300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jwise,

Would you say BCM may have an upper hand as far as quality control over CMMG? I know CMMG has more options but BCM offers the same upper you recommended (middy with mid length gas with all the specs) at a decent price and as far as I can tell looking at reviews, they seem to be the best as far as quality control, whereas I'm not sure where CMMG stands on that. They do a High Pressure test on all their barrels and test fire 1 out of each lot. The only problem is they are out of stock of everything and there are tons of people just waiting for a chance to buy from them. Your thoughts?

Jon

Comment

• On the specs, I think BCM is a great company who makes great products. However, I don't have a single product made by BCM, and I don't like to go too far in recommending products which I have not personally handled/tested.

In addition, BCM products are almost ALWAYS out of stock, which brings up some issues: (1) most people are not going to encounter a BCM rifle on any store shelf, and (2) BCM parts are bought up quickly by VERY knowledgeable AR owners building their own rifles, (3) CMMG is now offering BCM parts as factory options.

Good question. I'd probably buy with confidence, but I am SLIGHTLY hesitant to recommend them to new buyers wholeheartedly.
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Went to the range last Friday to break it in some more and try to sight it in. Got the iron sights done and was getting ready for the others and realized I forgot the allen wrenches to make adjustments. I did run 18 rds through 'er without a hiccup using the Guat ammo.

Saturday went to a friends and got it halfway sighted in. 1/2" groups at 50 yds. Fine tune it later for a 100yds. Fired about 80rds without a hiccup using Silver Bear.

No hiccups in almost a 100rds, so maybe it was just a breakin issue.
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• Just got off the phone with Andrew Clyde of Clyde Armory. Told him I found his website from this page.

Looks like if everything goes well, I'll have Colt 6920 before Christmas.

Comment

• Well here is a question for you AR guys out there.
            My wife just bought me a AR in 9mm for my birthday, and the magazine adapter pops right out so the lower will then accept regular 5.56 magazines.
            So my question is, if I wanted to buy an M-4 upper would I need to change the hammer spring and the buffer & spring or just the buffer & spring?
            Forti Fors Bona

Comment

• Originally posted by fyrdog View Post
              Well here is a question for you AR guys out there.
              My wife just bought me a AR in 9mm for my birthday, and the magazine adapter pops right out so the lower will then accept regular 5.56 magazines.
              So my question is, if I wanted to buy an M-4 upper would I need to change the hammer spring and the buffer & spring or just the buffer & spring?
              I know a lot of guys who use 9mm buffers in their 5.56 ARs. The hammer will need to be switched out (I am 95% sure of this.)
              J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Just buy a lower before Osama gets in? What do you think> I'm not quite ready for a full purchase yet (education nor financial wise).

Comment

• Thanks Jwise
                  Forti Fors Bona

Comment

• Originally posted by AgentFox View Post
                    Just buy a lower before Osama gets in? What do you think> I'm not quite ready for a full purchase yet (education nor financial wise).
                    Or two...
                    J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Does this sound like a good set up? its a RRA

223/5.56 NATO Chamber---Forged Upper Receiver---Chrome Lined 16" Wilson Barrel 1:9 Twist---National Match 2 Stage Trigger---Flip Up Rear Sight--- Hogue Rubber Grip---6 Position Tactical CAR Stock---Surefire M73 Light System---Surefire M951 Handguard---EOTech 552 Holosight

Comment

• Originally posted by powerstroked View Post
                        Does this sound like a good set up? its a RRA

223/5.56 NATO Chamber---Forged Upper Receiver---Chrome Lined 16" Wilson Barrel 1:9 Twist---National Match 2 Stage Trigger---Flip Up Rear Sight--- Hogue Rubber Grip---6 Position Tactical CAR Stock---Surefire M73 Light System---Surefire M951 Handguard---EOTech 552 Holosight
                        I now know what JWise must feel like. Did you read any of this thread besides the last 2 pages?

Comment

• Sounds like the DEA special. Rock River Arms is good to go. Carry on!
                          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Does this sound like a good set up? its a RRA

I reiterate:

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                            Rock River Arms MSRP: $835*

Just ignore the specs, and the carry handle. This is the only pic I could find.

This company has made a HUGE name for itself, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because they LOOK most like the Colt than any of the rest? They come standard with the M4 double heat-shielded handguards and the side sling swivel, which is nice if you run a Spec Ops Mamba sling (or any other that needs that piece.) The barrel out front of the F-marked FSB has the M203 notch cut, which makes it LOOK like the Gov't Profile M4 barrel (but really isn't anywhere close!) The complete rifles come standard with RRA Nat'l Match 2-stage triggers, which is SWEET! They have a nice logo (no stupid deer head, or snake), and their prices are reasonable. But what REALLY pushed the fans over the edge is when they won the DEA contract.

The DEA chose to go with a chrome-lined barrel, whereas that is an option for their standard rifles. The Pro Government Series rifle is a 16" version of the DEA package rifle, and it comes with all the accessories included, and it would make a fine rifle (albeit expensive.)

So the only voodoo that RRA has is the black insert in the extractor. That's not bad, but it leaves a lot to be desired. It's basically the same rifle as the Bushmaster, except it does come with an F-marked FSB, but it doesn't use taper pins to hold that FSB on.

No M4 Feedramps:

Gas Key not properly staked:

The firing pin is fully shrouded in the bolt carrier:

The RRA rifle is a nice rifle, if you could get one with a different barrel. In fact, you can. RRA makes stainless steel barrels a factory option, which is the route I took when I bought mine! It's a very nice Wilson 1/8 twist with a Wylde chamber. Very nice barrel on a nice upper receiver. Oh, and speaking of the receiver, it is T-marked in the picatinny rails and has a nice laser engraved logo on the top of the flattop receiver.

The best thing about RRA is the ability to get JUST what you want. They can be had in carbine length, midlength, and rifle length. You can get uppers, lowers, internal parts, etc... They will accomodate different calibers, different barrels, and different types of carry handles (tactical carry handles, Dominator mount, etc...)

So my opinion of RRA is high, it is just guarded. Know before you buy. Select the options that give you the best rifle, and don't buy off the shelf. If you buy RRA, order one.

In summary: order one with the correct specs and you'll be fine!

*Price taken from their website by adding the lower and upper in M4 configuration with the standard trigger (not the 2-stage NM.) This actually includes the upgrade to chrome-lined 1/7 twist gov't profile barrel!
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• yes i did read the whole post. You know the main reason why i made the post? Just so you could post that. Sorry if i am not a AR nut i grew up on shotguns not pistols or rifles. So i wanted to ask a question sorry if i hurt your feelings by doing so you pompous A_________!!

Comment

yes i did read the whole post. You know the main reason why i made the post? Just so you could post that. Sorry if i am not a AR nut i grew up on shotguns not pistols or rifles. So i wanted to ask a question sorry if i hurt your feelings by doing so you pompous A_________!!
                                WHOA, there... Take a seat. I didn't have anything to add to my original post, as I had already spoken to the exact configuration you asked about. I didn't feel like re-typing the whole thing.

All I said was, "I reiterate."

Would you care to reconsider your position on the issue?
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12049 users online. 433 members and 11616 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X