????

Comment

• Originally posted by yaktamer View Post
                            JWISE,

Thanks for all the info --VERY helpful.
                            You're welcome.

You've pretty much convinced me to go with CMMG, but I'm still on the fence re: some options. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any idea how much heavier the stainless barrel is? Not that much more expensive in this case.
                            I don't know for sure, but they are medium contour barrels, which is a pretty good contour for extra rigidity without going all the way to HBAR.

I plan to go with the M-16 carrier, EGRESS bolt upgrade, polished/extended ramps, ergo suregrip with gapper, JP trigger and standard handguards (for now). Eventually will probably add an EOTech, but figure for now I'll use the standard front sight (with "F" FSB) and a BUIS of some sort. Any reason to consider a different front option , e.g., gas block with flip up sight and picatinny below, or YHM double Picatinny gas block? If so, will they co-witness with the optic the same way an "F" FSB would?
                            Stay with the fixed front sight base if you're planning on it being something of a defensive rifle at all. If you just want a scoped target rifle, go ahead and go with a flip front sight.

Do I need an H buffer, or is this unnecessary or undesirable with a mid or rifle length gas tube? What about upgraded hammer/trigger pins or pivot pins?
                            No need for the H buffer if you're going with either a Midlength or a Rifle length gas system.

No need to go with the upgraded hammer/trigger pins, nor pivot pins.

FINALLY (I promise) they make the 18 in three combination: Rifle sight radius/mid-length gas tube ($50 extra); Rifle sight radius/ rifle-length gas tube; and mid/mid. I assume for my purposes the rifle length radius probaly makes more sense than the mid-length, but I'm not sure I understand why I would want a mid-length gas tube with a rifle length sight radius. I'm under the impression that the longer the gas tube the better, or am I missing something????
                            Not really sure why they offer the rifle length sight radius with the midlength gas with 18" barrels. With a 16" barrel, I'd rather go with a midlength gas over the rifle length gas.

Here's what I went with:

It's a Rock River upper with a Wilson 1/8 twist stainless steel 16" barrel with midlength gas system and midlength Troy free-float railed handguard.
                            Last edited by jwise; 11-13-2008, 10:25 PM.
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• jwise, over the past couple of weeks and a thread from a year ago you've mentioned a 6.8. I don't know whether to thankyou or hate you for that.

Anyhows, since I have an extra lower, why should I and why shouldn't I get a 6.8 upper? I already have a couple of 5.56.
                              sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                                jwise, over the past couple of weeks and a thread from a year ago you've mentioned a 6.8. I don't know whether to thankyou or hate you for that.

Anyhows, since I have an extra lower, why should I and why shouldn't I get a 6.8 upper? I already have a couple of 5.56.
                                I'll answer this question HERE.
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9665 users online. 496 members and 9169 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X